navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Irritating English errors....
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Irritating English errors.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....

0 posted 2003-06-10 08:52 AM

What are yours?

My biggest at the moment is when people write "your" when they mean "you're"...I know it's only an apostrophe and an e missing but they are completely different!!!!!!! Hehehehe sometimes it does irk me though *checks back into the local mental institute*

I'd love to hear what peeves you people on the English front?

Luv, Liz xxx

PS I know for many here, English isn't your first language...this is by no means a dig at you, just me being silly....

"Gorge the honey from life, and live through the stomach aches knowing they will pass..." ~Liz Pinard 2003~

© Copyright 2003 ESP - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-06-10 09:27 AM

English errors, grammatical errors, spelling errors can occur all the time, especially when posting directly to the site, as I'm doing now.  Of course, Ron provided dictionary.com up above [Yea! Ron!] so a lot of us have NO CHOICE not to fix an error, especially spelling errors...because he's put in a handy-dandy way of checking for ourselves.

I think a lot of it has to do with just being lazy.  Or trying to talk "in the lingo" of some of the writers today.  Which, I personally find, to be very sad.

To me, it shows a lack of professionalism.  Would I really want to come back years from now and find stuf posted jus b/c I cud do it?

Nope.

Any top-quality magazine or literary agent wouldn't look twice at some of the stuff we see now and then.  But I'll allow that there is a genuine mix of excitement, enthusiasm, some reasons to "hurry and post it!" before the thought dies...but still, I will always be appreciative if any of my work slips by with a spelling or grammatical error that just makes your hair turn gray, Liz, and will be grateful if you say "did you really mean to type in 'such and so' Sun, huh, did you?  Really???"

So feel free to call me on it when you see it...because I don't like finding it anymore than you do!

Hugs...

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
2 posted 2003-06-10 09:53 AM

*Enjoying a good laugh here*....I'll be sure to be especially nit-picking with ALL of YOUR posts, Sun!!!! rofl!
Thanks for replying
Luv, Liz xxx

"Gorge the honey from life, and live through the stomach aches knowing they will pass..." ~Liz Pinard 2003~

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-06-10 10:51 AM

quote:
So feel free to call me on it when you see it...because I don't like finding it anymore than you do!

Mmmm. Have you started nit-picking yet, Liz? When you do, you're planning on telling Karilea what's grammatically questionable with that sentence, right?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2003-06-10 11:52 AM

Ron, that's the ONLY one you found?  ROTFLMFO....

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2003-06-10 03:19 PM

ROTFLMAO>
i hat al them dum misstaks

morefiah
since 2003-03-26
Posts 150
Spanish Town, Jamaica
6 posted 2003-06-10 07:48 PM

misteaks?? What mestaiks?
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-06-10 08:23 PM

Alright I have alot of'm.... (totally improper)...
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2003-06-10 11:15 PM

THis is a po-try sight.

Whate're happent to po-tic lisense?

heh!

But the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title was your/you're

In the words of Churchill -- ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
9 posted 2003-06-11 12:54 PM

LOL everything drives me crazy, from grammar, to punctuation, to spelling. When I'm not in the right mood though, I let everything slide. BUT in English, my friend made me proof read all his essays cause he knew that I'd find at least one error that he and his other proof readers had missed. Whether or not that makes me picky, I don't know, but it's one of my quirks, and it's one that I cherish... Even my journal entries are pretty much free from any major errors (yes, I edit my journal entries).

lol I think I need a life .

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
10 posted 2003-06-11 05:42 PM

oh boy, then all of you keep away from my posts!

I am the result of a typical dysfuctional family

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
11 posted 2003-06-11 06:31 PM

Don't U hate when people write like this?
I hate 2 C people who do this 2. Will someone please tell them 2 stop B4 I go mad, track everyone down, and beat them over the head with a Spelling book?

That is totally irritating. When people message me on Yahoo, AIM, or MSN to tell me they noticed in my profile that I like poetry they sometimes chat like this. I promptly put them on my ignore list or I tell them if they wish to hold an intelligent conversation they should use actual words. Is that mean? I don't think it is too much to ask someone to chat with me as if we're adults with decent vocabularies.

I have also read poetry and prose where people write like this. The first one I see, I stop reading immediately. Harsh?

People are going to make grammatical errors, but to do it on purpose is just totally annoying.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2003-06-11 06:41 PM

allathisizdrivnmenuts
especialy CUZ i jes don wanna havta think
or spelit out rite

such airagance!

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

13 posted 2003-06-15 10:54 PM

Well.. I don't like when people make stupid mistakes, and are just too lazy to fix them.

Lik e if someonne saiip somehinig like thisd

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Chanson
since 2000-08-19
Posts 1559
Up Creek w/Out Paddle
14 posted 2003-06-16 06:42 AM

One petpeeve is the use of "could of" as in "I could of eaten a horse".

It's HAVE-- I could HAVE eaten a horse.

Ok, I'm hungry now.

And "ty" for thank you and "cu" for goodbye and "prolly" for probably when I am IM'ing. If I am not worth the few keystrokes it takes to type the words completely than why bother typing in the first place? Or when I can't tell the difference between a statement and a question because they neglect punctuation marks.

I can understand making typos because I make more than I would like. It's usually because of sloppy finger placement and not a reflection on our grammar/punctuation skills.

And that brings up another pet peeve: The absense of properly capped words. No doubt ee cummings has a huge fan base but I am not one of them.

And one more: The excessive use of emoticons and smilies. I bet there are some people who can't sleep at night if they forget to add that tenth smilie to their last message! *L

To each his own though, eh?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
15 posted 2003-06-16 09:48 AM

Their's never a doubt that there grammatical usage is they're nemesis...
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
16 posted 2003-06-18 12:32 PM

LOL at your reply Nan
....theirs, there's, its, it's.....
My third grade teacher would be pulling here hares outta her hed ifen she'da red summa these poetreys and replys. LOL.
But, are we getting so serious and formal that we cannot tolerate reading poetry and prose which is clearly written to imitate speech?
Would you ban the write that oozes of street talk? And what about about satire? Don't we want real-world colorful colloquialisms to bleed through to our senses?
Are we sometimes acting like college graduate snobs, not wanting to share space with 'uneducated' or 'improperly trained' writers? I hope not.
OK, I'm done ranting.
But I do get annoyed with sloppiness, and being asked to plow through a boring poorly written poem.  

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
17 posted 2003-06-18 07:17 AM

Me and English teachers still think what proper grammar usage is most important...

I'm having such fun obliterating my syntax in this thread...

Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
18 posted 2003-06-18 11:47 AM

Mine are when people use "then and "than" interchangably.
Then pertains to a point in time.
Than is a choice decision.

I have relatives that do this and I am constantly going over their stuff.

Sherry  

Bonfirelight
since 2003-06-19
Posts 85
London, England
19 posted 2003-06-23 06:30 AM

Would "2B or not 2B" have been any lesser a question?
After all a rose by any other name..

Just think, maybe in years to come this shorthand will become the written English language (Noooo!) after all it is more compatible with computers and the internet in general..and English is a constantly evolving language..

Think i'll start only writing in dead languages :lol:

Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
20 posted 2003-06-23 11:29 AM

Cogito itaque ego sum...... very alive language for me N'est pa?....LOL

How do you "murder" a "dead Language"... we're all having too much fun here with English.  

sherry

Bonfirelight
since 2003-06-19
Posts 85
London, England
21 posted 2003-06-23 11:41 AM

iway inkthay ereforethay iway amway

would be my best guess. :p

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

22 posted 2003-06-23 11:47 AM

"Think i'll start only writing in dead languages"

aaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh !!!

Kraw'

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
23 posted 2003-06-23 07:07 PM

HEY YA'LL, It's called conscious "FINGER-TRIPPING"

I get picked on way too much for the way that I speak.  I was born southern, and sometimes I forget that I can't always talk the way my mama and daddy raised me...haha

I finger-trip all the time.  Now, I will be a nervous wreck each time I post.....haha

Love Ya'll

Tima C.

Please visit my website:  www.southerncountrywebdesign.com/~heart/

And support the fight against Child Abuse, Domestic and Verbal Abuse.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

24 posted 2003-06-25 02:57 PM

potato pototo, lets call the whole thing off.

I said I'm going to buy a gun and start a war,
If you can tell me something worth fighting for
-coldplay

Alnilam
since 2003-07-04
Posts 75

25 posted 2003-07-13 12:18 PM

ok so not to sound rude, because that is surely not my intention, especially coming into this conversation late but the first thing that came to my mind is my mom telling me "don't sweat the small stuff"...it usually makes me a little mad when she tells me that and I am venting something, but there is nothing any of us can do about some of these people's issues with typing correctly, or not being lazy about their typing. I, too, have many issues with people typing or writting in this way, but can also find myself guilty of these mistakes in my off times as well. Good luck with dealing with all these wonderful pet-peeves.

~*Alnilam*~
"The worst tragedy for a poet is to be admired through being misunderstood."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Irritating English errors....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary