navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » FAT LADY (repost and quite TRUE! )
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic FAT LADY (repost and quite TRUE! ) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kitty**
since 1999-07-27
Posts 428
Charlottesville,VA USA

0 posted 2003-01-11 11:03 PM

FAT LADY

From room to room she paces. It's time now, to end her lies.
In shreds around her, lies her life, as tears fall, from her green eyes.

She knows, she can not make it, the bills have piled too high.
The stress has finally taken it's toll, as she slips to the floor and cries.

This humble home is all she has, It's her shelter from the cold.
There’s no way out, what can she do? Toss in her hand and fold?

She's tried so hard to make ends meet, with the wolves pounding at her door.
But now she's tired of fighting it all, there's no where to turn anymore.

As she sits there crying, a rage starts from deep within.
"Damned, if I'll give up" she says, "If I loose it, I'll just start again"!

Once more she starts to pace the rooms, ideas racing through her head.
"I'll never give up", she mutters, as she prepares herself for bed.

She knows not what tomorrow holds, but there’s one damn thing that’s certain.
'It's not over till the fat lady sings, and she sees the drop of the final curtain'!

BTW: I survived this ordeal and came out a WINNER!! ;-)

[This message has been edited by Kitty** (01-11-2003 11:05 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Kitty Sandridge - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2003-01-11 11:40 PM

my, you just have a really bad impression of wolves...glad you made it through it all!
Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
2 posted 2003-01-12 04:14 AM

Kitty~Harsh telling write.
You have much to be proud of.
Glad you made it...Paul

"To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you"

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2003-01-13 08:44 AM

Being a survivor is crucial in this day and age - Stand tall and proud of your accomplishments... Nicely said, Kitty...
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
4 posted 2003-01-13 08:58 PM

Kitty,

I loved this poem. The determination it took to get back on your feet. I've been there and can relate. Survival + is the name of the game. I am happy for you and reminding how hard it was. I rarely critique, but have to mention to you one thing which has kept me from replying. It takes so much away from your poem. I have a dear, dear friend who is  sshhhhh, FAT,(260)  and has a voice she could earn money with....the suffering she goes through is heartbreaking...she's done everything to lose, and I personally think she is stuffing some feelings, but not my business, my job is to love her, and it isn't hard work...she is precious....My twin sister, who was completely opposite of me in every way possible, had a weight problem and at 5'2, in high school weighed about 250 lbs. (I weighted in at 110 and 2 inches taller) .....FAT LADIES suffer so much....I was sorry to see you use it in your last two lines and the title, which I said, I think detracted from your talent and sensitive nature....

Anyway, I do like your poem. Thanks for sharing it....

Hugs and warm regards, Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

SimplyGold
since 2002-07-10
Posts 1453

5 posted 2003-01-14 08:03 PM

Kitty,

I read your poem with great interest. I can emphasize with these feelings of despair. It is moving to experience the personal sense of renewal that the writer has. I like how the intensity takes the reader in, I liked the refusal of the writer to accept life's circumstanial situation and then resolves it with such determination.

As far as the use of "fat lady". I did not find this offensive. In fact, I believe that "fat" is as beautiful as "thin". In each case health should be the priority. I know plenty of beautiful women who think of themselves as "fat" and as a result do themselves a diservice. Our perceptions of what we are and what we think we should be are quite distorted and therefore, it is imperative that we change our personal views of ourselves first. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If we think about ourselves in terms of our personal health and not in terms of how others think, I believe we will benefit in greater ways. Weight is a byproduct of many other things and will change naturally without having to  be fixated on it if we address other areas of our lives. And if we are fat? So be it. Stay in good health, love yourself and those close to you, to bad with everyone else. In the long run they don't matter anyway!

Enough said.

Hugs,
SG

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » FAT LADY (repost and quite TRUE! )

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary