navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Spaces
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Spaces Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI

0 posted 2003-01-13 07:04 PM

we name each other
straying from sight on long-windex beaches
trudging toward the days where everything
is right inside us strolling
and tugging on each other
's-seams

we smile on fortuna
and her light-broken prism grown
gowning her chalky skin

spit

let the white
night
in

[This message has been edited by Child of the Stars (01-13-2003 07:05 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Carly Anne Van Dort - All Rights Reserved
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
1 posted 2003-01-15 12:32 PM

This one's tough to understand, Carly (like I should expect anything else by now), but I'm going to try.  Bear with me here, and if I'm way off, correct me please.  

First, it seemed like you were describing an internalized hope for some happy delusion, for a state of joy and happiness between two people, "straying from sight on long-windex beaches," in other words, walking on clarity but not using it - looking forward when the option exists to look down.  Windex beaches, clear and perfectly transparent, that you "trudge" upon instead of looking through.

You "name each other," attributing hopes to one another, walking together towards the same goals of deluded happiness...

Maybe I'm reading my own feelings into this one a little bit, heh... could be that this poem is tugging away at some of my already existing sentiments, bringing them to surface... but that's really what I see in here, and I have trouble interpreting it any other way.

Brian

"Faith" means the will to avoid knowing what is true.
~ Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

knightlyshadows
since 2001-04-14
Posts 791
obscured vision
2 posted 2003-02-03 01:50 PM

ah, another poem i've been meaning to reply to, but just haven't. *slacker*
carly anne.. you've stumped me on this one. i usually atleast have one idea as to what your work is about but this one is baffling. you always do that so well. :p *wubs you and misses you*
loved this bit dear:
quote:
trudging toward the days where everything
is right inside us strolling
and tugging on each other
's-seams

we smile on fortuna
and her light-broken prism grown
gowning her chalky skin

the trudging makes me think you move toward this good thing which you like. which is completely the opposite of what most folks would do. the spit /really/ messed with my head... i'd love an explanation of this one, love. *smoochy*

“A single choice can build destinies, or destroy them.”
"You can't fight the tears that aren't coming.."

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2003-02-08 08:22 PM

Interesting poem, though I must ask what you mean by "fortuna" and the "light-broken prism grown."  These terms confused me as I read the poem.

Other than that, though, I think this poem has a very dark and mysterious edge to it.  I like that kind of an edge.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI
4 posted 2003-02-11 10:30 AM

Thanks a ton guys...

Fractal, Fortuna's sposed to stand for fate. This is really about my struggle between acceptance of my life and all the tactics I do to change it or defy it, especially when relative to my somebody special. The light-broken prism gives image to the sort of sketchy, shattered feel to something I once revered as "lightful" or giving understanding. It has encompassed fate..."gowning" her...Heh, I know there's a lot to be read between the lines, but I hope that helped at least a little bit. Thanks again for reading.

~Carly

empty-armed
and half a soul to go
                     -el sol
                        --Zwan

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

5 posted 2003-02-16 01:07 AM

I appreciate poetry with lots to be read between the lines, as you say.  You've done a good job displaying the struggle between the idealized self and the acceptance of the real self.  Your glass is an appropriate image.  We can see the world through glass and yet we can also see ourselves in it.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
6 posted 2003-02-17 03:47 PM

I'll be back to this one. Mhm, for sure.

~Titus

"On the plains of Hesitation lie the blackend bones of countless millions, who, at the verge of victory, sat down to wait, and waiting - died."

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
7 posted 2003-02-26 03:41 PM

Well, I'm finally back, O' Starchild one, and I'm as stunned and smiling as before. This piece is right up my alley, but better then I'll ever write.

Smashing.

~Titus

"On the plains of Hesitation lie the blackend bones of countless millions, who, at the verge of victory, sat down to wait, and waiting - died."

[This message has been edited by PoetryIsLife (02-26-2003 03:42 PM).]

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2003-02-26 04:38 PM

The placement of your words
shows wit and wonder
on this windex world.

You should submit to the book.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Spaces

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary