navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » what iz poetry ? also what iz life ?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic what iz poetry ? also what iz life ? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

0 posted 2001-04-09 05:59 AM

"wat is life? also what is poetry?"

i don't knoe if anyone posted this but i was wonderin wat fellow poets think on poetry thoughts or opinions would be great thanks...      

[This message has been edited by anonymous albert ? (edited 04-10-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 ALBY - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2001-04-09 02:30 PM

I read this. Can you please learn to spell.

When you understand, you will know.

Brad

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

2 posted 2001-04-09 04:21 PM

thats ignorance telling me learn to spell! does it matter as in what you say not how you say it... so many people judging on how they speak of what they think instead of judging on what they think of what they speak... i'm going to make that my quote cause i have to explain also to many people of my opinion on things    
and you know what i have my own opinions on poetry and why i started writing also did i post this to expand understanding of poetry not someone tellin me how to spell! sorry but so many people think its the basic thing..tellin me to go back to elementary... though i know! but must things be done by the way it is to be done... thanks anyway sorry i got angry but everwhere i go people be judgin on that gets me mad i can write straight i just like havin my own style in things...

[This message has been edited by anonymous albert ? (edited 04-09-2001).]

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
3 posted 2001-04-09 08:33 PM

Albert, I think that life and poetry are different things to different people. It depends on what we put into life as to what we get out of it. I believe the same goes for poetry, but we can get so much more from poetry than we put in as we can enjoy the work of others.

Brad, have some compassion.

Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life. a brand

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2001-04-09 11:25 PM

I get more people angry with me everytime I tell people to correct their spelling and yet, honestly, isn't telling people that the 'compassionate' thing to do? Am I saying I don't make mistakes? Of course not. I am ignorant because I see 'wat' as a temple in Cambodia? If we don't try to follow the arbitrary rules of spelling, we can't utilize the full resources of the language. If we don't look at the specifics, then the questions asked can't even begin to be answered. I don't mean to anger others (really, I don't) but I don't consider it rude to ask for clarification. I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that there were mistakes in the intended communication here. I used that to answer the questions asked.

The 'what' and the 'how' are the same thing.

Anything less is condescension.

Brad

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2001-04-10 12:08 PM

I don't think you can effectively ask people to have compassion, any more than you can ask them to stop being angry or start feeling love. Emotions aren't so easily turned on and off, not even emotions like frustration.

On the other hand, I think asking for actions - such as tact and courtesy - is a reasonable request.

Albert, there is absolutely nothing wrong with "havin my own style in things," and I think you'll find several examples of that throughout the forums. But your choices will always carry inherent risks, as they do for any writer, and I think you can EXPECT people to judge that style and decide if it is something to which they wish to respond. Or not. If you find a bunch of people who appreciate it then the style is successful, ala e.e. cummings, and your message will be well received. Or not. But in either case, whether your audience accepts your style or rejects it, they are judging your choices and not you as a human being. Getting mad won't help. Instead, you should analyze criticism and use it to fine-tune your choices in style.

Or not.

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
6 posted 2001-04-10 12:40 PM

Brad, I want to publicly appologise for my comment. I may have misunderstood what you meant but I still feel that compassion is the key when trying to encourage or help some one.

Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life. a brand

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

7 posted 2001-04-10 01:36 AM

sorry about earlier and i'll consider all your opinions to the heart and dee compassion is good but does that refer to this situation? and ron thanks for your reply i truly all the way agree with you so i'll put that in mind as a poet i'll have to be judged on work others might find difficult cause deep inside we all are imperfect but only seeking perfection in us as thru poetry we discover who we really are and what we are made of.how strong we are how weak we are at times of our lives.and brad i just think we had some misunderstanding and i'll take it back as calling it ignorance as ignorance seems to sometimes get confused with misunderstandingand until next time i'll meet you guys on a nother topic...
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
8 posted 2001-04-10 02:17 AM

Brad,

Just a suggestion...Might it not be better to ask someone why all the spelling errors instead of the austere command "Learn How to Spell"?  Especially since, for all you knew, this person may have tried very hard to learn how to spell.  Maybe you should be praising him for the progress made in light of his difficulties...I'm not sure of this, it's just a possiblity when looking at an unknown situation.   I'm not trying to throw an insult of pity on Anonymous Albert.  And yes I'm for correct spelling, and against laziness.  But neither you nor I know anything about his life other than this brief post.  Which brings us to tact and respect.  Seeking more knowledge on your part might eliminate your need to demand better spelling, or it might confirm it.  But until you do so, you are making a blind stab with your reproof.  At least it seemed like a bit of a stab to Albert, judging from his reply.  Is this what you intended?  

But to balance this...(Albert)  Correct spelling is a worthy goal to shoot for.  It saves readers from a lot of frustration, and gives a better understanding of what you're trying to say.  

As to your questions Albert.  These are very broad,  I'll have to give them some thought, try to whittle them down, and get back with you.  

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
9 posted 2001-04-10 03:13 AM

Albert,

In answer to your question about life and poetry, I think you said it well yourself in your last reply! Keep writing and the spelling will probably fix itself eventually!
I hope you don't mind if I took the liberty of turning your comments into a poem!  I liked what you said and it inspired me!
(Hey, we're poets, that's what we do right?)

"wat is life? also what is poetry?"

"I'll put that in mind as a poet i'll have to be judged on work others might find difficult cause deep inside we all are imperfect but only seeking perfection in us as thru poetry we discover who we really are and what we are made of.how strong we are how weak we are at times of our lives."

What is life? What is poetry?

A poets work
will be judged
as all other work in life
will be judged
by others
who find it difficult
to understand
that deep down
we all seek to discover
who we really are
what we are made of
how strong we are
how weak we are
all imperfect,
seeking perfection.

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
10 posted 2001-04-10 09:23 AM

Stephanos-  he did ask... he even said please.  You don't get more polite than that.    
I think it is a reasonable request.  

As for your question, Anonymous Al, I'll have to say "life" is the act of being alive, and "poetry" is the collective term for poetic culture.      
There's not much thought to be given to these, I'll contradict Stephanos in that Poetry is a pretty simple concept, considering we've already got a grasp on it good enough to dedicate a large portion of our lives to it.  
Same goes for life.  
~Allan

The sun was born, so it shall die. ~VNV Nation, "Further"

[This message has been edited by Allan Riverwood (edited 04-10-2001).]

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

11 posted 2001-04-10 03:31 PM

thankS again for all them replys and romey i'm glad it was written out of my comment and if so in the future i hope i'll put that poem in the book also if you don't mind and thanks for takin my comments seriously.. also i wrote poems on similar topics as weak and strong but its alright i don't mind. jus know that ITS A PERSONAL QUOTE I TAKE WITHIN MYSELF, ITS FROM THE HEART...

[This message has been edited by anonymous albert ? (edited 04-10-2001).]

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

12 posted 2001-05-02 02:41 AM

no more thoughts

...?

if i die before i wake , i pray the lord my soul will take-"when thugs cry"

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
13 posted 2001-05-24 04:46 PM

Life is poetry in motion. Poetry is the assimlation of our thoughts and feelings on life expressed in texted. One line can be a piece of poetry and can have the same power as two or three pages. Poetry relies on connecting with people can causing an emotional reaction. IF a person is unmoving after reading a piece of poetry then something is wrong.  

"across the unfair divide
where black will never meet white
so read my token lips
as though they never exist"

nicky wire

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
14 posted 2001-05-25 02:06 PM

Life is Living and doing as much as you can and you want without wasting even a minute.
Life is to fill in your dreams and aspirations. Life is for living to the full so enjoy your stay.

Peotry can be song or just a simple piece of music. Poetry is a memory recorded on paper of a view, a emotion, a life and a dream.

The question is not what is life and poetry but what they mean to you.

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
15 posted 2001-05-25 02:12 PM

And Ron you've just helped me figure something out thanks.

Albert dont listen to um I like your sytle

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
16 posted 2001-05-27 01:22 PM

Personally, I found the spelling and grammatical errors distracting, and couldn't fuller grasp what Al was trying to communicate.

Al- I'm going to apply something you said to the question you posed- "does it matter as in what you say not how you say it..."

Well, yes, it does. How you say things applies to the questions of life and poetry. People perceive you and your work in a certain way b/c of how you present yourself. If it didn't matter how people said things, poetry would be a dead language- isn't the poet constantly searching for new ways to use words to make points that are obviously going to be repeated at some point in time? In life, there are many ways to "say" things- thru actions, words, etc., and some do speak louder or more clearly than others. Life and poetry are entirely in the presentation.

If I had a soul I sold it
           for pretty words

-Allen Ginsberg

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » what iz poetry ? also what iz life ?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary