navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » None to be Found
Open Poetry #15
Post A Reply Post New Topic None to be Found Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
In a corporeal internship...

0 posted 2001-07-15 05:21 PM

Don't search for meaning
Where there's none to be found...
Don't wait for lost love
To come back around...
Sometimes our expectations
Crumble to the ground...
Don't search for meaning

How can a pair of honest eyes
Conceal the blatant Truth?
How can the lips
You loved to kiss
Secure you with their lies?
How can pure love be negated
As if it was never there?
How can bonds be severed
And dreams untethered
After all that had been shared?

Don't search for meaning
Don't wait for lost love
To come back around...
Crumble to the ground...
Don't search for meaning

When did apathy
Kill the passion dead?
So much mystery
Despite all that was said...
Rapture turned to hurt...
Trust transformed to doubt...
Memories stained by the dirt...
Is that what life's about?

And there's no telling
What the future holds...
When you think you've got it figured out,
Then a big surprise unfolds...

Don't search for meaning
Don't wait for lost love
To come back around...
Crumble to the ground...
Don't search for meaning

(Copyright 2001 by: MARK V SHELDON)

"If you think you know it all, you have a lot to learn."

"Everyone can hear;  few can listen."

© Copyright 2001 Mark V Sheldon - All Rights Reserved
Zinsser
since 2001-02-27
Posts 1641
Calif.
1 posted 2001-07-15 05:58 PM

"Don't search for meaning
Where theres none to be found"

Thats what drives me crazy.... There has to be meaning or all is for not and I can't (won't)live that way
Can't seem to find the chapter that say's Connie this is just for you, here are all your answers and "your" meaning.....

You and your darn words   LOL

Thank You
         ~~~Connie~~~

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
2 posted 2001-07-15 06:10 PM

Well...  that may be one of the biggest questions of all:  "Do things inherently have meaning in and of themselves, or do we as humans force meaning upon things?"  I'll take the middle-of-the-road approach and say, "both".  That's why every artistic piece is going to have a slightly different meaning to everyone who comes across it, which may or may not have anything at all to do with the creator's intent (this could be a pun if you capitalize the "C" in "creator"...), but that's also what makes art vehemently enjoyable and visceraly P.O.'ing.  Anyways, regarding the chapter of which you speak...  you know the old saying, "The book you can't find is the one you're meant to write"...  GET TO IT!!
;->

-MVS

"When you tell the Truth, you never have to remember what you just said."
--Del Casher

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
3 posted 2001-07-15 06:39 PM

Mark, I think I will go with there is meaning in all of it. Just well hidden meaning in many cases. I can't help myself, I always have to search. Like this lots.
Sandra

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
4 posted 2001-07-15 06:56 PM

Sandra:  I believe "everything happens for a reason", but I question what percentage is our own focusing on a "self-created" reason rather than the bigger meaning which encapsulates our smaller ones...

-MVS

--Del Casher

shadow974
since 2001-06-21
Posts 636
Michigan
5 posted 2001-07-15 08:25 PM

I want to searh for meaning but there are so many possiblities that the meaning can not be found.

Do not fear going forward slowly,
Fear only standing still.

rascalx
since 1999-08-25
Posts 590
Florence, SC, USA
6 posted 2001-07-15 10:32 PM

I'm speechless! (and that is the highest compliment I can give lol) Have you ever been trying desperately to put what you're feeling about a particular subject (in this case, the aftermath of a broken relationship) into words, and despite all of your attempts, the poems just don't "do the trick"? Then you come across someone else's poem that says it PERFECTLY! That's what you have done here! Thank you for sharing this... now my muse will be quiet and find other things for me to write about! lol
                      - Jeff

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2001-07-15 11:22 PM

Mark--people and circumstances change...it is good that life moves on and lessons are learned from it.  

Your poem sounded very lyrical to me..I could almost hum the tune.

Flutterwings
since 2001-07-10
Posts 288
Maine
8 posted 2001-07-16 12:03 PM

Mark, I felt like I was on a very calm wave coming ashore. A gentle flow, but the voice was a bit angry and discouraged. Truth does that sometimes. A rhythmic read that I so much enjoyed. Loaded with wisdom and realism. Sometimes it is best not to know... and just go with the flow.. Great Write!!!!!!    Love and peace ((~.~))

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
9 posted 2001-07-16 11:32 AM

Dan, the meaning actually can always be "found", but it's a matter of whether or not we are ready to acknowledge, understand, and accept it...  We can only do our best at that point in time by having a pure heart and motives.  Thanks for the read and thoughts.

Wow, Jeff -- I am sincerely honored to have written something which can resonate with another than for whom it was intended.  That is the magic and power of poetry and its "ripple-effect".  I'm glad you enjoyed, though I feel for you in terms of having to relate to the feelings and experience I describe...  May your muse guide you in positive directions.

Hi Martie, thank you for your observations.  This song is still in progress, but I'm happy to hear that the melody is "universal"! :-)  Yes, as I've said before elsewhere, change is much easier when we learn to work with it, and I'm learning, but doesn't mean I always enjoy it, though...  

Thanks for the read and thoughts, Flutterwings.  I don't mind "going with the flow", so long as I know it's not down a toilet or off the edge of a waterfall, but I guess that's half the adventure in life, right?  Perspective is everything, I know, but sometimes it's good to simply acknowledge and express one's feelings in order to reflect on them and then procceed forward...

-MVS

--Del Casher

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » None to be Found

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary