navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Realization
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Realization Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ladycat
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-05
Posts 782
At the edge and a doorway,TX

0 posted 2000-11-28 03:12 AM

I have realized that the more I look at people I'm starting to wonder what makes people interact with other people the way that they do. I'm still not sure about this.  Maybe someone here can give me a little insight to this. What brings some people so close together and others so far apart?

Love,
Lady

Live in my world just once and you'll find yourself enraptured.

© Copyright 2000 Vynette M. Charles-Brooks - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-11-29 12:56 PM

Lady:

First, I think it is important to point out that all social theory is descriptive and many variations in social theory are actually different in little more than point of view.

I have Behaviorist leanings.  The Behaviorist might say that we interact with some in our community because it is positively reinforcing to us (it makes us feel good) and we avoid interacting with other because that interaction is negatively reinforcing (it makes us feel uncomfortable).

I realize I have presented this in an overly simplistic manner but I don't think it is far from the mark.  We date and marry because falling and being in love are positively reinforcing to us (and, conversely, the thought of being alone is negatively reinforcing).  We obey the speed limit because the fear of being stopped by a cop serves as a negative reinforcement to driving fast.  The serial killer does what he does because the sense of power over his/her victims is positively reinforcing.  Racism can be positively reinforcing within neo-nazi communities (recognizing that the neo-nazi mentality is falls far short of being virtuous).

Hope this sheds some light for you.

Jim

Ladycat
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-05
Posts 782
At the edge and a doorway,TX
2 posted 2000-11-29 10:36 PM

Thank you so much that is a great point of view.  I just wish that there were others that could give me several different points of views though.  Thank you very much though.

Love,
Lady

Live in my world just once and you'll find yourself enraptured.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
3 posted 2000-12-01 05:07 PM

Lady:

Rather than try to summarize many of the different views, I'll drop a few names and you can dig in for your self.  In the study of human behavior, I recommend B. F. Skinner (the founder of Behaviorism).  Piaget was the founder of a different Cognitive Development school of thought.  

Much information can be found by looking into disorders that involve social interaction (autism, PDD, Asperger's Syndrome).  Dr. Ivar Lovaas pioneered a branch of Behaviorism called Applied Behavioral Analysis that has made landmark strides in the understanding and treatment of autism spectrum disorders (autism involves a deficiency in appropriate social behavior including speech and social engagement).

I am afraid my experience and knowledge is limited to the Cognitive and Behavioral models and, therefore, I do not think I can offer you much more.  I am a witness, however, to the effectiveness of Applied Behavioral Analysis in the treatment of autism and am an advocate for the approach (because it works).  I do think a good and interesting place for you to begin is by studying effective treatments of social disorders.  Good luck.  

Jim

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Realization

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary