navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » Disillusionment
Dark Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disillusionment Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2002-04-05 05:07 PM

The following poem is a reflection upon my own observations of a certain married couple as they fight.

Come
Let us reason together[1]
and come to terms with
the accident that fell[2]
upon us.                      

These changes run deep
Change defines us as we are
The changes will come now[3]

Let us yell at one another    
and fight about whose
fault led to our dying dead
love.[4]                      

For yours is the role                          
Suppress and hit and use her
Power and glory[5]

Be still, my child, and know  
that he is you and she is her,
the one you felt for and lived
for.[6]                        
Forever[7]

NOTES:

1.  Meant to sound similar to the beginning portions of the Biblical book of Isaiah.
2.  Pun on the fact that this poem was inspired by the incident in which the wife tripped over a box erroneously left in her path by either herself or her husband.
3.  Theoretical examination of the concept of change and how it relates to the situation the poet is observing.
4.  Even now the married couple is arguing about how they ended up violently breaking up, ignoring the fact that it was this fighting that was a major contributor to the breakup itself.
5.  Satirical observation of the Christian Church's promotion of patriarchy.
6.  Observer's statement on the speaker's interest in a woman he met and is interested in.  If he pursues this interest he will end up as the couple here.
7.  Final tying up.  This ends both the senryu portion of the poem and the main storyline.  The observer feels that the speaker may never get over his interest in the woman mentioned above.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

[This message has been edited by fractal007 (04-05-2002 10:15 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Purity
since 2001-11-20
Posts 526
Once Upon, USA
1 posted 2002-04-06 11:16 PM

I must say that the complete package that is Disillusionment was most unique...from intro to style, to poetic license, to excellent notes in the end. A one-of-a-kind read, I'd love to see more packages like that! Great, fractal!!!
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2002-04-07 03:49 AM

Thanks for the compliments.  I figured I should start annotating my poems when I post them here.  Either I'm not coming across well, or else I am "going over people's heads" as some have said before.  I believe it's likely the former rather than the latter.

In any case, I am glad you liked this poem.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » Disillusionment

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary