navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » Elements of Training
Teen Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic Elements of Training Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BrokenAngel
since 2002-01-06
Posts 141
Puryear, TN, USA

0 posted 2003-09-08 01:45 PM

Yet another Parris Island edition, you can tell I loved my notebook while I was there.

Rain falls to the ground
Colecting in little pools
Mixed with salty sweat

Thunder rolls loudly
Echoing off the walls
Carrying the voices of DIs

Lightning streaks through the clouds
Lighting up the stormy skys
And the eyes of hardened recruits

Dew sparkles on the grass
Looking like small diamonds
And cooling hot, tired faces

Wind blows the trees
Swaying the hanging moss
And pushing a platoon farther

Is this Paradise?
Or hell on Earth?

Both

Read my work and read my thoughts
I'll go back into the night now
---Night Angel

© Copyright 2003 Hannah Rochelle Garner - All Rights Reserved
chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
1 posted 2003-09-08 06:02 PM

BrokenAngel:

This was a pretty good write; very simplistic yet descriptive. However, I feel that you could have gone beyond the basic description, basic as in the word usage. For example, the first line of the first stanza reads:

"Rain falls to the ground."

The word "falls" is a predictable, common verb to use with rain, and so the reader begins to lose interest in the rest of the poem. The point of the first line is to catch the reader's attention with something different, but sensible. So rather than using the word "falls", try:

Rain tumbles to the ground.

It gives a different effect and opens up more texture to the poem.

Another example is: "Wind blows the trees." Instead of "blows", you can try " Wind tilts the trees", "Wind bends the trees" or "Wind brushes past the trees". Play around with it, and don't be afraid to try something different.

The ending was all right, but the very last line made it weak. It might be better if you took out "both." That way, it opens up the ending for possibilities, and the reader can decide the fate. Not everything has to be concrete.

Keep up the good writing! I look forward to more!

-Leah
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2003-09-08 11:17 PM

Both... absolutely...
Great write.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Maddy vanD
since 2003-09-06
Posts 99
Newfoundland, Canada
3 posted 2003-09-09 08:31 AM

This is a really good write.
Chasing rain's advice is good as well, but I would also caution you that sometimes the simplistic approach is the best approach. I find that sometimes when trying for a clever turn of phrase one will actually detract from the message.
lol!! like everything else about poetry it is all a question of degrees...what works in one piece will destroy another, so by all means play around with your words, but don't become a slave to either the simplistic obvious words, nor to the clever ones, write from the heart.

Maddy
Poetry is not pretty....poetry is real

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » Elements of Training

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary