navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » Don't Look
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic Don't Look Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia

0 posted 2002-10-22 07:26 PM

*This is a little poem for my son who finds the frustration of not being able to remember beyond five minutes difficult to bear.

Don't look behind the hollow shell
To find the man you knew so well
He is not here he's gone away
Hidden from the light of day

Thoughts concealed from light of day
The injured brain takes them away
Buried deep and held by pain
He cannot find the path again

Synapses for the path again
Are lost within the injured brain
And can't be traced, the thought is gone
The injury lives on and on

Don't look behind the eyes to see
The person that used to be he
Within the spaces of the brain
The character is gone again

Each day and night he struggles free
Not seeking care or sympathy
And everyday is still the same
He's lost within this hollow brain

In pathways new he'll build again
Find a way through all this rain
Secure the knowledge he can see
Learning in time how to be free

Until the time that he does well
Don't look for him within this shell
Don't look ...

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

© Copyright 2002 Lynne Dale - All Rights Reserved
Robert Adamson
since 2002-10-21
Posts 328
PA/USA
1 posted 2002-10-22 08:37 PM

In pathways new he'll build again
Find a way through all this rain
Secure the knowledge he can see
Learning in time how to be free

Wow, certainly much input here. I think learning how to be free is always on our kids minds. I really can't imagine all their fears. I am satisfied with Don't Look.
Thanks much.

etoodog

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
2 posted 2002-10-22 08:55 PM

Kethry - very precious write for the little guy, very nice...

BC

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
3 posted 2002-10-22 09:00 PM

Keth beloved heart, don’t look now but you’ve written something incredible again. Truly darling heart is it necessary for you to excel in whatever and whichever style you write? I’ll answer my own question yes it is because you cannot write anything that is not superb.

Don’t look for the smile inside the word
It isn’t there the voice stays unheard
The memory trace fades away too fast
There is no hope of recalling the past

Don’t look for the hope that shines bright
It’s fled for fear into the dark of night
The hand that reaches out for aid
Is not recalled the memories fade

Don’t look for clues they fade away
The memory’s gone for another day
Who knows what is in the memory?
And does it hold the key to being free

You know I truly love this from you, as always beloved heart it is exquisite, and you are by far too too talented

Love and warm stuff
as always
Mushy

Breathe through the heat of our desire
Thy coolness and they balm
Let sense be dumb let flesh retire
Speak through the earthquake wind and fire

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
4 posted 2002-10-22 09:13 PM

Robert,
I am glad you are satisified with don't look. I wasn't going to post it because it is a little personal so thank you for responding.

Bill,
my son is hardly a little guy, he is 26 although I expect him having an ABI keeps him ever young.

Marsha,
says she who matches me meaning for meaning and word for word in everything she writes.

Keth

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
5 posted 2002-10-22 10:25 PM

Kethry, I am dumbfounded and speechless. This is quite a poem. And, as soon as I can figure how to get my bottom chin up off my chest, I can probably say something else.

I don't know the background of this but it certainly touched me very, very deeply. What a write! I really don't know what to make of it? It is heart wrenching..

Warmly,
Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

[This message has been edited by regards2you (10-22-2002 11:20 PM).]

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
6 posted 2002-10-22 10:35 PM

Kethry, I found this very touching.  I also don't know the background, but can feel a mother's love throughout this piece.

The stars will shine when I am gone,
the earth will turn on as before,
the gulls, still race along the shore,
the morning star, still kiss the dawn

FuzzyFrazzledFraggle
since 2002-09-20
Posts 155
Fraggle Rock
7 posted 2002-10-23 12:32 PM

as everyone else has stated...heartfelt I know not the background either but I feel the emotions pouring

Consider yourself fuzzed

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
8 posted 2002-10-23 01:40 AM

regards2you, sorry I didn't mean to flabbergast you. The background is as follows, three years ago my son was assaulted, he was knocked unconcious and he sustained head injuries. he bled into his brain and required emergency life saving surgery. For a long time I was not sure if he would live but he did and now leads a fairly normal if restricted life. He still has problems with memory and sometimes he is not the person I knew but he manages and grows. I have unlimited admiration for him and the way he keeps struggling and winning against the odds.

Auguste,
thank you, I'm glad the mother love shows through. I love him very much even at times I want to strangle him or me because of the frustration.

fuzzyfrazzledfraggle,
thank you for seeing the emotion, when I write something personal the emotion is usually locked away behind steel doors.

Kethry

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
9 posted 2002-10-23 10:49 AM

Kethry, thank you so much for the explanation, and didn't mean to have sounded so flabbergasted. You wrote this so well, it was stunning. Twisted my head sideways...is this saying what I think it is, I asked myself.
Such a talented writer, you are. I am
surely sorry for this trial you are all going through. You are in my prayers. May it get easier to bear.
What also does come through and a lesson for us all is your acceptance and surrender and your grace which comes shining through....thank you.Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
10 posted 2002-10-23 10:57 AM

It takes a loving and courageous Mother to  bear with it all and to continually support  him..

And he has that in you, Keth

hugssss
M

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
11 posted 2002-10-23 11:42 AM

Kethry, dear friend, another amazing work you have written here. Your love that is so real and touching is put forth so enormously in this poem. Thank you.

In one of your replies, you said that you started not to post it because it was so personal. One of the reasons that I love your poetry is because no matter what the subject, you also show an overwhelming part of yourself in it. In some words of poets, you have to figure out if all of it is their imagination or if they really feel this way. Your work touches my heart every time because I don't have to figure out if it's real....I just know in my heart that it is.

May God continue to bless your son in the only way HE can. Thanks again for sharing YOU.
Love To All,
Ethel

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
12 posted 2002-10-23 11:45 AM

Dear Kethry, what an ordeal this must have been, and continues to be for you all. You've been to hell and back. Hopefully, as time goes by, his memory will improve. In my profession, I have seen miracles happen for those who have had what was considered irreversilbe brain damage. I am praying that this will be the case for your beloved son.

Blessings to you all and may I add, that this poem was a beautifully written expression of love for your son.

Linda

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
13 posted 2002-10-23 12:34 PM

OhKethry~
The heart of a mother is astounding ...

The fortitude to have 'survived' and continue to go forward in his life ... is something your son has been blessed with~

The 'personal' write is truly from the heart of a wonderful mother~

I love you ... and miss you soooooooooo much~
*Huggers*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
           noles1@totcon.com                       

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
14 posted 2002-10-23 03:59 PM

Whenever I think of love and courage, I'll think of this... It epitomizes both. Amazing write, Kethry!
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
15 posted 2002-10-23 04:48 PM

Kethry dear...this is wonderful....but I can understand his frustration....I can't remember much longer than that either...what was this poem about again?.....oh, and thanks for the gifts.....you're a sweetie
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
16 posted 2002-10-23 05:48 PM

regards2you,
thanks for coming back to read my explanation, usually it's not bad and love overcomes a multitude of sins and frustrations (as you would probably know.) I am glad you think I'm a good writer, I think and write and sometimes it turns out ok - I tried not writing and I got myself so tied up in knots I learned it is better to write and get it out of my system.

Maureen,
given that you have been through a bit yourself, I thank you lovely lady

garysgirl,
Thank you, one of the highest compliments I can give is to say someone's work is real, you have just made my day, my week, my year.

Earth Angel,
it was not so much an ordeal as a series of unfortunate events and we all coped so it's okay. Thank you for responding with such a positive slant.

Marge,
I blame you for this, here I was safely locked behind closed doors and you went and broke down my barriers with amazing love. I always knew you were special but you had to go and prove it. I miss you toooo, although whenever I stop to think I can hear your voice in my head.

suthern,
it's not so hard to do, it's mostly a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and hoping you are travelling in the right direction. Thank you for your ongoing support and for the friendship that spans the miles.

Toerag,
you're a sweetie too, although I know you like to keep that a secret. *Oops  have I just let the cat out of the bag. Now you will have to work extra hard at being outrageous to compensate.

be well.
Kethry

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
17 posted 2002-10-23 11:58 PM

This is very special writing, Keth, by an equally special lady. Your writing keeps getting better and better...
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
18 posted 2002-10-24 04:03 AM

Balladeer,
Thank you kind sir, that is a gentlemanly thing to say. One day it will compare with yours and then I can say I was mentored by the great and wonderful Balladeer.

Kethry

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
19 posted 2002-10-24 06:55 PM

Keth beloved heart up you go bumpity bump

Bev de bump came out today
I thought she had gone away
But she still comes out when I call
And so I said raise this one tall
A poem that is so superb
In every sentence every word
Let others read of this your victory
And let some other soul just see
That YOU beloved heart can Write
The words that will illume fears night
Too often a subject will be too stark
When it shows of pain and dark
But you, who write with humanity
You fill the sight of such as me
So Bev de bump just do the deed
And send it back to the top at speed

You know I love it utterly utterly utterly xxxx
Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

Breathe through the heat of our desire
Thy coolness and they balm
Let sense be dumb let flesh retire
Speak through the earthquake wind and fire

Krissy
since 2002-02-22
Posts 556
kent England
20 posted 2002-10-24 07:18 PM

Keth excellent writing it was very moving indeed. This poem is really one of your best yet You never fail to write well and this is outstanding. Beautiful work, exquisite writing, I have never had to handle anything like that so I would not know, but I can feel though too well,
Very well written

love and warm stuff
as always
Krissy

And while thy willing soul transpiers
at every pore with instant fires
Andrew Marvell 1621-1678

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » Don't Look

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary