navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » ACTIVE X Controls
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic ACTIVE X Controls Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough

0 posted 2005-05-11 01:54 PM

I am in the process of designing a page for someone, and when I install a Javascript Calendar, and Javascript News Ticker on the site it wont let you see it until you allow it to run active x content.  
Now, I had Windows XP on my old PC and this never happened, but since I bought this Porsche type system with XP it seems to do that.  I guess my question is this:  

Is there a way around that, or should I leave it as is, and just always click 'run active x content' when the box comes up.  It is so frustrating, however I dont really want to disable anything that might cause me future troubles with this thing.

Thanks in advance.

Tima

© Copyright 2005 Tima Chavis Cooke - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2005-05-11 07:16 PM

My bet is that it has more to do with your version of Internet Explorer as opposed to your new computer itself. The most recent version of IE has some fairly nice pop-up and "Active Content" (including, yep, Active X) blockers.

Assuming this is the case, you can disable it on your own browser (I'll have to go home to see exactly how, I have an older version here at work), though I don't know if you can make it site-specific. Others' browsers, however, you have no control over.

It took me a little to get used to it and I almost disabled it several times, but over the long run, it's proven to be a good thing - I hate popups (it doesn't disable intentional pop-ups, by the way, just the automatic ones run by scripting) and I also hate the slow loading of any page someone felt they had to attach a 3-meg audio clip to.

I'll try to remember next time I log on at home how to disable it.

egowhores.com - really love yourself.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
2 posted 2005-05-11 07:43 PM

Thank you Christopher.  And, I do have my pop-up blocker on, I just didn't realize that it also blocked the Active X Controls, which I guess is a good security measure.

Thanks for the input!!

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2005-05-11 08:45 PM

Active-X is evil.

JavaScript was specifically designed with client security in mind. It can't, in any conceivable way, write to your hard disk, and any changes it can make to your settings must first be okayed to by the user.

No so with Active-X.

Any time you allow an Active-X control to run on your computer you have abdicated control of that computer to the programmer. Any time someone tells me they got a virus or spyware "just from visiting a web page," I know they have Active-X enabled. HTML, CSS, JavaScript -- nothing on a web page can permanently change your computer except Active-X.

It's evil, I tell you! Evil!

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
4 posted 2005-05-11 08:51 PM

So, should I NOT run these Javascripts on this site that I am making?

Cause that is the only time it does it, and the only time that I tell it that its ok...

Now, Im skeered....

I run spyware and virus checker every 12 hours, and so far nothing, but shoot I dont wanna take no chances...

Is there another alternative for these calendars and news tickers?

Thanks Tima

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
5 posted 2005-05-11 08:52 PM

Nefarious things can be done with Javascript.  My SO and I were both doing the same search on something, I forget what now, when AVG popped up with virus warnings, prompting us to attempt moving the critter to AVG's Vault.  I eventually tracked down the problems, which had saved to my Program Files\Java folder.  That was with Sun's JRE 1.5 using Firefox 1.2.  We've since gone to 1.3, and I've disable the advanced Javascript options.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2005-05-11 08:55 PM

My guess is that your active x control is set to 'prompt' -- you should be able to adjust this on any version of IE under Tools/Options then hit the 'Security Tab' -- click the 'Custom Level' button and then right on top are your Active X options -- prompt is the next best option to disable...

because it is EVIL like Ron said...

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
7 posted 2005-05-11 08:58 PM

But.... and excuse me here for being stoopid lol... but if I disable it, will I be able to run javascripts on these webpages?

Actually I have NEVER ran javascripts before, and this is only because personally I never really had the interest, but this person does.

Dazed and confused here

Tima

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2005-05-11 09:58 PM

Ali, you're confusing JavaScript and Java. Two entirely different programming languages. JavaScript can't give you a virus.

Tima, you run JavaScript every time you come into the forums. If you didn't, you'd have to type in your username and password each time you post. JavaScript isn't a problem. More, if you installed a calendar and news ticker that prompts you to run Active X, it is likely NOT JavaScript, or at least, not pure JS.

Whether you want to trust this particular programmer(s) -- because that's the real issue -- is entirely up to you. As a designer, you should caution the site's owner that a significant number of people coming to her page will NOT have Active-X enabled and with therefore not be able to see the objects embedded in the page. I can pretty much guarantee you, anyone coming to the page with Active-X disabled is highly unlikely to enable it just to see the page.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
9 posted 2005-05-12 12:22 PM

Thanks Ron.  I have talked to the client and convinced them that this is more trouble than it is worth.  It wasn't something that they absolutely had to have, however they seen it somewhere and it looked 'pretty' so they wanted it too.  I told them that I could put it in, but that most people with half a brain would see that little CAUTION thing and decide to either leave altogether, or just view the site without it.

I guess the thing that I was thrown off by is that I have never had to say "ok...let me see whatever you are blocking" before - until I got this new system, and all the tweaks of having a something that isnt totally outdated.

I appreciate all the help, and like I said, maybe this is resolved for now... unless ofcourse the client wants it to rain or snow on her page haha

Thanks again guys for all the input !!

I may hate myself in the morning - but I'm gonna love you tonight
-Lee Ann Womack

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
10 posted 2005-05-12 12:28 PM

Tima...

Have you uploaded your pages and been working with them online, or have you just been working with and viewing them on your hard drive?

As you know, I have a new computer, and I also do a lot of web design.  I have also used my share of simple javascripts, on various pages.  

What I have found is that, when I attempt to view one of these pages from my hard drive, it does prompt me to allow the Active X.  However, when the identical page, with the same scripts, is viewed online, ActiveX prompt is no longer an issue.  The simple scripts run with no interference at all.

For the record, I have made no adjustments to any of my security settings since purchasing the computer, so I'm assuming they are the same, or very similar, to your current settings.

Anyway... hope this helps.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
11 posted 2005-05-12 02:00 PM

Thanks Vicky I will look into that because...I was only reviewing them, they weren't actually uploaded onto the web.  Will try that in a bit and see how goes.

And?

Will let everyone here know as well in case this happens to someone else.

Thanks,
Tima

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » ACTIVE X Controls

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary