navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Where to start
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Where to start Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Learner's Permit
since 2001-01-17
Posts 9
Australia

0 posted 2001-01-17 12:13 PM

I am eighteen
truly a teen
sitting here in front of the computer wondering
"How the hell do I write a good poem?"
Where do I start?
Where can I find resources on writing poems?
I know that I can write great stories
even just right after I hopped out of bed
Or be it when I am half asleep
And I want it to be the same for writing poems
Thanks for your help

hahaha   i don't know where in this netpoets.com form i can ask questions like that... hopefully this is the right place.

© Copyright 2001 Khari - All Rights Reserved
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
1 posted 2001-01-17 01:14 PM

not too big a problem, really.
I have the opposite problem you have, so maybe you and I could help one another out?
Good poetry seems to usually work with a form, although not always.  But if you are beginning, then it is best to try the "every line rhymes with the next."  This helps you to search for unusual words and metaphors, believe it or not.
Furthermore, practice.  I write a Senryu every morning, as daily routine.  It's excellent exercise.
Just give it a go, give yourself a restriction and form to use, and let the idea come as you write it out.
This is how I keep myself sharp, anyway.  Give it a try.  Best of luck to you.
-Allan

Jenn Cirrincione
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-02
Posts 2107
Fl
2 posted 2001-01-17 03:16 PM

Allan is right, that is a good way to search out words and metaphors. But I prefer to not rhyme, and just pick out a topic, (that means something to you), and write about it. Free verse, and just rhyme if you'd like to. It's less restrictive that way. Good luck!!

xoxo
Jenn

"A person can never get over a broken heart if they aren't willing to let go of all of the pieces."-- ??

branden726
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-25
Posts 607
Bay City, MI
3 posted 2001-01-17 05:57 PM

hi this is the right place i can tell you that, i really loved this poem and all you need to learn how to write is your HEART follow that and all good poetry comes. great poem.

"i just love when you bring your whole crew because its just a bigger piece of cake for me to chew threw"

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2001-01-17 07:29 PM

I wouldn't know where to start myself pal.....my poems come out of my butt.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2001-01-17 08:21 PM

Hi there Learner's Permit ... great way to ask a question in a poetry forum! I enjoyed that.  

We have some wonderful resources here, so I'll give you a few places to start.

If you'd really like to learn more on types of poems, styles, and actually sit in on a few classes, or just read the archives, Nan has a poetry workshop right here, and she's amazing.  All you have to do is go to the Main Forums, and go down to the section called "Poetry and Prose Workshops" and have a look through the Poetry Workshop. Where it says "show topics from" make sure you select "show all topics" then just have fun. Everyone does!

If you're still looking for some ideas, go back to the Main Forums, and under the "Discussion Forums" section, have a look around the "Poetry Challenge" forum. This is where a lot of poets post ideas, and challenge other members to come up with something based on their idea.

There is also another forum called "Teen Explorer". It's off the main forum under "Poetry and Prose Forums". If you have a poem you'd like some further critique on, help with some ideas, have some questions etc. this is a great place to go.

Hope that helps ... and have fun!

Best wishes,
/Kit

Lakewalker
Member Elite
since 2000-08-05
Posts 3289
On the streets w/ people
6 posted 2001-01-18 08:56 PM

Yup, I'd like to repeat everything Kit said   And you did a good job on that poem up there, so you should do a fine job of fitting in around here.  Please post some poems when you write them

"Disagreements stimulate thought, thought stimulates action, and action stimulates life." --Lakewalker
http://www.thehungersite.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Where to start

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary