navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » I Love You Daddy
Open Poetry #22
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Love You Daddy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2002-08-21 07:47 PM

I Love You Daddy

I still bear scars from my childhood,
from all the beatings that you gave.
“Get me a beer, don’t shake the can
and then go crawl back in your cave.”

I’m now as old as you once were,
my childhood, painful memories.
I hid the bruises, never told
and tried so hard that I might please.

You see my back, those are your wounds?
My bones healed without being set.
I said I love you, watched you laugh,
then walked away with my cheeks wet.

I cried myself to sleep at night,
but silently, so you not hear,
that little child in hand-me-downs,
who lived each day in constant fear.

You hurt me, Daddy, hurt me bad
and as I write to you, I cry.
I know you’ve been dead many years
and all these years I’ve wondered why.

When my eyes swelled shut, you made fun.
I coughed up blood, but never said.
I worried all the time, it seems,
afraid the next time I’d be dead.

But I survived the physical,
though memories will never leave.
I love you Daddy, oh so much
and even now, I find I grieve.

© Copyright 2002 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2002-08-21 07:58 PM

Michael as much as this must have hurt for you to write...
I am sure unloading this burden will help in some small way
to deal with the emotional pain, and physical scars left behind.  
What a sad childhood...I am so sorry this happened to you.
All we want as a child is to be loved by our parents.  
Very heart-wrenching write m'friend.
One that is too often heard unfortunately.
~Heart-hugs, Nancy~

~ Time has cast a spell on you
  So you won't ever forget me ~

EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
2 posted 2002-08-21 08:00 PM

thats so sad...i see forgiveness welling up in your lines. frankly id find it quite hard to forgive.. somewhere in there.. a fierce love burns for you.. its a given.. oh! the folly of father and son. I know of this well. thank you for sharing.

Life is a lonely journey to, and a heavy-hearted departure from three words. I LOVE YOU

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2002-08-21 08:32 PM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Michael, this about broke my heart reading this, I'm so very sorry you had a rough childhood, I too was abused, only by boys my own age many days, and my heart too aches after suffering and watching time pass me by, yet you have grown into the wonderful loving friend I am blessed to know and I am grateful God could make such wonderful friends like you to me! (wipes tears) Please, if you ever need someone to talk to, you can always call-me, for I would love to talk to you, God Bless You, know you are loved by many always as our hearts all go out to you and your tears, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Michael, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
4 posted 2002-08-21 08:45 PM

Take heart dear, gentle, man in knowing what a kind and caring person you grew up to be. This is truly a heartfelt write that will touch more than just a few. hugs, Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

5 posted 2002-08-26 10:16 AM

Michael, dear friend this just can not be buried and needs brought back to the top for all to learn the lesson that even during such hard times of life we have a choice....to let it defeat us or to rise above it.  You dear friend, have definately rose above it and spread your love and kindness for others to see and you are an amazing example of strength and courage for us all.  God bless you and hold you in his tender mercies.  

If I have touched one heart through my words, then I have acheived my dream...

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
6 posted 2002-08-26 10:27 AM

Auguste
Sad, but very well done. Each person has a differant story and all will touch the heart.

WhiteRose
Member Elite
since 2002-07-23
Posts 3208
somebody's dungeon
7 posted 2002-08-26 11:04 AM

This broke my heart to read. It must have been incredibley hard to write but also therapeutic. I'm sorry for your pain. Sy is right, every life has a story, and each and every one can touch the heart.
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
8 posted 2002-08-26 11:26 AM

Everyone, thank you dearly for your heartfelt comments.  We can choose to live in the past, forever letting the pain of childhood defeat us, or we can learn and grow, not repeat those things which we were forced to suffer.  My childhood was difficult, very much so, but not so difficult that I couldn't grow out of the hand-me-downs.  Because of what I endured I became a better daddy to my own son.  He's fourteen and very much admires and loves me.  I consider myself greatly blessed.  Thank you!
Jason
since 2002-07-31
Posts 72
Macon, GA
9 posted 2002-08-26 11:32 AM

Auguste Friend

The raw emotion contained within the frame of structured rhyme seems almost ready to burst out and belies the title's, almost common, passive sound.
In other words, great job.
This caught me a little off guard and reminded me of a few things I'd as soon forget, but I enjoyed the poem thoroughly.

Thank You Sir,
Jason Daniels

Practiced in the Art of Perception...

[This message has been edited by Jason (08-26-2002 11:33 AM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2002-08-26 11:55 AM

For you, Michael, the scars have healed. I find these things you endured unforgivable. Yet I do understand that you feel the wounds you suffered somehow made you a better father. I think you would have been a wonderful father without all that needless suffering. But you are the epitome of forgiveness and gentleness, and your son will not have to endure what you did just to be able to become a gentleman.
Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
11 posted 2002-08-26 01:43 PM

Oh Michael... I had never realized...
To treat a child like this is barbaric...
I don't know if I could be as forgiving as you are.
You wrote your pain so well here.
~ hugs for bravery

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #22 » I Love You Daddy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary