navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » paper thin (a work in progress)
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic paper thin (a work in progress) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
pharon
since 1999-11-13
Posts 251
alabama

0 posted 2001-07-05 12:17 PM

delicate wings
  stronger
than you
fly me away
you'll feel the
  sting

© Copyright 2001 maria g robinson - All Rights Reserved
fozzyozzy
since 2001-03-15
Posts 336
Lessburg Virginia
1 posted 2001-07-05 05:17 AM

I've always liked your work. Short and to the point.  This one is good, but not my fave from you.  otherwise, good poem.  Keep it up.

"This is cactus land!!!"-T.S.Eliot

the_rescue
since 2001-05-23
Posts 316
Japan
2 posted 2001-07-05 08:22 AM

good stuff it confused me at first but I like it's simplicity it was really good.

I'm not asking U 2 luv me I'm just letting out the truth no hold barred about what I feel nothing wrong with what I say

branden726
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-25
Posts 607
Bay City, MI
3 posted 2001-07-05 10:40 AM

Well it seems im always behind the_rescue and im always agreeing this is nice poem and yes it is sweet and to the point and if its in the working stages then well i cant wait to see the rest.

All you other poets beware my true feelings and poetry are about to flare!
~*~Branden~*~

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
4 posted 2001-07-05 10:47 AM

Great work, I thought that this was something special and I like it how it is leaving a lot to the imagination...
Zu

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 posted 2001-07-05 11:58 AM

I think it would be VERY interesting to see you make this into a senryu.  That would be a challenge.. I like this so far.  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

--Marie

You can’t expect the roses to grow without the weeds.

Heavens Tears
since 2001-03-15
Posts 677

6 posted 2001-07-05 12:00 PM

I wish you had posted the entire poem, b/c I am really curious to where you are going w/ it.  Sounds good so far!

*Amanda*
I need more time to find the real me...
to fly like the birds... to be set free.

JBaker515
since 2001-02-28
Posts 458
Dartmouth College
7 posted 2001-07-05 12:06 PM

delicate wings
  stronger
than you
fly me away
you'll feel the
  sting

For me this was wierd...
nice words..
just where are you going with this..
Marie's idea of a senryu is a good idea..
try it!
I bet it will come out nicely

$ Jeff $   :  )

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes......just wait longer!"

"You may take our lives, but you'll never take our FREEDOM!

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
8 posted 2001-07-05 12:27 PM

Nicely written so far- Can't wait to see the finished product.
anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

9 posted 2001-07-06 02:31 AM

enjoyed this one...less put into format though...then your previous ones..i guess the finish might suprise me.

im addicted to passions in poetry!...are you?

pharon
since 1999-11-13
Posts 251
alabama
10 posted 2001-07-06 01:11 PM

thanx so much for all your encouragements and suggestions!!  this is definitly still in progress and to be honest the only part of the poem i'm happy with is, "delicate wings/ stronger"  i know it's a little out there, but oh well.  the other day i was looking at a bumble bee and was just thinking about how amazing it is that there wings are so delicate and yet sooo strong...so hopefully i'll go somewhere with this poem, but until then....

mr

oh yeah, marie, what is the type of poem your talking about?  i'm always up for a challenge!

Fading Away
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
11 posted 2001-07-06 10:10 PM

A senryu or haiku...

A haiku is a poetic form that is a 3 line poem with a structured format depending on syllable count.

Usually a haiku is written in three lines.  The 3-lined haiku has the syllable count of 5-7-5 syllables in 1st-2nd-3d lines.

For example:
moving in the sun
the pony takes in with him
some mountain shadow

The first line and last line have 5 syllables while the middle line has 7.

Another suggestion in this poem, is you could try a tanka.  A tanka uses 5 lines and has the syllable count of 5-7-5-7-7.

For example:
"She asked me one day
What are you reading these days?
Every night I read
One page of the book of dreams
Then I go to bed for more"
  --Turki Amer

There ya go... try to rewrite this poem in one of these forms.  It's a challenge, but it
ll be neat to see what you come up with  

--Marie

You can’t expect the roses to grow without the weeds.

[This message has been edited by Fading Away (edited 07-06-2001).]

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
12 posted 2001-07-07 04:57 PM

Ok you know I am a fan of your work Pharon. This was very deep for me.....not simple at all. What I got from it, and even though I read you were looking at a bumble bee and voila...well anyway, what I got from it was that you have delicate wings that are so fragile, yet they are stronger than this person you're talking to. The wings will fly you away from that person and the person will feel the sting of lonliness.

Maybe SHE/HE was the one that made your wings weak, but regardless of any of that they are stronger than that other person and you'll fly off and they'll be the one to suffer in the end.

Well that's my interpretation.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

pharon
since 1999-11-13
Posts 251
alabama
13 posted 2001-07-09 12:08 PM

marie --
   ok, i feel stupid for not knowing what you were talking about...i should have known that! but anyway, i will definitly try to rewrite the poem...i think i'll try both types and we'll see which comes out best!

dopey --
   your interpretation was very right!  while i was looking at the bee and was so amazed by the strength of those 'paper thin' wings, i started thinking of the strength behind something so delicate..and relayed it to a lot of situations i've been in and how much i've wanted to just be able to find the strength to 'fly away' and let people feel the sting of lonliness...so this poem definintly has a double meaning.  i am talking about the wonder of the strength in a bee...but also about the strength of the soul.  (eek..i'm sounding too deep even for me!)  

alright...well, i'm going to go work on this now and see what i can come up with!  hopefully you guys won't loose interest in this and forget about it.  

mr

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
14 posted 2001-07-12 07:05 PM

Very intruiging and interesting post.  Thanks for sharing.

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Erin, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Mare

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
15 posted 2001-07-15 05:57 AM

Alright well this is a bump to say.....
I'm so very happy that my interpretation hit the spot....and for others to get a peek at this amazing piece by one of my most fav poets on this site.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

Somewhere out there a cow is laughing at you

~sugarpie313~
since 2000-09-14
Posts 375
Maine, USA
16 posted 2001-07-15 11:54 AM

i have to admit i didn't really like this poem until i read dopey's interpretation... then i went and re-read the poem and it made perfect sense to me! *L* and now i love it! hahaha great job! can't wait to see the re-writes!

Valerie

"...And i want to take you down, but your soul could not be found, doesn't matter much you see cause your disease is killing me..." -Saliva

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » paper thin (a work in progress)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary