navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » Starvation
Dark Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Starvation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
laryalee
since 2000-06-19
Posts 352
Alberta, Canada

0 posted 2001-02-01 07:56 PM

Beneath the harness
lay the yoke,
attaching
burdens
yet to come.
Beneath the sermon
lay the joke -
celestial wisdom,
human tongue.

The seed
was smothered,
cages built;
potential vigor
drained from birth.
The winds
of ritual
scattered guilt;
usurped
the nourishment
of earth.

Beneath
the surface
roots
succumbed;
the stalk
turned brittle
then
it broke.
(Haunting memories of a strict childhood)

[This message has been edited by laryalee (edited 02-01-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Laryalee Fraser - All Rights Reserved
Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
1 posted 2001-02-01 08:36 PM

You really do express yourself well. This sure doesn't sound like the true message you were meant to hear, His Yoke Is Easy and His Burden Is Light.  Sorry, this sounds so sad, hope you are overcoming, the harness bruises.

[This message has been edited by Songbird (edited 02-02-2001).]

laryalee
since 2000-06-19
Posts 352
Alberta, Canada
2 posted 2001-02-01 09:35 PM

Songbird, thank you - it's a long road....I'm getting there slowly, and the writing helps. Memories of my mother 'beating the devil out of me' cannot be erased, but I don't think God is like that, especially with children.
Lary

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

3 posted 2001-02-02 12:23 PM

~Ah,...ok, I'm back again. Really drawn to the way you write. Your choice and use of words is superb. Edgy, cold and so real. I felt this. Take care of yourself and keep writing, I'll be looking for more when I'm around. *Peace.
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2001-02-02 05:16 AM

This is the kind of thing that makes me write that stuff that gets so many religious people angry, even though I am religious.

Your poem reminds me of that parable in the New Testament, of the seeds that are sewn on the ground.  You know what the saddest part of religion is?  It's usually the religious people who turn people off from God or whoever is responsible for creating this thing we call the Universe.

Swamp¤Faeryie
since 2000-12-04
Posts 393
fairyland....of course;)
5 posted 2001-02-02 12:50 PM

WOW that was excellent,the first stanza is exquisitely written,you are very talented,i really liked this one!!

samantha

Do i contradict myself?Very well i contradict myself.I contain multitudes.~walt whitman

laryalee
since 2000-06-19
Posts 352
Alberta, Canada
6 posted 2001-02-02 06:15 PM

Thanks Spitfire, glad you liked it  - went to visit your work - Nice!

007 -  I agree - when you think of how many wars have been (still are) being fought over religion - makes one wonder.
BTW, I went to see your posts - stopped in at Philosophy 101 re Existence - I'll be posting a poem you may enjoy *g*.

Swamp Faeryie - thank you so much for your comments - I'll be looking for you around the boards!

Appreciation all around!
Lary

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » Starvation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary