navwin » Discussion » The Alley » some thing to say from the new chik
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic some thing to say from the new chik Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
raleighbttrfly
since 2000-11-21
Posts 160
Raleigh NC

0 posted 2000-12-03 02:56 PM

hi I am still vary new hear but i have something to say. With my firest post many people wellcomed me and complimeted me. How ever no one gave me any real feed back. I have posted a few pomes sinec they did not seam to vary big hits as the recived only a few comets. Befor my firest post i had not writen anything in a few years and I am agien loseing confidenc. Is it all realy that bad, if so tell me. Well atleast tell me what I am doing wrong dont jest ignore me. Is this realy a place for poets to come and share or jest a place were people form cliks and shut others out.

© Copyright 2000 Amberlyn - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-12-03 03:11 PM

It is a place to share. We try to make everyone feel welcome on their first post and encourage new members to read and reply. As your name gets known, you'll gain more readers. One thing I can tell you, since you asked for some advice, you may want to post in Critical Analysis for constructive critism and you may want to watch for spelling errors a bit more. Glad to see you made your way down here, most newbies never visit the discussion forums!    
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
2 posted 2000-12-03 03:13 PM

First of all, Raleighbttrfly, welcome!  

It takes a while for people to get to know others, both on and offline. You can get to know someone just by reading and replying to their work, and they in turn will read and reply to yours. Also, Open is a very fast-pced forum, so it's easy for poems to slip by. It happens to both new members and those who have been here forever. But as time goes by and people get to know you, you'll receive more feedback on your work.

Hope to see more from you soon!

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2000-12-03 03:15 PM

Hi raleighbttrfly! I'd like to welcome you to Passions!!

If you are looking for a critique on your work, I would suggest posting it in the CA Forum. We've had many threads about people critiquing work that is outside of that forum, and no one felt too comfortable with that when it happened on their work. Of course if you'd like it critiqued and post in Open, you can always note that in your title. Just put your title and (critique welcome).  

Open has become a very fast paced forum, in which a lot of poetry sinks way too fast.
We do our best to not let that happen, but some do slip by. I would encourage you to reply to many other poets as well. You'll find when you get out there and others get to know you better, they will start looking for your poetry. Please don't give up, just give others a chance to know you and your work.

There is also the Pub forum which is a more relaxed atmosphere and not as fast paced as our Open forum, if you'd care to post in there.

So don't be discourage quite so quickly, but keep your chin up, read and reply to others as well. I know a lot of new people go through what you're going through. I was one of them once too.

If you need anything at all, or even care to talk, feel free to email me or contact me by icq.        

Keep writin' and postin'!!  

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
4 posted 2000-12-03 03:36 PM

I understand your frustration raleighbttrfly, but I need to
point out one fact to you that might help you understand why.
So many poems are posted here, especially in open that it
is very hard to keep up with every poet.
Hundreds of posts made on a daily basis, either originating post or posting replies.
Unless one is one line 24/7 reading every post as it comes in....
it's hard to keep up with everyone.

I for one am not here to shut anyone out or join my own click,
I personally do not have the time to spend hours on
my computer as I have a family and a three and a half year old son to take care of.

I'm sorry I've missed you posts.

< !signature-->

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

[This message has been edited by Irie (edited 12-03-2000).]

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
5 posted 2000-12-04 01:44 PM

I agree that CA is the place to go if you want comments on how to improve your poem.  I don't go there to often, unless I am really stuck and need helpful advice.  
I like the pub better than open because it's smaller and you can get a better feel for the poets there.  Open is very large and moves to fast for me!  I do post there sometimes and read alot of the poetry there though.
Welcome to Passions and read, read, read, the poetry! You'll find out alot about the poets here that way!

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
6 posted 2000-12-04 02:10 PM

hey Raliegh we talked in Email and i got to know you some. I shamefully know that I have missed some of your posts but then again i have missed alot of the most well known poets such as Poet Devine. Open is fast fast fast I like it and don't get outta there much but the best alternative is what White Dove said and that is the Corner Pub. Go for it!! (I understand what you mean about the cliques)
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
7 posted 2000-12-04 02:18 PM

ROFL@the new chik....  

I love the way you've laced your poct with so many speeling eros to bate us into cementing or not cementing on them...

Yore a klassic kid...!  

raleighbttrfly
since 2000-11-21
Posts 160
Raleigh NC
8 posted 2000-12-04 11:50 PM

I want to thank all of you that have responded to this post and my others. I was doing a little venting here. I have taken all of the advice in to consideration. I think the corner pub is more my speed and have posted my last piece there. To tell the truth I’m a little scared of CA I don’t want to get ripped apart. About the spelling, I am the only person I know that was in both advance and remedial language classes in school. I may not be a grate poet or righter but I always loved to read and from a young age had a good handle on comprehension and vocabulary. However for some reason even the experts that put me threw so many test can not explain I can not learn to spell. Fore years in “special” classes fruited only minimal improvement. I take my time on the pomes I post use spell check and have an extra person do go behind me to catch what I miss. I may not be great but I love to right, spelling is vary frustrating for me. To the point that I had stopped writhing for a long time. I do may best but spell check takes time and I don’t always go threw al of that. This had 15 errors in it when I first wrote it I hope I caught most of them.
Kevin Rose
since 2000-11-20
Posts 64
Liverpool UK
9 posted 2000-12-05 09:28 AM

sounds like a classic case of dyslexia to me, especially considering the phonetic method of spelling you use.

oh, and I am dyslexic myself so I kinda know the symptoms.  Thing is, it doesnt make a bit of difference to the creativity... just sometimes helps if you know what you are dealing with.

Kevin

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2000-12-05 10:13 AM

Some famous dyslexics....

Cher,  actress/singer
Winston Churchill,  politician
Tom Cruise,  actor
Harvey  Cushing, brain surgeon
Leonardo Da Vinci,  painter and inventor
Duncan Goodhew, swimmer
Whoopi Goldberg, actress
Susan Hampshire, actress
Michael Heseltine, politician
Auguste Rodin, sculptor
Richard Rogers, architect
Jackie Stewart, racing driver
James Whale, radio presenter

Welcome to Passions!

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

raleighbttrfly
since 2000-11-21
Posts 160
Raleigh NC
11 posted 2000-12-05 11:12 AM

Kevin and Sunshine thank you for the encourgement. I whish it were Dyslexia, but its not i have been tested for that. My problem is more isolated. More like an input output problem. The input gose in fine but the out put is where i have the truble. Thancks agine for the support.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
12 posted 2000-12-05 11:16 AM

Well oops my bad!     I thought you were kidding around... but under the circumstances I think you should be congratulated for doing as well as you do because we can all read what you say.

Any of us are succeptible to similar problems since different areas of the brain control the processing of specific types of information.  Any of us can incurr brain damage from any number of possible causes.

I've known many people who after strokes were never able to read or write again or in some instances just weren't able to process arithmatic information.

Of course the biggest brain problem with me is it won't fit in my head with my foot in there!  

Anyhow -- I'm still betting you're a classic ... have fun at Passions  

Hate is a dead thing. Who of you would be a tomb? -Kahlil Gibran

raleighbttrfly
since 2000-11-21
Posts 160
Raleigh NC
13 posted 2000-12-05 11:22 AM

Thank you Rebel that means alot to me.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
14 posted 2000-12-05 11:26 AM

btw-- I write all my poetry in word with auto-spell check on then cut and paste it into the reply form...  you could do the same -- you just have to make sure that word's interpretation of your spelling is what you really wanted to say...  
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
15 posted 2000-12-05 11:53 AM

hi there,

dont fret there..i have just replied to some of your poems in open#11..watch out for them okay...

one, it is a good idea to reply to some poems before you post so that your writer voice is heard and people will respond to your posts

two, rest assured that i will comment on your work once i chance upon them...

Kevin Rose
since 2000-11-20
Posts 64
Liverpool UK
16 posted 2000-12-05 02:11 PM

Hmmm I am not convinced when you say it is not dyslexia, as dyslexia manifests itself in many different ways.

I have the opposite problem to you, and really only have problems with the input and not the output.  My spelling is pretty much perfect.  By the standard defenition therefore i would not stand out as a dyslexic.  I am sure that most people do not believe me.  My tutors and lecturers certainly didnt in school and university.

If you have only had a single test for dyslexia, and that ruled it out, go get a second opinion.  I certainly know of no other condition that causes a problem with written output without affecting either intelligence or comprehension. I have however seen many forms of dyslexia where the actual "symptoms" are different, but the condition is the same.

The other thing that indicates to me you are dyslexic is that you seem to have a unique take on life, and I can bet you look at things from a different angle that the normal.  This seems to be a trait amongst dyslexics, and I believe is something to do with learning the basics of how to read and write differently, which allows you to apporoach any other situation differently as well.

hope this helps a little.

kevin

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » some thing to say from the new chik

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary