navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » bestfriend (for cherry)
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic bestfriend (for cherry) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
anawnda
since 2002-07-26
Posts 113

0 posted 2002-07-26 04:50 AM

bestfriend (for cherry) 12/18/01

though distance
          spans a thousand latitudes
               & time
              may make
                  memory sleep

the heart knows
          its way
            it remembers
              the laughter
                 & tears.

and now we stand,
         like total strangers,
          it seems you've changed,
           i guess i did too.

but the need stayed;
        though i feel indifferent,
         you took my hand
          & told me how you've
           missed me.

you still talk about
         "the boys" ;
           your insecurities.
      I found myself "still" egging you on
        to be more confident.

no,
             nothing's changed after all

© Copyright 2002 anawnda - All Rights Reserved
*~p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s.~*
since 2002-07-25
Posts 38

1 posted 2002-07-26 10:14 AM

aw that's really sweet. i wish me and my friend still had the same relationship even tho we're really far away. i hope everything goes good with you and your friend and all that. this was a really nice poem.
~*britt*~

fearing-laughter
since 2001-04-24
Posts 605
land of cheese (Wisconsin)
2 posted 2002-07-26 11:11 AM

hey,
cool as hell, what a great poem about friendship...if only they all turned out this way in the end...
-bergundy-

maybe i'll catch fire, something nice to warm me. something pure to burn away the darkness, that hides inside my mind. -alkaline trio-

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
3 posted 2002-07-28 02:51 PM

never use ampersands in a poem, unless they have a significant meaning.  [of which they didn't in this piece].

it's not that hard to type out two extra letters.  it decreases the poems credibility and makes it appear tacky.

/jen/

so foul and fair a day i have not seen.  - macbeth act 1, scene 3

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
4 posted 2002-07-28 03:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by quietlydying
never use ampersands in a poem, unless they have a significant meaning.  [of which they didn't in this piece].

it's not that hard to type out two extra letters.  it decreases the poems credibility and makes it appear tacky.

/jen/

[rant] Poetry is not about don't this and don't do that, write what you feel in your heart and write it how you feel and never let anyone tell you how to do it "right" because unless you are looking to do something like a paradelle or Haiku where there are rules (and even these can be bent by poetic licensce) there is no right or wrong way to write, nobodies method is better and as long as you write from the heart it doesn't matter.

As for an ampesand decreasing the poems credibility and appearing "tacky", I have to say that this comment is hardly what we want to see, it neither encourages the author or is constructive in it's critcism especially when there is no message about critiques.   [/rant]

Great poem btw, I really enjoyed the read, please keep on posting such wonderful work

Andrew

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance."

Sun Tzu

[This message has been edited by Marshalzu (07-28-2002 03:32 PM).]

anawnda
since 2002-07-26
Posts 113

5 posted 2002-07-29 01:40 AM

ey thanks andrew and you guys for the comment. actually its ok, you can say anything about my poems im ok w/it i wont stop writing still.
i also think poetry shouldnt have rules because we write to express ourself. but its ok about the ampersands thingy, i kinda felt ;like doing it so i did =) i didnt mean to offend anybody by breakind their rules, im sorry and thank you.

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
6 posted 2002-07-29 11:01 PM

oh you never offended me in any way so don't apologize.

and yes there are rights and wrongs in poetry.  though the rules are there for breaking when it helps express a certain emotion.

i did enjoy the read though, and neglected to say so in my first post.

/jen/

so foul and fair a day i have not seen.  - macbeth act 1, scene 3

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » bestfriend (for cherry)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary