navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » The Demon Telemarketing
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Demon Telemarketing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Diane Coway
since 2002-08-01
Posts 61
USA

0 posted 2003-01-03 02:25 AM

The colors kaleidoscope,
Mingle and mesh together,
Without taking a pause.
Blues running into greens,
Yellows, oranges, and reds,
Trapped in a small cubicle.
Cringing as computer dials,
Praying for a friendly voice.
Minutes seem an eternity.
Running out of the building,
Refusing to re-enter there,
In fear insanity would win.
A sigh of relief--
Never again…No more…
Free of the cubicle!

Coway (C) 2000 Revised 1/3/03

© Copyright 2003 Bonet - All Rights Reserved
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
1 posted 2003-01-03 03:11 AM

Diane,

Never been in that situation, but feel like I have now. Interesting write.

Warm regards, Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
2 posted 2003-01-03 03:14 AM

I have a sister who used to do telemarketing.
I always thought it seemed quite a horrible job.. you've explained well and confirmed my thoughts.
Good write.

Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
3 posted 2003-01-03 04:59 AM

glad i didn't try that job!
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2003-01-03 11:30 AM

It's a thankless job - and it's become so terribly intrusive to our home and family lives, hasn't it?  I think even folks who do the job prefer not to be on the receiving end of such calls.  

You've portrayed the anguish of the insider well here, Diane - I'm glad you got out - It's a thankless entity.

My defense has simply become my CallerID - If I don't answer, I don't have to be rude...

visitvenus
since 2002-12-30
Posts 101
PA, USA
5 posted 2003-01-03 12:43 PM

Nice to get the view from the other side.  I always try to be polite, because I do know what telemarketers have to go through -- we in the market research industry have been plagued by people just THINKING we're going to try to sell them something.

Personally, I think the only job that would be worse is the customer service operator -- having to ANSWER calls from people screaming about stuff.

Good luck to you and I hope you find a job you can love!

-Venus

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
6 posted 2003-01-03 07:18 PM

Hmmmm...thank you for showing the other side of these 'demon' callers. I try hard not to be rude, but these calls have become so intrusive. Our state has just put into effect a new law, "Do Not Call."

It allows residents to sign up to block telemarketing calls to our homes and if telemarketing firms ignore a signed up phone number, there is a $5,500 fine per violation.

Not quite sure how it's enforced, but I can't wait to see if it really works.

Nice job of writing ... Marti

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-01-03 09:04 PM

I've been in that spot before. Now as a receiver, I usually just say 'No, thank you' and hang up. Occasionally I will ask if they get paid by the number of calls even if they don't make a sale. (yes, there are a few companies that do this) If they say yes, I give them 2 minutes.
Diane Coway
since 2002-08-01
Posts 61
USA
8 posted 2003-01-04 02:38 PM

LOL...enjoyed your replies.  I only did this for a few months in the year 2000.  Wrote the poem, found it in my files and re-vised it before posting.  Not a good job, but I do feel sorry for the people doing it...after being one for even a short while.
In answer to the question.  Paid very low, only got commission, (Which is also very small) on calls that said Yes to the product and bought.  I am not sure how other telemarketer companies do this.

Rainbowdust
since 2002-12-05
Posts 320
Sydney, Australia
9 posted 2003-01-05 04:42 AM

Lol.. Been doing telemarketing for two months and still going! And if it wasn't for the other wonderful people working there, it'd be the bane of my existence! Never heard a poem about it before though, thanks for sharing!

The soul would have no rainbows, had the eyes no tears.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » The Demon Telemarketing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary