navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Ain't It Fun
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ain't It Fun Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Logan
since 2001-05-28
Posts 1641
Arkansas

0 posted 2001-09-29 10:16 PM

The smell of grass fills the air,
thoughts of days without care.
Hay in bales to load on trucks,
can’t stop now or be out of luck.
Muscles strain against browned skin,
as we lift again and again.

No such thing as home by five,
daylight to dark for job to survive.
Sweat pours off under boiling sun,
when some fool said, ain’t this fun.
He must have known what I didn’t then,
for he was so old it was a living sin.

Looking back down all those years,
I thought of that old man with some tears.
For yes, it was fun, on looking back,
pitting self against a moving stack.
He had put it in words for all to see,
we were living life in a land of free.

© Copyright 2001 Logan - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2001-09-29 10:32 PM

Logan, I remember my dad telling me of his teen days of walking to work, working all day on a farm, and getting just enough to put some gas in the car and to take my mom out..... I love it when they tell stories like that  This made me think of that.......thank you, this is wonderful  
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
2 posted 2001-09-29 10:41 PM

Dear gentle Logan..the storyteller of storytellers.   This is very well done and quite a vivid image was quickly painted in my mind.  And, lets not forget.
"He had put it in words for all to see,
we were living life in a land of free."
Enjoyed lovable Logan.  ~Hugs, Nancy Lee~

~Time has cast a spell on you,
So that you won't ever forget me.~

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2001-09-29 11:54 PM

He must have known what I didn’t then,
for he was so old it was a living sin.
=======================================

Hard to believe there was a time when you weren't wise  
very cool poem sweet keeper...
your cadence had be pickin' and a grinin...
and hey....
there aint nothing like tanned, glistening muscles for imagery WOOHOO ROFL  

We're all feeding our lonely ... like it might go away,
Like the doors of heaven will swing wide ... if we just find the right words to say.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2001-09-30 12:04 PM

Logan--The looking back makes a time like this very special..for sometimes we don't appreciate what we are doing at the time we are doing it. We should.  Thank you for sharing this special memory and hugs for being so special yourself!
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2001-09-30 12:16 PM

Ah, Logan. You have such a great way of putting life's everyday blood, sweat and tears in perspective. The physical endurance of an uncomplicated task, the sweet sweat of labor in the sun. I've loaded bales of straw, fed chickens and hogs, weeded gardens and shoveled manure, picked cotton as well as oranges and peas, managed a networked computer lab, and edited technical engineering documents. And I always left the fields and gardens with a greater sense of  accomplishment and peace than any office or school job. Thanks for reminding me how good it feels to do the physical tasks.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
6 posted 2001-09-30 12:28 PM

fun can be so fun, my friend,
with bales and bales of hey again,
and more hellos piled on the bed
of pick up trucks, as Time has fled....

remembering the eras, whens,
survival, unity, the friends
so sweetly joined in labor of
a purpose, can define the Love
which all of us must have, entwined,
our hearts in blood on contracts signed

the memories of seeing eyes
are far from blind, but oh so wise
and looking back brings view toward

------------

geez...... you inspired me.... thank YOU!! coming back to edit to finally say i thought your pome was kickin'!! great write here!! thanks for the read and i hope it was ok that i tagged onto it because damn...!!! somehow i can't help it when the muse comes and you inspired it to come out, no matter how lame what i wrote was...

your poem.......... was heartfelt and i liked it very much!!!!! thank you
the future which we must afford!!

[This message has been edited by doreen peri (edited 09-30-2001).]

Logan
since 2001-05-28
Posts 1641
Arkansas
7 posted 2001-09-30 01:42 AM

SEA, I am glad I brought some good memories back to you. It was a different time. Your dad and I could probably shared a can of peaches on a hot day and told many a story together..thank you for your read..very gentle smile

Ahh, Nancy Lee, I am glad you could see where it was..thank you for your comments and read..very gentle smile

Janet Marie, naw, I was a dumb kid  LOL, but strong, so they kept me on the lifting more than the raking...glad you liked..and thanks for being here...very gentle smile

Ahh, Martie, very gentle smile, too often we don't appreciate what we are basicly learning, which will carry us forward in our lifes..Thank you for being here and appreciate the hugs

Midnitesun, yes, it does seem more satisfying at the end of the day, doesn't it? Thank you for being here, and for your so nice comments..very gentle smile

Ahh, Doreen, then if I inspired you, you have made my day. and thank you for such kind words..and the poem you tacked on,,enjoyed...very gentle smile

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2001-09-30 01:52 AM

Well heck, I can still smell hay!  That must mean this was a darn descriptive poem and I loved it.  (went for a hayride once) but that is another story  

~Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self~ Cyril Connolly

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
9 posted 2001-09-30 02:20 AM

Logan
Such a wonderful piece you have penned here with such excellent imagery.  Take care...Sue

Suetang

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2001-09-30 08:19 AM

to do that, which is a choice to you,
or say this, to voice a view
happens to only very few
except in the land of the free

it happens here, where blue takes clue
white lends right, considered our due
where red was spilt, 'tis very true
here, in the land of the free...

[a few extra lines of inspired...]

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited 09-30-2001).]

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
11 posted 2001-09-30 09:46 AM

Logan, it sounds like a hard life, but in retrospect, you can see the freedom of it as well. Good write, you can feel the hot sun beating down on the men as they work.
Sandra

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
In a corporeal internship...
12 posted 2001-09-30 10:43 AM

Indeed, a powerful description, Sir, but I also detected another side to this -- a subtle sense of irony in the sin of physical labor for an elderly man in "the land of the free"...  This left me pondering...

-MVS

"Learn to let go of fear, doubt, and disbelief..."  --THE MATRIX

http://www.davidicke.com/icke/index1c.html

Logan
since 2001-05-28
Posts 1641
Arkansas
13 posted 2001-09-30 02:29 PM

Ahh, Mysteria, I am glad to bring back memories, but,ahhh, no, I won't ask about that hayride either...thank you for being here..very gentle smile

Sue, very gentle smile, thank you for your kind words, they always are important to me..

Sis, I am more than pleased for you to add, for it always makes the poem sweeter. Glad for the inspire..very gentle smile

Ahh, Sandra, all life is hard at times, it is how we use it that counts..Thank you for being here and sharing...very gentle smile

Hey, Mark, always glad to see you here, and thank you for your words as usual..Always feel I have accomplished something if I can leave you pondering...gentle smile

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
14 posted 2001-09-30 06:04 PM

Very much enjoyed your nostalgic look back in this piece Logan ... wonderfully descriptive, nicely written!  

Best wishes,
/Kit

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
15 posted 2001-09-30 06:42 PM

*sigh* You make me smile, Sweet One, with your memories.   This is just wonderful.

Sometimes the heart needs the solace of solitude and silence.

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
16 posted 2001-09-30 06:56 PM

Thanks for sharing this one, Logan.  Brings back some wonderful memories of watching my uncle and my dad at my uncle's farm working in the fields.  Sigh.  

All writing comes
by the grace of God.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sunshinemist
since 2001-09-29
Posts 595
Fl. sunshines early mist
17 posted 2001-09-30 07:00 PM

Logan, Beautiful poem, many memories. Thank you for sharing. Very nice to meet you also.    Warm smiles, ~Marie~
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Ain't It Fun

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary