navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » I Will Not Pray to You
Dark Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Will Not Pray to You Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever

0 posted 2003-07-09 04:10 PM

God,
You can allow my mother and father to die.
You can take my home away,
And allow me to live out in the streets…
But know that, to you, I’ll never pray.

Lord,
You are not worthy.
Give me a chance to explain.
I will NOT get down on my knees for you,
In all of my wretched, mortal pain.

I will fornicate before I get married,
And steal when I see fit.
When someone tells me I’m in the wrong,
I’ll simply reply, “[edited by moderator]!”

I will not say Our Fathers or Hail Marys
I will not say grace at dinner.
I will not fear you or allow to judge me,
And in the end I will still come out as a winner.

My God, you are my enemy.
You always have been and you always will.
So take my loved ones away, oh lord,
Take all of them away.
I will never again look to the sky.
To you, I’ll never pray.

Dont you ever prey on me.

~..Throughout life, people come and go. Some people come back..~

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (07-10-2003 03:07 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Joseph Alexander Knob - All Rights Reserved
mysticpoe
since 2003-02-28
Posts 883

1 posted 2003-07-09 04:31 PM

WOW, Eagle. I wouldn't touch these emotions from 2 continents away. The words in your poem hit like guided adrenaline strikes. Your write is extremely powerful and I wouldn't dare go any where else with my comments. Except to say that the poem is very well written and overwhelms the reader like a 9 second air strike. Take Care.

mysticpoe

If nothing is something
then everything is
our thoughts and feelings
and all that exists.

[This message has been edited by mysticpoe (07-09-2003 05:18 PM).]

Dark Kisses
since 2001-06-24
Posts 364
Flat lands of Kansas
2 posted 2003-07-09 05:09 PM

I am speechless and let me add that RARELY happens.  lol

I agree, it was a very powerful poem with so much emotions.  Kept me interested till the very end!!

A friend, like a candle, is most needed in the darkness.

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
3 posted 2003-07-09 09:29 PM

I may not agree with your philosophy/your stance on religion, but this poem is a fairly powerful poem, something all poets generally try for.

~Titus

"I want you to hit me as hard as you can." No, really, I do.

dertah
since 2003-06-18
Posts 584

4 posted 2003-07-10 01:23 PM

is this what i am to become?  will i curse his name instead of praise?  in do time it will tell.
allen silver
since 2003-06-16
Posts 3

5 posted 2003-07-11 11:45 PM

eagle, i think your poem was written very well and its pretty deep,  sorry you feel the way you do about GOD. I was there once. glad I found my way back. hope you do
EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
6 posted 2003-07-17 04:15 PM

The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by "God" one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying . . . It does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.

- Carl Sagan

missmisery61
since 2003-07-08
Posts 56

7 posted 2003-07-18 11:52 AM

I'm sitting here at work, within the four confining walls of my office, totally blown away!  I am agnostic. The idea that we each were created with minds and emotions to think and explore ideas with and that at the same time, we are told by that same creator to "stay between the lines"  or the "crime" is punishable by being thrown in a pit of fire for eternity, is ludicrous.  I live in a small southern community and do not advertise my beliefs.  However, if directly questioned about them, I do not and will not lie.  A standing ovation to you for your courage and blatant honesty.

I must include in this reply that the expressions stated above, are my "truths", and respectfully, to each their own.

So lord I see you grinnin' must be grand always winning....AIC

[This message has been edited by missmisery61 (07-18-2003 12:46 PM).]

Magia_negra
since 2003-07-16
Posts 77
CA, USA
8 posted 2003-07-19 06:07 PM

Nice write, Eagle, very emotional.
I cannot agree or disagree with your beliefs cos i am not christian(I have native-american beliefs), so christian God doesn't make me either happy or angry.

...somos los locos para siempre
para siempre te amo
   mi vida...

eor
since 2002-09-26
Posts 959
blues & greys
9 posted 2003-07-20 12:28 PM

i totally agree with your view on "god", well maybe, i don't think he exists, but anyways powerful poem, nice write!

"in a past life i was a woodcarver's knife: the sharpend blade of a wood cutter, the eldest son of the chief's brother: a maker of drums"

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
10 posted 2003-07-20 12:21 PM

I like the poem.  The style is a bit lacking, sure, and I think you could really spice it up with a bit more technique, but what you have to say is the important part which I most admire...

I like your reply.  Indeed it makes little sense to pray to Gravity.  Praying to God for something different than would otherwise be is like saying "I disagree with Your plan, God, and I hope You'll alter it to my liking."  This not only suggests that God's plan is imperfect but also that He is willing to alter it for the sake of an imperfect mortal.  Doubly blasphemous, wouldn't you say?  

It's cute how people who justify God's ways with "Who are we to question Him?" still, nonetheless, selfishly pray to him for their own purposes.  Tragedy strikes the world constantly, but the only time we ever bother to pray about it is when it suddenly enters our lives.  Makes us feel altruistic but at the same time, it's impossible to escape the selfishness of it, because all we ever will know is what influences our own lives.

Why pray?  Praying is like standing up and interrupting a play by arguing that such-and-such event should have gone a different way.  Now how rude is that?

This is God's work of art, so shut up and enjoy the show.  

Parasite

Faith is a fine invention
When gentlemen can see
But microscopes are prudent
In an emergency.
~~~Emily Dickinson

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (07-20-2003 12:22 PM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
11 posted 2003-07-20 03:04 PM

ES, that last line was a great play on pray/prey.

My views on GOD vs NOGOD have varied greatly over time and circumstances,
and aren't really relevantto this post in the scheme of things. But what is important to me, is that you are suffering a great hurt from losing a family/friend, and are probably angry as well as hurt.
Hope you can work through this to the next level safely, wherever that takes you philosophically.
Peace, namaste, good luck to you.

and thanks for that sagacious Sagan quote

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (07-20-2003 03:05 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » I Will Not Pray to You

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary