navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » Worn out!
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic Worn out! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA

0 posted 2003-03-05 01:49 PM

I've spent most of my morning trying to catch up on as much poetry as I could.  I read all the Passion's newsletters, roamed all over PiP trying to get refamilarized with everthing.... I'm pooped!

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

© Copyright 2003 JP Burns - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2003-03-05 02:10 PM

This just means you have to hang around so you don't have to do a marathon catch up anymore!!!
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
2 posted 2003-03-07 08:17 PM

I agree with JP. We must be getting 150 submissions a day. That's a book, and I can't read a book of poetry a day and get anything out of it.

Until the Reflections flood is over I'm not even going to try!

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2003-03-07 08:31 PM

I'm taking my time...reading what 'catches my eye'..but also if anyone emails me a link to something really good that I've missed, I do read that. And appreciate the heads up...
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
4 posted 2003-03-07 08:55 PM

LOL -- that's what got me started thinking about it.... My own stuff started getting a third of its normal response, and dropping out of sight before it was seen by folks I was pretty sure would like it. I felt all put-upon for about five minutes, then I realized that almost everybody's stuff was careening into oblivion, because of the sheer number of submissions.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2003-03-07 09:00 PM

My last post in Open had 7 replies...LOL..oh well..it's NOT about the numbers.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2003-03-07 09:16 PM

quote:
… everybody's stuff was careening into oblivion, because of the sheer number of submissions.

Shouldn't the sheer number of comments rise at a corresponding rate?

There's no way one person can read everything being posted, granted. But if everyone posting reads just a handful of threads, the math is going to work the same as it always has.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2003-03-07 09:17 PM

There we go guys..challenged by the man. Ok...I'll be seeking out poems with less than 3 replies.
JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
8 posted 2003-03-08 12:44 PM

After work tomorrow I am going to start a steady pace of at least one full forum a day.  float around the others but read through one forum and comment when the mood tells me too.  I'm going to start in Dark #3, seems to me that there is very little commenting in ratio to posting in that forum...

I don't know if I will go to Mature Content forums though... I always get distracted....

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
9 posted 2003-03-09 06:46 PM

Yep, you'd think it would work out that way, but it doesn't seem to. We've got folks posting a half dozen poems a day now, and seemingly not sticking around to read much.

If you to put in a poem and a whole bunch of others get posted, yours gets pushed down before people see it. It may get resurrected later, but only if somebody gets far enough down the list to reach it.

It seems to be getting a bit better, not that I'm helping much myself during the past few days.... my own computer's down and I'm snatching precious minutes on Ed Jr's box to do the little participation I've been able to manage....falling ever further back in the pack....

I may just start reading forums from the bottom up -- oldest first -- rather than just hitting the most recent stuff. I'll comment on things I think are truly top-notch, and bring 'em back up where people can see 'em.

[This message has been edited by Ratleader (03-09-2003 10:51 PM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2003-03-10 12:00 PM

LOL at this thread, as I can relate to feeling fatigued from the speeding bullet syndrome.
Just relax and enjoy the variety, and try to read a handful from newer poets and those who rarely post, along with your favorites. We all have our faves, and sometimes we just don't get around to visiting with everyone.
Take a deep breath, pick a 'slow hour' early AM or late night, and the pace won't seem so frightening, er, fatiguing. I don't get to read as much as I'd like to either, yet some days I feel I spend too much time here and not enough doing 'chores' at home. BLECH! CHORES. They can almost always wait until next week.
the pace may be fast, but the alternative is....not acceptable.
I love the energy at this site!

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
11 posted 2003-03-10 12:49 PM

Speeding Bullet Syndrome -- I like that!

There's a good side to it, too. You feel driven to write-write-write, at least I start feeling that way. I'm writing more now than I ever have, by a factor of ten.....

I just did that looking-at-new-folks thing in Reflections, and it felt kinda good. I also picked up a few of my faves that I'd missed.

BUT -- I'm still going to start reading Open from the bottom up. Lotsa good stuff down there, and I'm going to dredge it!

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
12 posted 2003-03-10 02:31 AM

I've been reading so much I can't take the time to write, plus whenever I reply to something I have to find my way back to where I left off... so much clicking around... (woe is me).

I must admit though, the Iraq discussion in some of the forums have occupied most of my time recently..... I should be back to poetry....

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
13 posted 2003-03-10 09:21 AM

This is why you guys have got to start reading/replying in Teen. It's sloooooow.

I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
14 posted 2003-03-11 12:57 PM

That's prolly cuz everybody's going bonzo over Reflections right now and spending their time in that forum -- Bet it goes back up as soon as the book material is finalized!

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
15 posted 2003-03-13 03:17 PM

Gads!
I'm still suffering through the cold and unable to read/post/respond as much as I'd like to....Good news! It's March! Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up some.

I like to think of it as the "Bullet train" myself.

Chanson
since 2000-08-19
Posts 1559
Up Creek w/Out Paddle
16 posted 2003-03-19 11:10 PM

I've been participating more in the past 2 months than I ever have. I find myself visiting PIP sporatically, like being here for a few months than leaving for a few. I very much enjoy reading and responding to the poetry but in all honesty I can only take so much of any one site on a day to day or month to month basis so when I feel I am overdosing on a site, or the internet particularly, I have to bow out for a few days, weeks, even months.

When I 'live' at a site every aspect of my real life suffers. I can't in good conscience commit hour after hour on a daily basis reading every poem. Like ratleader said (or was it someone else?) with so many submissions in one day it equates to reading a book and I can't read a book everyday without sacrificing quality time with my children, my husband, my Notary work, house chores, etc.

So while all of this may sound like an apology, I really have no intentions on giving more time to the forum than I already am. I recognize and acknowledge my limitations and know that if I give any more time to PIP than I already am it is not healthy.

With that said, I have a pet peeve and I have deleted twice my posting of it in Feelings but I think it's worth passing on here. I joined the book submission festivities with an open mind...that I would read the poems and vote when I felt moved by the poems. I should have never clicked on the Vote Tabulations page for one reason (and finally getting to my pet peeve)... I have a real problem with those poets who have dumped their poems and got the heck out of Dodge. It burns me to see big fat goose eggs behind their names, indicating they have not voted for a single poem! I feel their disinterest in the reading/voting process is not in the spirit of the PIP family and it goes against the whole premise of fair participation. So I have decided I will not give my votes to the dumpers, even if I like the poem. If this makes me a mean or vindictive person, well, then so be it but I am boycotting their submissions on principle alone.

Like I said, I can't live here and I can fully understand that others can't live here either but some poets haven't even attempted to make even the least effort.

Thanks for listening. I feel better for getting this off my chest.

Be well, Carry on  

[This message has been edited by Chanson (03-19-2003 11:26 PM).]

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
17 posted 2003-03-22 02:08 AM

hmmm, perhaps some people hope that their work will be selected purely on its merit?

i guess what i want to say is that i don't wish my musings were selected due to a high indirect vote count...just some weird thoughts of mine...

i have voted for others' poems though

Chanson
since 2000-08-19
Posts 1559
Up Creek w/Out Paddle
18 posted 2003-03-22 07:32 AM

Hi kaile. Yes, it would be nice
if all the submissions could be selected
for the book on their own merit. However,
for this to happen, poets must vote for them.
If you and I and all the other 233
participating poets took the same stance, who
would be voting for the poems? How would
our poem/s be receiving direct votes if it
weren't for us voting, thus giving ourselves
indirect votes?

Let's remember; every indirect vote I
receive is a direct vote for someone else.

So while us wanting our poetry to make it
into the book on its own merit is commendable,
it is also not practical
when the only way for it to make it into
the book is by and through voter participation.

I chose not to sit on my laurels while I
realize this is a give and take type of contest and one
in which a book would never exist if it
were not for poet particitation, not SOLEY by
a poet's "dump poem and cross fingers" type of deal.  

[This message has been edited by Chanson (03-22-2003 08:10 AM).]

kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
19 posted 2003-03-22 11:53 AM

Let's remember; every indirect vote I
receive is a direct vote for someone else.

Chanson, i have forgotten that..thanks for reminding me

I have a healthy dose of respect for my work but i feel awed, even intimidated when i witness the talent so prevalent within the submissions..sometimes i wonder why i got the cheek to submit in the first place when i jolly well know my work isn't of such good quality..

hence a conscious decision not to participate fully in the voting process because i don't want to vote 500 times and feel that i have somehow bribed my way into the book

thanks for clearing up my reservations...very much appreciated and i shall involve myself more...

[This message has been edited by kaile (03-22-2003 11:54 AM).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
20 posted 2003-03-22 12:03 PM

I see the 'goose eggs' behind some members names but I still read their poetry. The purpose of the book is to have a good selection of poetry. I would hazard a guess that if a member doesn't vote for anyone's work, they won't even sign their agreement if their poem is chosen. If they don't care enough to hang around, they won't care if they get in the book. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

No one should feel their work isn't 'good enough'. As Ron has said, so far the work that's been chosen is exceptional! I thnk we have a better selection than the last forum book. So you should all feel proud of yourselves and your poetry.

Good job!

Chanson
since 2000-08-19
Posts 1559
Up Creek w/Out Paddle
21 posted 2003-03-26 08:25 AM

I also read everyone's poetry. And since my above rant,
I have had a change of heart.
I've been reading and enjoying,
letting the poetry take me away.
I am thankful Ron has
this home for us (Thank you, Ron!).

Has anyone ever wanted to kick themselves
in the behind or wished they could retract
a barrage of venting words? That's me right
now. I wish 20/20 hindsight preceeded blurred foresight!

Regards,
Chanson

[This message has been edited by Chanson (03-26-2003 08:27 AM).]

kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
22 posted 2003-03-26 11:04 AM

but your blurred foresight helped to dissolve my reservations!!

we may feel our actions weren't that honourable but we never know what kind of positive effects such actions may induce anyway...

thanks again?

Chanson
since 2000-08-19
Posts 1559
Up Creek w/Out Paddle
23 posted 2003-03-26 05:57 PM

Kaile, I am glad my words were useful
to you (but next time I will
choose them more carefully or not
use them at all! *L)

Cheers

When you think you have heard it all,
listen more closely.
~Dorene

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
24 posted 2003-03-27 10:54 PM

I've cast about the same number of votes as the total that my entries have received. Not intentionally, but I'm sort of glad it has worked out that way. Makes me feel, well, equal in some way......

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » Worn out!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary