navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Tower
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tower Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2001-09-12 12:19 PM

I thought I'd do my own tribute to the calamity and horror of today.  Words cannot express what I felt as a result of it.  Nor can this poem.

Panic
Gaping hole under me
We fall down
down
down

Slowly
Support struts impale me
We rain blood
blood
blood

I just
I just wanted to live
We were white
they
are
dark

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

© Copyright 2001 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
punkrockerrobin
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 1180
Sparks, NV
1 posted 2001-09-12 01:27 AM

very well done! good work.hmmmmm i think i get it.
robin

Things I Have Learned I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
2 posted 2001-09-12 02:47 AM

Wow out of all the pieces I have read about this event, this one chilled me. The repetition probably caused such an effect but wow...very good work, Frac.

~AF~

"Kelly's my Hero!" "No, Kelly's your heroine." "Kelly has heroin??" "What?"

xShUgArHiGhx
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-09-26
Posts 3150
tRyIn tO fIt iN2 mY oWn ShoEs
3 posted 2001-09-12 01:42 PM

This definately was chilling, especially since over 30 people i kno either experienced, saw in person, or died from it since im only 20 min away from the city...Its a really tough thing to put into words b/c words will never do enough justice...but this was a wonderful tribute
keoni
since 2000-10-16
Posts 850
Up in the mountains in the NFC
4 posted 2001-09-12 03:35 PM

Another nice tribute. I think I picked up on what you were trying to bring across. Great job on the poem.
Jon

"Your anger is a gift"-Rage Against The Machine
"Only God can judge me" Tupac Shakur

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
5 posted 2001-09-15 12:28 PM

"We were white
they
are
dark"

I need some help on this
I can't seem to understand what it means
thanks

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Allysa, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Ma

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
6 posted 2001-09-15 12:55 PM

Think dust acire.

"Kelly's my Hero!" "No, Kelly's your heroine." "Kelly has heroin??" "What?"

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

7 posted 2001-09-16 12:55 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments.

After I'd finished posting this poem[well, more appropriately, a couple days after] I became quite worried about just what meaning people were getting from that final stanza that Acire had some trouble with.  Specifically, I was afraid that it might carry across some racial message. [IE 'we, the white guys, were taking down by the black guys, and so they're no good.' sorta thing].  

Those final four lines relate directly to the two lines preceding them.  Those lines portray the overall innocence of the victims when compared to those who committed the terrible act.  This comparison is further highlighted by the final lines:

"We were white
they
are
dark"

I have used the image of white to signify innocence.  This white contrasts with the darkness of the perpetrators, who remain faceless so as to reinforce the fact that there was no excuse for the terrorist act.  Because there was absolutely no excuse for this act, it's perpetrators remain, in this poem, nameless and faceless, as they stand as an icon for nothing of worth.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Tower

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary