navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Cryonics
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cryonics Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Horizon
since 2000-10-04
Posts 51

0 posted 2000-10-09 12:23 PM

"Cryonic Suspension is an experimental Procedure whereby patients who can no longer be kept alive by today's medical capabilities are preserved at low temperatures for treatment in the future"

The quote above was taken from a article by Steve Bridge The subject title was "Cryonics and the Alcor Life Extension Foundation."

They believe that by slowing the person's body temperature after the moment of d cardiac arrest or "legal death" will provide them with the means to cure in a future time, there diseases, reverse aging process and the damage that may have been done from the freezing.

http://www.cryonet.org/archive/972

Would you ever have this done?

What are your beliefs on this?

The above link is where I got my information.

[This message has been edited by Horizon (edited 10-09-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Horizon - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2000-10-09 12:37 PM

I would never do it because it would leave me vulnerable to Dr. Evil -- he might send someone to steal my Mojo...

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2000-10-09 05:57 PM

'Git in mah belly!'

ROFL @ Local Rebel!!!

Horizon - this is hardly a new concept. I just took a peek at the URL you posted, but I can still see that it's dated several years back. But even before then, some of the sci-fi greats have envisioned things along these lines (of course I can't think of anyone far back at the moment as luck would have it...lol)

Personally, I think with an already over-populated world, it's a bad idea to prevent everyone from dying. Death is as much a part of living (for all you non-immortals like me) as is being born. The whole "Circle of Life" thing.

Granted, some postulate that with the extended life-spans cryogenics could bring on, people would be less likely to have children. But I doubt that - with an always increasing life span, we've done the exact opposite. We breed more and more and more. We've know it was a problem many moons ago, yet there's still no solution in sight to curb it, or to provide a release valve.

Aside from the mojo problem, lol, I think freezing people, providing a longer life span, will only add pressure to the problems we have now.

I say let's find a solution to the larger problem, before we do something to make it even worse.

peace,

C.

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
3 posted 2000-10-09 06:33 PM

Walt Disney had himself cryovacced... er, i mean frozen with the method you speak of ... really...i don't think it's some rumor, i think it's true... i don't know if he did it for the mojo or for what, though...  
Horizon
since 2000-10-04
Posts 51

4 posted 2000-10-09 07:08 PM

Lmao@Local Rebel.

Christopher- you are right this is not a new concept, I can remember years ago seeing a program on TV about it.  I found it interesting the idea that we could be frozen to one day wake up many years later. I can almost understand the full body being frozen, but when I watched the show some where just haveing their head done.  I'm sorry but if there is even a chance they could come back and fix whatever problem I have I hope they have a better body then I did before.     maybe a 5' 6 frame. hehe

The problem I have with this  is that I believe in God and that when you die your soul goes to heaven.  If they can restore life to me then everything I believed just went out the door.

Not only that but I would be floating in Limbo for a long time. Just a chillen..no pun intened.    

Besides, when I finally get thawed everyone I loved will be gone.

It is possible I think to a point. When drowned victims were revived after being under for a long time it was the fact that they were in extreme temptures that kept them going.

I don't know it's scary to think that I could be around forever.  Hell, I'm not doing to well with the life I have now. lol

Doreen- I think you are right about Walt Disney, I heard the same thing...What a small world    

Thank you everyone for your input.

[This message has been edited by Horizon (edited 10-09-2000).]

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
5 posted 2000-10-10 01:34 PM

With my luck they would thaw me out, cure me, and make me work in civil service until I caught a new disease they have no cure for...

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
JP

Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so.
B. Russell

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
6 posted 2000-10-10 02:44 PM

Well then Horizon - I think you're breaking off in a whole new direction - the definition of "what" a soul is. Basically what I hear you saying, the soul is part of the "body." I have a hard time accepting that...  

LOL@JP!!! - Then you could just keep coming back, and back and back...

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
7 posted 2000-10-10 03:34 PM

cryonics.....

isn't that what happens when women watch the lifetime network?  

Horizon
since 2000-10-04
Posts 51

8 posted 2000-10-10 04:04 PM

Chris- I believe that the body is a container for our soul, "we" are a soul.

I just can't believe that if one has been dead for many years that the soul is still part of the body...to me you may be able to repair or bring back a body that was once dead but you would be left with a zombie, with no brain function of a "normal" human being.

I can understand if a person has been considered dead for minutes or even an hour, but years upon years?  bring them back to be excatly who they were befor they died.

I do not know much about death, I never done it before..      you maybe able to bring back a body but not a life.

It reminds me too much of Frankensteine.

Local Rebel   I personally love Life time..  

thanks everyone...

[This message has been edited by Horizon (edited 10-10-2000).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
9 posted 2000-10-10 04:46 PM

Ok then, based on acceptance of your definition of soul (for arguements sake) then we have to define the next part:

"What is death?"

If death is when you've lost brain activity, then hell - I don't have a soul. (Might explain a few things actually... ) I fell off the top of a van when I was younger and momentarily died. Obviously I was revived. LOL

Me, I think death is when you don't come back at all... LOL, whether it's five seconds of five years - if you're breathing, moving, whatever, you're alive. Whether you're living or not is another thread...

Chris

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2000-10-10 05:18 PM

um... I don't think you meant to address that lifetime remark to JP... LOL

cry-onics... cry  lol  

yust makin a yoke...  

Horizon
since 2000-10-04
Posts 51

11 posted 2000-10-10 05:34 PM

Awww I'm sorry Local Rebel..I love lifetime...Happy?    Okay I never said I was smart just a great at B.S..  

Chris- As I said, To be dead is when you cannot be brought back..or atleast that is what I meant.

Who knows when the "soul" leaves the body, but I think In my views there is a certain amount of time a person has before the "soul" leaves your body.  You have a period of time to revive a person before they are considered dead. After that window of time leaves so does life.  

All I am saying is, a Hundred years after I die I dout very highly that I could be brought back, not to the person I am today atleast.

Personally, out of all of this I would never want to do something like freeze myself.  My God by the time I would come back and being if I am "normal" I would have no family or friends left.  

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
12 posted 2000-10-10 06:00 PM

OK - So if you can be brought back (which is the assumption here - the point in freezing yu is to bring you back), then you're not dead if they bring you back 100 years from now, and your beliefs aren't thrown out the window!

As for friends and family - wouldn't they too be frozen???  

Local Rebel - You've given me several laughs today - thanks!

Horizon
since 2000-10-04
Posts 51

13 posted 2000-10-10 06:42 PM

Whaaaaa?    

Chris- First of all why would my family be frozen?  This Proceedure is based on whoever wants it.  And it cost thousands of dollars.  
So even If I had the money and wanted to do it that does not mean my family would want to or friends.

The only  reason I believe you can be revived soon after death is for the fact that your brain has not stopped functioning although legally you are considered dead  that does not mean you can't be revived, hence the fact (in my belifs) your soul has not yet left your body. When, the body dies the soul leaves... In my opinion.

The way they say they do this is when a person is dead in all the sense of death.  So how can you be brought back after hundreds of years and still have a soul? if you have no brain function. I just don't think it can be done, if it could be it woulden't be me as I am today.

I'm gonna make myself a drink a go watch lifetime.    

[This message has been edited by Horizon (edited 10-10-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Cryonics

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary