navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » What it feels like to be Old
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic What it feels like to be Old Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MidnightMaverick
since 2001-01-15
Posts 35
Duluth, MN, USA

0 posted 2001-01-22 05:06 PM

What does it feel like to be Old?
Having parts of your body give out one by one, to be reverted back to a child who can barely chew its food or walk.
To have a sharp mind but have a withered body
To have tainted mind and sound body
To have to be stuck in an awful existance
To be Old.
What can we do to prevent this unseemingly inhumane end to creep toward us with a crooked drooling smile
and leathery wrinkled fingers? Why? Why can't we prevent this?!?
Do we have to watch loved ones wither away and becaome nothing and die?
I can't.
I won't.
It MUST be prevented.
I will never be old.

~Dedicated to my grandmother who suffered a massive stroke and now is paralyzed on the left side.~

© Copyright 2001 MidnightMaverick - All Rights Reserved
Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 posted 2001-01-22 06:58 PM

Nice one here. very sad that we all have to go through this slow, painful deterioration of the body before we all die. BLah to that.
Nice poem.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
2 posted 2001-01-23 05:18 AM

Do you know what I think old is? Not the deterioration of a body but more losing the ability to laugh at life and yourself. When you lose that, you grow old instantly. You can talk to 80 year old women who can barely walk and you can ask them if they feel old. The best reponse I ever recieved was "My body may be falling apart and I may not be able to walk properly but as long as my mind keeps feeding me memories of my happiest years, I will always be young."

I think that sums it up perfectly, however I am sorry to hear that about your Grandmother.

~AF~< !signature-->

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Buddha

[This message has been edited by anonymousfemale (edited 01-23-2001).]

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
3 posted 2001-01-24 09:54 AM

I do believe that being old is all in the mind.
I guess when time has passed as so many times, our outlook in life and our priorities in life changes with it too.
I do see a lot of older folks having fun
Driving around together
Maybe, it really isn't that bad
Great post though
great topic to bring up
keep it up

I see no changes, wake up in the morning I ask myself, "Is life worth living or should I blast myself" TUPAC SHAKUR

litle_krazy_poet
since 2001-01-17
Posts 71

4 posted 2001-01-24 06:15 PM

well i like the poem i don't really wnat t ba a baby but if i coud stay the age that i amk now (15) that would be cool. and i'm sorry about your gradmother m ine is in the hospitle right now and that don't know what is rong hope thing get better

somethings need poems and then there are thoes that are just for fun

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » What it feels like to be Old

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary