navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Famous Quotes
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Famous Quotes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
Where no tyranny is tolerable

0 posted 2008-08-27 05:19 PM

Famous quotes
Folks are jammed up ...
Michelle Obama

Friendship is for Life, if not Forever.

© Copyright 2008 The Sun - All Rights Reserved
JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

1 posted 2008-08-27 05:38 PM

I don't get this at all. Would you kindly enlighten me. Thanks.
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2008-08-28 03:37 AM

If there is some content you'd like to offer for a response, Mr. Fradera, there's no reason not to have a polite discussion.  At least that's how I think I understand your posting.  Your poems have a very warm and generous aspect to them, and there's no reason not to respect that about you.

Yours, Bob K.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2008-08-28 06:46 PM

I have no idea what this means either, but I thought I'd offer up my own unfortunate verbiage.

I was chatting with PDV one night, discussing my choice of a wedding date. (Aug. 1)

She asked me why that particular date.

"Nuthin' ever happens in August," said I.

So I proceeded to get married in August, and the entire region has been suffering ever since.

And if that doesn't make sense, I didn't think that was a requirement.

Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
Where no tyranny is tolerable
4 posted 2008-08-29 07:13 PM

Thank you, Karen and Bob, for bringing this to my ATTN.
I misquoted Michelle Obama.
The correct quot is "folks are just jammed up."
jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2008/03/michelle-obama-america-just-downright.html
It is meant satirically, as it depicts America as a land of victimized, poverty-striken helpless tramps who just can't take it anymore.
Read this article and you will see why.

JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

5 posted 2008-08-29 07:30 PM

Nice to meet another Michelle Obama admirer, Jaime.
Here's the link to her Convention speech, thought you might enjoy it. It's very inspiring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca97xiDYFD8

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2008-08-29 08:04 PM

Somehow I don't think he was referring to himself as an admirer, Jennifer
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2008-08-29 08:48 PM

Dear Mr.  Fradera,

I wasn't trying to bring a misquote to your attention because I didn't know you had in fact misquoted Ms. Obama.  I was trying to find a way to talk with you that tapped into the civility and kindness that I've seen in your poems and in your back and forth with Alison, who is a lovely woman with a very warm and gracious personality.  The two of you seem to draw out a lot of good from each other, and I was impressed.  I still am.

I don't know that being jammed up and in trouble, which seems to be what Ms. Obama was talking about, being a land of victimized, poverty-striken helpless tramps who just can't take it anymore, are necessarily the same thing.  I don't know anybody who hasn't been jammed up one way or another of the course of a life-time due to circumstance.  I know a lot of people who have been or still are poverty stricken, and even some folks who have reached the end of their ability to bounce back.  I don't know if they can't take it any more, and I have no way of judging how you can tell objectively if somebody is a victim.  We probably have some area there where you have a sense of utter certainty and I am unclear.  I've also known some fairly decent tramps.

Yet I'm unclear why you seem so angry at folks who have the sense of having been crushed by their own hard times, and at politicians who think it's important to help them.  I can understand why you might think that the Obama fiscal policy might be unwise.  I would disagree with you and want to talk about it, but I'd actually want to hear a case and talk about my own, as best I could put a voice to it.

I don't know that I've actually heard you do so, though.

This material, I have heard you voice before, I believe; that Mr. Obama or other liberal politicians support people in their feelings of being victims.  I am puzzled as to what is wrong about this for you.  For myself, I think it's got plusses and minuses as a way of doing business as a government, and that most of the times the plusses outweigh the minuses.  If you want to talk about the specifics, let's try that if we can do so without getting cruel; I think we'd both probably learn something.

I suggest this may be a chance for us both to get less jammed up.  

Sincerely, BobK.

JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

8 posted 2008-08-29 08:58 PM

Waves Hi to Balladeer.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Famous Quotes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary