navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Too Close
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic Too Close Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought

0 posted 2003-05-14 03:00 AM

Your tears were filling my eyes,
And I squirmed to readjust.
My conscience rigged my mind
To be afraid of this emotion.

Maybe I was vulnerable
- Not so innocent –
I knew your pain and felt
The teary, cheek-bite, red-face, fear.

It was past my comfort-zone.
An edge too close to pulsing veins.

But I’m sorry,
I went silent
When I should have had the words.

Blank eyed, battered breathing,
I left you on your own
In hopeless search for meaning.

Impolite
– I’m so sorry -
It was too close
To my veins.

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

© Copyright 2003 GG - All Rights Reserved
El_Campeador
since 2003-01-29
Posts 761
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2003-05-14 08:39 AM

You hit a little too close to home, Alyssa... There have been too many times when I didn't know what to do, and so I just walk away. Either that, or I do something dumb and regret it later. Thanks for the write.

Blessings,

El Campeador

“We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” –Robert Louis Stevenson

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
2 posted 2003-05-14 09:02 AM

Alyssa,

Very sensitive and realistic. It is difficult finding the balance of giving of oneself without depleting our own soul. (Linda had a poem with that particular idea)

Even more, I believe there is a point in time we instinctively know when to back off and let God.  It is hard, for often compassion and empathy rule our hearts.  The I shoulda's creep in and a different kind of fear for them and ourselves settles in....

It is also difficult if, as children, we were the 'strong' one...a moniker too often which follows us to adulthood and takes awhile to figure out we are not, nor do we have to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders.

Brave and courageous are good characteristics, but not STRONG....never that....a mind warper for sure.....And, then when we see we are not we are loaded with guilt...

Shrug it off...it is not yours.. letting go of other's and letting God takes awhile to accomplish...

I like this poem a lot. I believe you have captured what many of us experience.

Hugs and love ya,  Pat

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
3 posted 2003-05-14 09:17 AM

Well, Alyssa, I don't have anything as meaningful to say as Pat did, but I do know what you mean. And, I have been there, too. In fact, I think everyone has at some point in their lives. If not, they certainly will be.
Heart hugs to you,  
Ethel

By the way, I think (from your poems and replies) that you are one of the most compassionate and sensitive people I have ever met, and that you would  NEVER  do or say anything intentionally to hurt another person.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2003-05-14 02:30 PM

Alyssa~

'It was past my comfort-zone.
An edge too close to pulsing veins.'

I've felt 'that close' ...~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2003-05-14 03:16 PM

wow! i love this one Alyssa! great stuff!
Ericc
Member Elite
since 2003-01-31
Posts 4178

6 posted 2003-05-14 07:55 PM

Very moving.
Eric

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
7 posted 2003-05-14 08:04 PM

great write

It matters not how you answer, It matters only that i hear you.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
8 posted 2003-05-14 08:49 PM

El Campeodor,
yea its a common experience, sometimes too common. The pain just gets so great that you know you can't help yourself, much less them! Thanks for the reply

Pat,
This was written after I was on both ends of the line. You're right, it can be difficult to find the right balance. Its so hard to know if God wants to work around you, or through you. And yes, I do sometimes take on the strong roll (not obvious, is it!) I go by the saying that my allies may never know my name, but my enemies know my name and run. ...Its just important not to fight others' fights, when they can  do it themselves. Thanks for the reply Hugs and love...

Ethel,
Don't under-estimate yourself! Anything you have to say is of importance, to me, and should be to everyone. I think you're right, we're all in this place at some time.
Thank you for your kind words, I do hope you are right You're a sweetie. Hugs to you.

Always, Alyssa

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
9 posted 2003-05-14 08:53 PM

Marge,
Its good to know others relate. Makes me not feel quite as weird, though I am!! Thank you for replying and letting me know

Dixie,
Thank you! You seem more talkative and enthusiastic lately, I'm glad

Ericc,
Thanks sir, it was from the heart

QjQ,
I'm glad you think so Thanks for replying.

Always, Alyssa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Too Close

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary