navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The homeless vet
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic The homeless vet Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
paladin
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.

0 posted 2002-11-09 01:37 PM

Grey hair tied up in the back
Walking with a slight limp
All he owns is in his pack
Just another old useless gimp

It was not always this way
Once he was tall,and brave
He had a family and job with pay
Lost them all as an alcolol slave

Life caught in a downward spin
Tortured by the dreams of the past
Seeing the faces of long dead men
Showing his card to cars passing fast

"I am a homeless vet,will you please care?"
People sometimes even give him some change
All he really wants is his fair share
He's only different and that makes him strange

Please help these poor lost souls.They once defended your right to be free.Some of them were broken in spirit.They deserve more than just being cast aside.

paladin

© Copyright 2002 Robert E. Jackson - All Rights Reserved
Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

1 posted 2002-11-09 01:44 PM

Paladin you have touched deeply about an issue that saddens me so terribly and outrages me at the same time.  Your words are very effective and your statement rings loud and clear.  Thank you, very much for this.
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
2 posted 2002-11-09 01:57 PM

Robert, thank you for speaking out on an issue that many don't, for some reason....possibly their own fears of rejection?!? Anyway, I thank you for your words in your poetry. I can tell that all of it is very close to your heart.
I'm proud, Sir, that you are from my home town (or what I call my "home town". I was actually born in Alabama, but lived in Pensacola most of my life.)
Again, thanks for your poem and for sharing your heart with us.

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2002-11-09 02:47 PM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Robert, this is sooooooo heartbreaking, sweet friend, though I never grew up during the Vietnam wa, I can understand the pain you and so many other veterans felt and the disrespect so many gave you coming back, and just let me say I for one am someone who thanks you and all your band of brothers for doing what you did for the good of us all and we all love you so much and you are all blessed by God! (wipes tears) My heart goes out to you, sweet friend, I send angel hugs out to you all and sympathize to you all and I wish everyone else could do the same, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Robert, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2002-11-09 02:47 PM

Paladin~
You touch a spot in the hearts of those who do show respect and assistance to the 'lost' Vets of Nam~
Hoping your thoughts will reach those who need to remember to 'be there for them ... as they were there for us'~

Thanking you for the compassion cause of your poetic penning~
Sincerely~
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
           noles1@totcon.com                       

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2002-11-09 03:47 PM

This brings back so many memories of those who fled across the border to Canada at that time, and how we felt about that war.  My heart and hand is always extended to any I see while in the States, and this poem made me remember a movie Tom Cruise did called, The Forth Of July, and tears are in my eyes.  Paladin it's people such as yourself that won't let these men have fought for naught or be forgotten.  I am not American but I sure am proud of them.  Thank you for this wonderful poem, and I sincerely hope you send them both to some association where they will know they are not forgotten.

In the 60's we did drugs to make the world weird. Now the world is weird; and there is Prozac to make it normal.

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (11-09-2002 03:53 PM).]

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
6 posted 2002-11-09 04:55 PM

Ths is so heart touchng. It has always saddened me that people who gave up so much for this country end up sometimes wih NO HELP from it. What's the deal, anyway?
Thanks for this.
Sandra

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2002-11-09 05:10 PM

You make a valid point, Paladin...to not be recognized for honoring the call of one's country....is despicable on behalf of those who turned their eyes away from our returning veterans.  Thank you for this.

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
8 posted 2002-11-09 05:22 PM

paladin
Well done point made.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
9 posted 2002-11-09 05:33 PM

I have many opinions on the subject...and will just thank you for bringing it to the attention of the passions readers at this time...although it is an on going problem.

As I have responded to your last, I am now seeing the results of the war personally and have been trying to save him from ending up as the gray haired veteran in your story.

M

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
10 posted 2002-11-09 05:53 PM

Well said my friend...extremely well said.
~Thank you and hugs~

~I've loved you forever, in lifetimes before.~

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
11 posted 2002-11-09 06:32 PM

Oh Robert, this just ripped at my heart. My Dad was retired Navy and flew reconnaissance during Korea and my uncle was retired Army and did 2 turns in Nam. They always told us to be good to the vets and take care of them if we could. If it had not been for any of those brave soldiers, we would not have what we have today. Freedom!

As much as I detest war, I am always in awe of the brave men and women who fight for us.  The streets of Boston, like any large city, are loaded with homeless vets from VietNam. Gosh, it just it's right.

Bless you for writing this.  Hugs, Marti

scorpio
Member Ascendant
since 2002-10-02
Posts 5178
right...there
12 posted 2002-11-10 09:00 PM

It's disgraceful for those brave men to be neglected. Their sense of duty and honour to their nation should be recognized and respected.  And our individual acts of kindness and concern do help...

...believe what your heart feels...

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
13 posted 2002-11-10 09:19 PM

Paladin, You said it best when you mentioned "broken in spirit" ...
how could we ever know the torment these soldiers went through then, and go through today..... How horribly pathetic, the way they are treated...

...it makes me sick, to my soul....

shame on us, for whether we like it or not, we are part of the neglect.....

All I can do is exactly as you ask...

Thank you so very, very much for this compassionate, important reminder of their plight.

Sincerely,
and with warm regards,
Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
14 posted 2002-11-11 08:29 AM

This is heartwrenching and magnificent... and a poem I so much wish was a product of imagination instead of reality.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2002-11-11 12:39 PM

REJ,
They too deserve dignity. They certainly have my respect. But their plite of neglect is painful to observe. There has to be a better way to treat those who sacrifice their innocence for our freedom. May there always be peace and may we find a better way to provide for our homeless vets. Thank you sir Robert.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
16 posted 2002-11-11 03:25 PM

From one Vietnam Vet to another, thanks for writing this. I don't like to discuss those years, in fact, until I lose my temper I won't....you've done well here Paladin....

[This message has been edited by Toerag (11-11-2002 05:19 PM).]

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
17 posted 2002-11-11 04:03 PM

a simply powerful poem. i go to Cal, and there are many around the city and campus. most of us students give them what spare change that we can, but there are so many who ask what can we do?

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Can you hear it? The Sea is calling.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
18 posted 2002-11-11 04:09 PM

It's hard watching someone turn their nose up at these men. It doesn't matter what the politics of the war were, these men fought for freedom, putting their lives on the line every day!! I read today that over one third of the Veterans in the U.S. today are from the Vietnam War. I think they deserve the utmost respect for what they went through during the war, and here when they returned.

Excellent poem paladin!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » The homeless vet

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary