navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » Shadows of the Mind
Spiritual Journeys #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shadows of the Mind Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jjote
since 2002-12-25
Posts 1088
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2003-01-24 10:54 PM

There are private niches in my mind,
where lie a motley of memories and visions-
reminders of past  pains and heartaches.
Strains of a melancholy song haunt me.
Emotional scars that never healed still cling,
I remember stoking a bruised ego.

This collection of fragments and images
are the driftwood bits and pieces that grow
in darkness, like sharp pieces of coral emerging
out of the shadows of the mind, to become
nightmares – keepers of discarded memories.
There is no magic in nightmares.

Sleep is the refuge for the cold lordly glooms
of the unconscious;  offering solace or forgetfulness.
But their coming into my dreams only awakens
their existence. I am captive in their power.
And yet, like Pandora and her box,
I am loathe to seal the lock, bury them forever..

Maybe it’s time to dream new dreams, not mourn
old ones; to believe in the promise of laughter day brings;
that there’s a season for grieving and a time for forgiving.
and a Supreme Being who watches and cares.

© Copyright 2003 Josefina Costales - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2003-01-25 01:39 AM

(big hugggssssssss) I know just how you feel, sweet friend, I hate the darkness and love to stay up late as being alone brings back memories of my nightmares and seizures and horrors and I seek sleep in the morning! (sigh) Know there is a light and He is always watching over you to pull you out of the shadows, sweet friend, God Bless You, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Josefina, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
2 posted 2003-01-25 11:34 AM

This is without a doubt a very thought provoking read and enormously well done. Okay! so I'll tell you what I really think - I LIKE IT VERY MUCH!
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
3 posted 2003-01-25 07:12 PM

The past is gone.  Do not let it control the future.  Joyce
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
4 posted 2003-01-27 01:40 PM

Josefine,

I agree with your poem, I think that there comes a time when we do need to begin dreaming about whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, and whatsoever things are of good report. (Amen) A very good and I felt an honest poem written from your heart.  Good Job.

-Bob

You asked me on my post "First Day of Perpetuation" what is my style of writing in terms of meter and I'll try my best to answer here... I think for the most part, now that I kind of understand meter a bit, that I try to write using Tetra-meter (4) over Penta-meter (5) because the prior makes for much shorter poems that I think are more suitable for the general reading audience here and I usually, when I'm trying to write using meter, write using Iambic Feet rather than Trochaic Feet, but lately I've been challenging myself to write a few poems using Trochaic Feet. The last poem that I wrote, Crimson Red, is written using Trochaic Feet. For anyone who is reading this and has no idea what I'm talking about, us "mature" (Smiles) poets like to write with our feet as a challenge once-in-awhile instead of writing with our hands. Anyway, that gives you a rough idea where I'm at currently with writing poetry using meter. As far as Ballades go, they do require a whole lot of rhyming. 3 stanza's of a-b-a-b-b-c-b-C and the last staza of b-c-b-C.... that's 14 different (b) words that all need to rhyme. Wow!! Talk about nightmares, A Ballade can be a real nightmare for sure. Thanks for asking and GOD bless you my friend.  -Bob

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Spiritual Journeys #2 » Shadows of the Mind

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary