navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » From Dust To Death (Asbestos - the silent killer that killed my father)
Open Poetry #20
Post A Reply Post New Topic From Dust To Death (Asbestos - the silent killer that killed my father) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia

0 posted 2002-04-17 11:24 PM

Asbestos began claiming victims
From as early as '65
If only they had heeded the warnings
Then so many would still be alive

They knew of all the dangers
Yet they allowed them to work away
Now all we are left with are our memories
And in a cemetery many victims now lay

Their killer attacked them in silence
As it slowly invaded their lungs
The first symptoms were not so alarming
But their long battle had only just begun

My Dad was one of the victims
For he was a carpenter by trade
So skilled in his chosen profession
Many beautiful things he had made

He was taken away so cruelly
Sadly I watched him facing death
Every day when I came to visit him
I'd wonder when he'd take his final breath

I lost such a very big part of me
On the day my father died
Now I am left with only my memories
And the love I hold deep inside

My daughter is now without a Grandpa
And I am without my dear Dad
So very often I fondly remember
All the treasured times we had

My father remains with me in spirit
And he is finally free from his pain
There are no winners in this terrible tragedy
And the compensation is such a pitiful gain

It hurt me to write this but I wrote
it on behalf of all the families who
have lost or are losing their loved
ones due to the effects of asbestos.
My father was diagnosed with mesothelioma
(cancer contracted through use of asbestos)
in January 1999 and was given 6-12 months
to live, he died on 30th May 1999.

We lodged a claim for compensation and
won two days before Dad passed away
but this did little to ease the pain
and suffering of losing him.Since then
more cases have come out of the woodwork
and we see it is barely the tip of the
iceberg.These men worked with asbestos
without being told of the dangers in
the risk to their health. Their families
are left to pick up the pieces and ask "Why?"

Suetang

© Copyright 2002 Sue Tancheff - All Rights Reserved
skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
1 posted 2002-04-17 11:29 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Sue. This is so sad to hear about. Thank you for opening up our eyes to something like this. Take care and God bless.

~sky

I'm in charge, and I say question authority!

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2002-04-17 11:35 PM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Sue, this is so very heartbreaking, my heart cries out to your loss for I know how hard it must be to lose someone so unexpectedly over something like this! (EXTRA BIG HUGS) There are indeed many people who lose their lives to woodworking and coal mining and things like that and my heart goes out to them and their families losses so very much! (sad sigh) My grandpa always loves to work with wood too, and I too have always feared for him because I love him so much and always have encouraged him to make a trip to the hospital every 1/2 year or so just so they can check on his health so my grandpa can continue to do what he loves to do with joy! (big hugggssssss) I know deep down your dad will always love you so much and guide you with his love, as I know so many others will always be touched by these words and they will find hope always in their hearts and strength to fight this invisible killer! (sigh) My thoughts and prayers are with you always, sweet friend, God Bless You, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Sue, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2002-04-18 05:13 AM

Yes having worked in the ship repair business for over twenty years I am aware of the dangers of asbestos...much has been done in the past ten to twenty years to remove asbestos products and yet the new products may be just as dangerous...
Sorry to read of the loss of your Father due to this product...take care...James

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2002-04-18 11:11 AM

Sue,
You know how I love that you keep the memory of your father alive. Grief of loss can only be compounded, I am sure, by its needlessness. You write so well and the public awareness besides is important. Very well done friend. Strength and courage to you and your family.

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
5 posted 2002-04-18 12:56 PM

Sue~

Much Peace to you.....

Lauren~

Step through the
barrier of my mind,
enter my soul,
feel my desire,
let my eyes guide you
into the shadows of my heart

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
6 posted 2002-04-18 03:40 PM

Sue,  your words are a sincere dedication to
all of those who have sacrificed their own
lives to make our lives better.  

I know your father would be extremely proud
of you for what you have written...

I certainly am!

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
7 posted 2002-04-18 04:23 PM

Sue:  Such a difficult thing to write about for you.  It's good that you did as it might alert someone, somewhere to the dangers asbestos represents.  One of our dearest friends also suffered this same fate. In the States now, I believe people are far more aware of this problem.

Betty Lou Hebert

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
8 posted 2002-04-18 07:35 PM

Suetang - your words touch me about this tragedy. Peace be with you, and may your father rest in peace...

BC

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2002-04-18 08:24 PM

Very sad, Sue. But you did a wonderful job of preserving your father's memory, and in sharing your loss, you may have opened the door for another to grieve a similar tragic  loss. Asbestos is a really nasty thing, one of many products we humans have produced which have proven more harmful than useful.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2002-04-18 08:59 PM

Sue I know the kind of strength it takes to write a poem like this but I also know the kind of love it takes to be the driving force behind that strength.  I do know of one person who I bet visits your garden often and smiles at the wonderful woman you have become.  How proud he must surely be of how your love for him has turned into a legacy for more than your family to share and I for one want to thank you so much for sharing your heart with me in this beautiful poem.

~* Sharon *~

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
11 posted 2002-04-19 09:29 AM

Losing a parent is devastating... how much more heartbreaking to know it could have been prevented... This is a wonderful testament to your father, Sue.
thepoeticplumber
since 2001-05-15
Posts 185

12 posted 2002-04-20 12:32 PM

Oh Sue, it must have been so hard to write this because of the love you hold in your heart for your Father.  Asbestos has been a terrible thing for so many families.  Being a plumber, I know many who have been exposed, including myself.  So far I am okay..  God Bless You Sue for such a moving write on such a hard subject.  Your friend always, Roger
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » From Dust To Death (Asbestos - the silent killer that killed my father)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary