navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » I LOVE HIM WITH AN AWARENESS
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic I LOVE HIM WITH AN AWARENESS Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL

0 posted 2003-05-09 03:45 AM

Just a thought...
We are all human..have all made terrible terrible mistakes...and hurt people, but are we to be punished for them for the rest of our lives by being denied the chance to love again or be loved? Hope this triggers more thought in someone than petty childish spite and competition. "Tis a sad thing when we hold to someone for spite or to make them feel guilty. Just trying to send a direct and honest message here without making myself open to being accused of e-mail harassment. Thanks for letting this be my ground for speech and poetry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am aware of his potential for madness
the grip he can show
when desperate to find a solution or a silence,
but I will not condemn someone who loves me
(and who I love)
to judgement
before a chance finds him
to prove that he has gentle restraint.
I am aware of the contradictions
the policies of paranoia surrounding a heart
already shattered by unkempt promises
but I will not deny him love nor chance
just because love stung
and he, quite naturally, fights back.
I am not quite the child you take pleasure in thinking I am
swept off her guard by violent storms
of the bad things he can be.
(all of us are bad things one time or another)
I am aware of the cloud in the distance
and also aware of the potential
for sunlight to overpower the grey.
(it already has)
I don't have to fight your imagined battle
because I already have his heart.
I want for love
and you want for spite and revenge,
and I have already felt those hands
around my throat.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

[This message has been edited by Temptress (05-09-2003 10:18 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Jennifer - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2003-05-09 03:46 AM

*sitting in silence, thinking now*
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
2 posted 2003-05-09 07:45 AM

Well, the word: ~love~ seems to be a catch all word for many things to many people. Though, in my reality it can be defined with one other word: ~respect~ an open-ended giving from both parties.

The only other comment, for this seems to touch deeper than I'd like, is I have been choked, hands around my neck til nearly passing out, that man had and has no guilt and no shame. Because he can't feel, except through that pain which he reproduces in others.

Can he ever be called a man? Sick, works well for me. But a man? Lovable?
Trustworthy? Honorable? Worthy of love, of course and when I get my doctorate degree in psychiatry I'll know how to do that.  

Perhaps I am missing the point here. To each his own.  

Interesting write.

[This message has been edited by regards2you (05-09-2003 10:33 AM).]

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
3 posted 2003-05-09 07:52 AM

My reply has not come up for edit..in thinking more, I do have his heart...he loves me....I just don't have his mind, and neither does he, he lost it..

Yes, this definitely causes pause.

Again, a real interesting piece...

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
4 posted 2003-05-09 09:59 AM

ROFL!
Ummmm..
I can see that this needs a little rewording.
I didn't mean actual madness like in mental sickness.
Maybe I should try to find another description, and the hands around my throat thing..well..that wasn't a physical violence thing.
I think this one needs work.
Sorry to alarm anyone.

lol..sorry..can't help it here. Thanks for reading, everyone.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

[This message has been edited by Temptress (05-09-2003 10:00 AM).]

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
5 posted 2003-05-09 10:15 AM

regards...
you have mail...

Moonlight Romeo
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-09-10
Posts 982
The heart of you
6 posted 2003-05-09 10:22 AM

I do not see it that way.  I see it as this is someone who has done some things wrong in their past.  As you said before, "Who has not?"  They are now, not as they were, but have changed.  Perhaps, you have been warned about their past behavior, but, you are willing to take that chance to see past those mistakes, and give them your heart, just as they have given theirs to you.

This is one of the measures of love, if we can love someone as they are, and not as they were, then, they too can love us this way in return.

I do not see the madness as a literal one, but rather, as a figurative one, one that is used here with license.  This person has left behind what he was, to be what he can be with you.  

Of course, I am probably taking the whole poem too literaly, and thinking that it reflects your life right now, but, I am merely speaking of the figure that you are speaking of in your poem, real or not.  I feel that you did not mean to portray him as some may have seen, but rather, in another way, as someone who has come back to love, after being away for so long.

Thank you for the chance to present my thoughts and feelings to this well written poem.  I apologize if I have been a little, shall we say, "long winded".

Thank you again.

Peace is the only battle worth waging.
--- Albert Camus

[This message has been edited by Moonlight Romeo (05-09-2003 10:22 AM).]

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
7 posted 2003-05-09 12:37 PM

I would agree with everything that MR has said above. . . people make mistakes. . .and sometimes, they are made to pay more for those mistakes then they should. . .

but. . .just because they make those mistakes, doesn't mean that they should pay for them forever. . .they should be released from wherever they are, and allowed to be free and to do with their life as they choose. . .

well done. . . a powerful poem. . . I hope that the message that you're trying to send here is heard as it is meant to be, and not as it might be seen. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
8 posted 2003-05-09 12:42 PM

Oh do I get this.  

Susan

Janette
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-07-20
Posts 2843
Chicagoland for now
9 posted 2003-05-10 12:58 PM

I think I understand, and hopefully "they" will also.  A very thought provoking read here dear Lady!

I read some quotes tonight that seem to kinda go along with this theme and felt the need to share them with you.

The weak can never forgive.
Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
Mahatmu Gandhi

and this one too ...

We come to love not by finding a perfect person
but by learning to see
an imperfect person perfectly
author unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » I LOVE HIM WITH AN AWARENESS

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary