navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » What Brothers are for... (w/Pics)
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Brothers are for... (w/Pics) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2002-10-17 05:07 PM

Robbie Age 3, 1955

What Brothers are for
By Larry Chadwick

I was only five years old,
And not really all that bold.
The Bible boy was to be me,
But I ignored their longing plea.

The steps were way too large,
It mattered not who was in charge.
A substitute would do the job,
It was to be my little brother Rob.

He was only three years old,
And he was far more bold.
My favorite Aunt was so dear,
But I let her down because of fear.

It was my first experience with grace,
No one made me lose face.
Pictured memories are so sweet,
If I had overs history would repeat.

Aunt Donna’s Wedding

Yes he has her flower basket!      

October 17, 2002

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (10-18-2002 11:12 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Secret Whisper
since 2001-01-25
Posts 298
Through the Looking Glass
1 posted 2002-10-17 06:34 PM

How sad. Although I have never had a brother, I do now this kind of timidity and the longing that results. Wonderful write, it was a very touching piece (loved the pictures as well!!).

"See, no one loves..." - Prayers for Rain

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2002-10-17 06:46 PM

Alice,
Thanks for reading my poem. The experience wasn't sad at all. Then or now. They handled it so well and allowed my reservations without recrimination. I'll always be grateful for that.

It took me another fourteen years to find courage. But the I got my shyness from my mother. And I overcame it with the strength of my father. My son's experience was identical to my own. It was thrilling to see him come into his own. Thank you so much.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
3 posted 2002-10-17 10:58 PM

Larry, this is so endearing. You have been amassing an abundance of poems about you and your family. I trust you are putting them into albums for posterity. This is a wonderful way to record your family history.

Linda

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
4 posted 2002-10-17 11:08 PM

Larry, this is so sweet. I love the pictures and the poem. You're not only a good Dad, but a good brother, too. I'll bet your bold little brother wanted to be in the wedding all along. Didn't he? I've a little brother, too, but I was the bold one of us. Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for sharing.
Love To All,
Ethel...garysgirl

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2002-10-18 12:00 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Larry, reading this too didn't make me sad, just got me feeling very sentimental as I understand that kind of anxiety and it takes time to develop courage as you are a loving friend and brother and I know he will always be grateful to have you in his life! (sigh) God Bless You, sweet friend, thank you for sharing another part of your golden heart to us all, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Larry, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

CSKpoet
since 2002-07-12
Posts 845
Island in Paradise
6 posted 2002-10-18 12:18 PM

Larry, Once again another tender poem and pics from your loving pen. Ya know the plan was not missed, just revised and
doncha know that you are plenty effective as a writer. You touch the heart.Thanks for being who you are and Rob for being who he is...
aloha and smiles, Cher

Poetry is:
Passion, imagination and intellect running together.

Aloha with warmest regards, Cheryl Stewart Koomoa

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2002-10-18 12:36 PM

Linda,
Well, they aren't with my geneology papers but they are in 3 ring binders. And I'm in the middle of creating a desktop publication. And there are quite a few more that you likely haven't seen. But they are fun for me and I'm glad you enjoy them. Thanks.

Ethel,
Aww. Aren't siblings grand! And thank you for sharing. It seems he did want to be in the wedding. And it looks like he was interested in being a flower girl. Well at least the flowers anyway.  

Noah,
You are so right, as usual. What are siblings for, eh? And thank you.  

Cher,
Well, those are really nice thoughts. Thank you your kindess. And thanks for the aloha.  

[This message has been edited by Larry C (10-18-2002 12:40 AM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2002-10-18 01:41 AM

"If I had overs history would repeat."

What a great line! And those were still scary steps at age 25!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2002-10-18 01:51 AM

Kacy,
LOL Leave it to you to point out the analogy. Those steps were bigger than I thought at 19. Silly me! I got those to events backwards. Thanks for the fun.

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
10 posted 2002-10-19 01:38 AM

yes!!!  He looks sooo adorable holding her basket....ya know this is what making memories are all about!!!  
Thank you so much for sharing yours.

I do so love getting to know you through your poetry.  Warm hugs and pleasant thoughts to Larry~   always~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2002-10-20 01:49 AM

Lori,
I'm sure glad you read this. And thank you for such nice thoughts. Your support and encouragement have meant so much. Bless you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » What Brothers are for... (w/Pics)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary