navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » Drink water from my lips
Open Poetry #20
Post A Reply Post New Topic Drink water from my lips Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Raz
since 2002-04-30
Posts 51
Quebec, Canada

0 posted 2002-05-01 06:10 PM

Drink water from my lips

It tears
My senses. Sweet, when
     first I saw you,
All speech died…

-Catullus

So beautiful it’s not uncommon
that angels blind themselves
rather than fall.

I’ll forget the taste of your mouth
after a drag of my fag, that wine
tastes better on your lips.

Your scent will fade from my skin,
the smell of sleeping alone
cover the once stronger smell of us.

Your face is still dearest to me.

I look for you in strangers,
listen for your voice
in foreign mouths.

The thought of a new lover, any comfort,
is like returning to a bad habit;
the palimpsest addictions of youth.

I am left with creating you in words,
dulling your face with pen,
closing your eyes
with careless hand swept across the page.

I can’t sleep for dreaming of you.
Drink these words like water from my lips.

© Copyright 2002 Raz - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2002-05-01 06:22 PM

well everyone will be drinking your words in Raz and savoring them..I learned a new  word today..and I do believe you have many layers to you and your writings...

*s

M

Hallucination
since 2001-03-18
Posts 419

2 posted 2002-05-01 06:23 PM

Very emotional poem here, I really like the way you describe this whole theme...very nice
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

3 posted 2002-05-01 06:31 PM

That was explosively good.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2002-05-01 06:33 PM

Well Raz,
I know nothing of poetry from a technical sense. But I know I like your style. Fine job.

It's never too late to have a good childhood! Woohoo!

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
5 posted 2002-05-01 07:08 PM

Raz, your structure and vocabulary are great. I would have to read a dictionary before I would be game to "Nit-pick if a word / line bothers you"

Dee

Stand straight and tall, not the reflection as others see you, but as you truely are.        Clearwater

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2002-05-01 07:08 PM

Raz, interesting that you should quote Catullus, who is generally known for his rude and often crude poetry, filled with obscenities and tasteless wording, to lead into such a touching piece.

I enjoy the thoughts you present..looking for her in the faces of strangers, listening for her voice to come out of others mouths, dulling her face with your pen (for who could reproduce the beauty of the actual?).

Since you don't mind and even look for nit-picking, I have to say that I have a problem with:

Maybe it's just me due to the fact I'm more of a structured kinda guy, but that sentence, aside from being gramatically off, seems very awkward to me. The second half seems to have little to do with the first half yet it is part of the same sentence. If you are simply using poetic license there then my point in mute.

Once again, my grammatical beast raises it's often mistaken head but "smells" or "covers" would be acccurate but "smell cover" as the subject and verb fracture the rules in a very obvious way.

Needless to say I still enjoy the piece very much and your talent is obvious..

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
7 posted 2002-05-01 07:18 PM

Raz, you offer us a very unique style and way with words.
I look forward to more of your writing.
~Hugs~

~Somewhere in my heart I'm always
dancing with you in the summer rain~

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2002-05-01 07:40 PM

Please allow me to correct myself on Catullus...he was also known as possibly the greatest love poet of his time (when he wasn't being crude and vulgar ), adept at portraying the image of women he loved through his poetry. Therefore, I can see he would be an excellent choice...
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2002-05-01 08:06 PM

your style of writing really reminds me of someone I know.

Hmmmm..I wonder who? Anyway, this poem...is excellent. I agree with the term explosive - it's urgent and immediate

Love the quotation insertion...fits very well with your style of writing.

I really only have one problem with this:

'the palimpsest addictions of youth.'

While palimpsest is a nice word in and of itself..it's awkward here..I think it interferes with the rhythm...the flow.

Otherwise, this is great, and I'm putting it in my library.

Hope to see more from you.

K

~All my life I've been crazy
I may hold the answer a 1000 times through
it's my law~
A.M

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

10 posted 2002-05-01 08:13 PM

I noticed the same thing Michael did, these verses felt awkward because of the grammar.  I'm not a stickler for grammar or any other hold to form.  But here it seemed to distract from the thoughts.
Really like your style of writing.

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
11 posted 2002-05-01 08:16 PM

Very Stunning you fit well here...

Lauren~

~Sinking fast into
an ocean of you,
what if I told you,
what if I said
that I love you
do we dare cross
that line between your
heart and mine~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2002-05-01 09:30 PM

It seems to me by reading you I shall have the best of both worlds...your efforts, and the responses to read in light of same...truly, lessons at their best...

Enjoyed this very much!

Raz
since 2002-04-30
Posts 51
Quebec, Canada
13 posted 2002-05-01 10:27 PM

Balladeer.
Point taken on the grammatical stumbles. I suffer from the horrible affliction of lax grammar. I do play fast and loose at times for the sake of a line.

What in my mind connects the sentence is forgetting. I try avoid repetition whenever possible, and when I feel the sense is left intact. (Though what I think makes sense and what makes sense to the rest of the world do not always coincide.) I do see how the sense and construction  of that strophe may appear muddled (grammatically) if ‘that’ refers to ‘wine’. I was hoping to somehow transcend the laws of Grammar (much like the laws of gravity) and have ‘that’ refer back to ‘I’ll forget’. Dang.

Same for the next strophe, I suppose. To avoid repetition I cut the (what I felt) implicit ‘will’ before ‘cover’.

I’ll pay more attention to the grammar in the future. Your point still holds water, beyond questions of poetic license. all critical points would be moot if what the author said were the be-all and end-all of the discussion.

I wrote a paper on Catullus a ways back… read him cover to cover in at least three translations (will learn Latin some day, maybe). His invectives are fun… he is quite the potty-mouth at times. But his love poems and his longer poems are beautiful… he’s quite the character. I like the apparent contradictions one finds in his work.

Severn,
I've cut the palimpsest line, put it back, cut it… spliced it into different poems. I think I’ll have to bury it eventually.

M (layered like an onion), Hallucination, Squirrel (boom), Larry, Dee (when you get through the dictionary be sure to nit-pick… like chimps delousing each other… seems gross at first but is actually quite helpful), Enchantress, Duncan, Lauren (Merci de m’avoir invité, I do like it here), Sunshine,

thank you all for your kind, encouraging and helpful responses.

-Raz

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
14 posted 2002-05-01 10:47 PM

"I am left with creating you in words,
closing your eyes
with careless hand swept across the page."

The above my favorite stanza...yet, I see this gesture of closing, not careless, but tender.  The word careless bothered me.

Enjoyed reading this ...and welcome to Passions!

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
15 posted 2002-05-01 11:41 PM

I am left with creating you in words,
closing your eyes
with careless hand swept across the page.

I can’t sleep for dreaming of you.
Drink these words like water from my lips.

This touches me in places I cannot even begin to explain. Suffice it to say, I’ve been there. I won’t make any comments on the form or grammar. To me, poetry is just something that spills out, and I let the words fall where they may. I like where these ones fell. I haven’t been around here much lately, but I’d like to give a big welcome to the pip pages.

By the way, I wouldn’t have particularly noticed the use of “careless” in the last stanza, but I read it again after martie’s comment, and it made me think of it in another way. Made me think of how sometimes we carelessly lose the person we love and don’t realize it, til it’s too late.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » Drink water from my lips

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary