navwin » Discussion » The Alley » What is wrong with today's world?!?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic What is wrong with today's world?!? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines

0 posted 2008-02-04 07:07 AM

Why aren't children and adults  learning social skills to handle life's "normal" ups and downs?
Headline:
Teen arrested in death of family members
15-year-old in Balto. Co. charged with first degree murder
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_county/bal-bodies0203,0,6317131.story

Between reading about or hearing the news of the possibility of a parent throwing their child off a bridge or  another  stomping  his infant son to death on the side of a road and the above story... I am trying to understand what is wrong with today's society...

"Love is not blind - It sees more and not less, but because it sees more, it is willing to see less."
(Will Moss)

© Copyright 2008 Wynter Bliss - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2008-02-04 10:55 AM

Maureen~
I wish I had an answer ... unfortunately, I just don't~
These types of stories just turn my stomach~
I don't understand any of it ... I know it's broken,
but damned if I can figure out how to even begin to fix it~

The increased frequency of these horrible happenings is alarming~

I can only hope to make some small difference in my realm of this world ... I don't know what else can be done ... I just don't know~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -         noles1@totcon.com     

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2008-02-04 04:48 PM

Marge, not knowing ahead of time, this morning I ended up subbing in one of the schools where the  children had gone ...with a crisis  team there and teachers and children upset over the news which will only become more heightened as the story breaks.

There is just no reasoning~~~

M

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2008-02-04 06:56 PM

The answer to your question is, unfortunately, all too easy to answer... Life is often plagued by operator error. The operator (people) screw up the machine (their lives), and it has a rippling effect that extends out to the others in the vacinity.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2008-02-05 07:48 PM

And what yesterday world
was better?

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2008-02-06 04:18 AM

We have just stubbed our brains on what the Philosophers call The Problem of Evil.

Usually when regular folks run across it in everyday life, what we do is we sit down over a cup of coffee and try to get rid of the question by finding somebody to blame ("Kids these days," or "Women Used To," or "Before The Irish," or name your own scapegoat); or by comparing the merits of various horror stories, what Eric Berne used to call playing "Ain't it awful!"

The actual presence of terrible things and people in the world leave me openmouthed.  As much as I like to think of myself as a toughminded guy, the actual presence of somebody who is creepily evil is rare and utterly disquieting, and always leaves me shaken very badly.  Sometimes literally shaking with physical fear, though I try not to keep me from functioning.

Anyway, I thought I'd just try to toss a little something out as a conversation starter and see if people wanted to go any place with it or not.  I don't know where we can actually go, but simply having the conversation seems interesting.  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
6 posted 2008-02-06 05:07 PM

Unhealthy manners and lifestyles.  

In one word "evil"  

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
7 posted 2008-02-06 05:48 PM

"What's wrong with the world?

... Dears sirs:  I am.

Yours sincerely,

G.K. Chesterton."

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

8 posted 2008-02-13 03:07 AM

Chesterton is on the money again.  You've got to wonder what he made of people who were a bit more enthusiastic about the evil they discovered within themselves, though.

Chesterton understood about the duplicity in distinguishing ones' self from publicans and sinners and in being squeamish about one's moral position in the world.  He was a man of moral substance and sophistication.  While I think he saw the possibility of evil in himself, I also think he didn't confuse himself with those who love evil for its own sake, and pursue it for the pleasure it may bring.

One of the pleasures of Chesterton is the pleasure of watching a brilliant man who loves taking a rhetorical position do so with dash, daring and relish, and defending it until the last of its phantom defenders elegantly expires
on the ramparts.  What a guy!  

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

9 posted 2008-02-13 03:08 AM

Chesterton is on the money again.  You've got to wonder what he made of people who were a bit more enthusiastic about the evil they discovered within themselves, though.

Chesterton understood about the duplicity in distinguishing ones' self from publicans and sinners and in being squeamish about one's moral position in the world.  He was a man of moral substance and sophistication.  While I think he saw the possibility of evil in himself, I also think he didn't confuse himself with those who love evil for its own sake, and pursue it for the pleasure it may bring.

One of the pleasures of Chesterton is the pleasure of watching a brilliant man who loves taking a rhetorical position do so with dash, daring and relish, and defending it until the last of its phantom defenders elegantly expires

matronmedusa
since 2008-03-08
Posts 89
Alabama, USA
10 posted 2008-03-12 09:48 AM

Corruption, confusion, and finally, desperation.

Conditioned violence on feeble minds has a devestating effect.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
11 posted 2008-03-13 11:23 PM

quote:

Bob,

Yep, I'm definitely in his fan club too.  An underrated genius if there ever was one.  And so fun to read, my my.

Stephen

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
12 posted 2008-04-07 12:19 PM

quote:
I am trying to understand what is wrong with today's society...

The problem is that the world is run by humans and humans have a knack for disgracing anything pure.

"We have bigger houses but smaller families:
We have more degrees but less sense;
more knowledge but less judgements;
more experts but more problems;
more medicines, but less healthiness.
We've been all the way to the moon and back,
but we have trouble crossing the street
to meet the new neighbour.
We build more computers
to hold more information,
to produce more copies than ever,
but we have less communication.
We have become long on quantity
but short on quality.
These are times of fast foods,
but slow digestion;
tall man, but short character;
steep profits, but shallow relationships.
It is time when there is much in the window
but nothing in the room."

- Dalai Lama

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert E.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
13 posted 2008-04-07 01:58 PM

Have a listen to Bob Seeger - as he sums it up well I have always thought. Little Boxes

Maureen, I could not open your link but I am sure it is the same as every other gruesome story I have heard on some poor teenager just at the end of their emotional rope.  I may get a little carried away here, but this is surely a sore spot with me.

Maureen, I look around somewhat shocked these days, and never figured I would turn into my mother, questioning this generation of our youth, but I did sadly enough.  I would bet my son will also do this soon, as will his kids, and their kids.         The common denominator I noticed over the years is the missing discipline.  

I personally don't have or want a cell phone.  I text no one, and will hand-write letters.  Geez, all that talking and texting around me drives me nuts!  Where are the real communication skills going between human beings with all these communication devices, including computers?  There seems to be too much of everything given to youth today, with no rules or boundaries attached to it.  So, peer pressure, ideals, a need to fit in are still the motivators, imagine that? It seems that no one lives outside the box anymore, and says, "no!" to kids, or maybe they are afraid to, who knows?

It scares me, as does the look on the majority of kids faces these days, as I don't see "happy" living there.  I am not saying all our youth are the same, that would be ridiculous, but the media, magazines, and the kids with "means" sure are in control of driving emotions these days from what my own experience shows me.  You would know that better than I being a teacher, but I dealt with the emotional damage to teens when I worked in that capacity, and it was ugly let me tell you.  Time is still the missing piece of the puzzle, and it looks like it will get even worse with more needs and wants by the human race.

I never met one young person in all that time that didn't respect their parents more for caring enough to take the time and follow through with discipline, and spend time with them.  It worked then and it would work now.  How on earth can anyone respect themselves, if they don't get a chance to build integrity and self-esteem by earning things for themselves?  You ask a good question, and like Marge, I know it's broken but I don't know how to fix it either, just like my Mother also said to me a long, long time ago.      

~* I'd rather be happy any day than be right *~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

14 posted 2008-04-07 04:33 PM

*sorry*

I'll spare you the bad jokes, Mo.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much comfort to ya.

*hugs*

[This message has been edited by serenity blaze (04-07-2008 05:43 PM).]

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
15 posted 2008-04-07 05:04 PM

Sharon, I assume the newspaper link no longer allows it for  free ... but a 15 almost 16 yr old shot and killed his 13 yr old brother, Mother and Father while they were sleeping. He was spending the night with friends  but came back home at one point supposedly to get something he wanted for the next day and then  killed them all and went back to the party. The next day he had friends drive him home again where he pretended to find them.  

But he had text messaged something at the time this happened and  also washed and cleaned himself up leaving no prints or  clues which actually was a clue to the police.

It turned out that he was more of a bully than his parents knew but thought from what other kids said that if he killed them he would inherit all the family wealth.

His dad was a well known lawyer and he used his own father's gun. Anyway since he was only a week away from being 16 they charged him as an adult.  I can't remember if he was already found guilty and sentenced to life or was just indicted, but hasn't been to trial yet. With no family left in the state, an uncle from the midwest came to bail him out and get him a top lawyer to defend him.

It's as someone on tv said about another murder where a father in the Baltimore area last week killed all 3 of his very young children in a hotel (when taking them for a weekend) to get even with his wife over  child support and custody during a divorce, even though she asked a judge for a protective order from him and didn't get it.

This person said what can we expect since so much on tv, internet, cable, movies and  games are all so graphic and about killing.  After awhile people can become immune to the repercussions. It is disheartening to see how children especially do not see the harm in bullying and fighting today and especially with more than just words.

M

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2008-04-07 06:40 PM

I am so sorry not only for that family but also the boy.  He has to deal with this the rest of his life and he will.  Maureen, I am sorry you are exposed so directly to this type of thing, it's sad.  You might find some interest in this forum I came upon the other day in the forums of Ebay.  In Canada, our gun laws are strict, and I would die fighting to keep it that way if I had to.  When I read these types of horrific acts by children and young adults, it not only astounds me but scares me to be honest. I also agree that the internet, video games have a lot to do with violent behaviour, and also the acute lack of policing.  As for bullying - it is right up there now in the top causes of suicide in our youth, terrible isn't it?
No Conscience? Recent Crimes In My Area Philadelphia

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

17 posted 2008-04-07 07:37 PM

None of this stuff is birthday party happy stuff.  All of it is upsetting and sad.  None of it is peculiar to today's world.  It would be nice if that were true, and I think we have a wish that there was some TIME when everything was just simply okay with everybody and when everyone was treated everybody well.

If you scrape off the frosting from the accounts of old folk and nostalgic folk and look at the contemporary accounts, though, it doesn't seem to be so.  If you look at the templates of human behavior, the old stories from the myths, Greek, Roman, American Indian, Chinese, African, pretty much any of them,  you get the same pretty dismal cast of characters doing the same pretty wretched things that can be found in the newspaper reports we're talking about today.  Sometimes the old metaphorical machinery is a little more clumsy and obvious.  

Here's nakedthoughts, for example:
quote:

It's as someone on tv said about another murder where a father in the Baltimore area last week killed all 3 of his very young children in a hotel (when taking them for a weekend) to get even with his wife over  child support and custody during a divorce, even though she asked a judge for a protective order from him and didn't get it.

The difference between this story and that of Jason and Medea is that in the case of Jason and Medea  it was the woman who did the killing.  Statistics tell us this is frequently the case when the kids are under the age of five.  There was no actual judge to issue an order of protection:  Today's laws might actually have had a chance of being more helpful, however slightly.

Friends, Romans, Country-persons (and world fellows, all), the basic situations have not changed.

Perhaps the easy availability of not guns so much, I'm tempted to think, but the weapons of war including easily acquired biological and chemical weapons, explosives, automatic weapons clearly not for hunting, etc. haven't done us any particular good.  We're pretty territorial not simply about land but about people and relationships that we—as people— think of as ours.  She's my gal.  He's my man.  That's my kid.  He, she, those other people can't have/be with/affect that property of mine.

I don't see that this stuff has changed much in the last 10,000 years, though we do flatter ourselves about our ability to reason.  Maybe we can reason our way out of our jam a little bit; but only if we can actually be honest enough to say that we're in one due to our own contradictory natures and not try to blame our own oddness on video games, or sun spots or martians or teen violence, gangs, drugs or whatever.  

The grandpappy of all greek myths, or one of the oldest at any rate, is about the father that ate all his children.  We made the story a morality play somewhere along the line by calling that Father, Cronos—Time.  To think about how our dealings with mortality devour each of us is an endlessly fascinating speculation.

But if you look at the world around us, you can see we are also devoured by other great powers in the world, which brings us back to Ed Grim's quote from the Dalai Lama not too far above.  It's worth another look.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » What is wrong with today's world?!?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary