navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Musician's Repugnance
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Musician's Repugnance Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elvenblood
since 2001-02-17
Posts 409
Maine, USA

0 posted 2001-03-13 09:11 AM

This is not a song, sorry If I gave that idea. This one is just for those who're sick of the classic rock star story, and the moderators in particular, because I'm the most liberal person they'll ever find :-) Enjoy reading, and email me if you know what this is really about.

Oh the joy of a beautiful song
The brilliant twining of word and sound
It makes the days not so long
And makes the world itself go around

I sit here writing, and singing along
I cannot write lyrics, only these verse
So I content myself to be strong
In my voice and hope to avoid a curse

If this man can make an album
With his cracked voice and no lyrical ground
And it doesn’t happen seldom
Then I can beat that wailing hound

I could be like Elton John, or maybe Journey
Or go out on stage singing like MeatLoaf
And be hauled off after on a gurney
Maybe Zeppelin, or a Punk showoff

I like it all, and can sing even more
The peace it brings me is profound
I do promise though, never to make it a bore
Or at least not until I hit the ground

All musicians plummet at some point
And few have the dignity to get back up
My friend and I will work at the joint
And then we’ll start to crack up

And when we’re 40 with needles always in our arms
And our careers are over. We’ll remember the fun we had;
The business’s many charms
And help ourselves with new age medicine to be very glad :-)

Then they’ll make a show about us
And this poem will be read
And the people will remember the fuss
When I say that the last word is “weed”

"Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not." ~RFK

© Copyright 2001 Bryan W. Holmes - All Rights Reserved
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
1 posted 2001-03-13 09:19 AM

Interesting... indeed. I have ~no~ idea what it's really about. It's A.M., so give me a break.
Perhaps I'll give it another moment of my time later today.
~Allan

If I had your eyes, I'd be blind. For I can only see out of my own. ~~Carly Van Dort

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 posted 2001-03-13 06:39 PM

I liked this.....I thought it rocked. It kinda gave a little generalized history on how it is to be a rockstar burn out.
I liked it but when it comes to delving deeply within the meaning I'm not doing too good.
Share.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Elvenblood
since 2001-02-17
Posts 409
Maine, USA
3 posted 2001-03-13 07:22 PM

Actually there are a BUNCH of drug references in there. The moerators might be mad, but if you two didn't get it, I don't think they'll hae a problem with it. And if they do then they're hypocrites, so there!:-p
Anyway, I make references to 6 drugs in the poem. I personally don't do anything by the way.

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
4 posted 2001-03-13 07:34 PM

Well ~someone~ wants attention.

If I had your eyes, I'd be blind. For I can only see out of my own. ~~Carly Van Dort

Elvenblood
since 2001-02-17
Posts 409
Maine, USA
5 posted 2001-03-13 07:39 PM

Well ~someone~ Mr. Allaneedzaformat likes to oppose authority, but not advocate anarchy. If I just wanted attention, I'd push one of my real poems, this piece of crap (in my eyes anyway) was a whim.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2001-03-24 11:23 PM

hey... didn't forget you. Came back to put this in the library...and? You're in the next newsletter! Thank you my friend! Look for your work under the rock and roll segment of the Musically themed newsletter!

and by the way? "piece of crap?" I didn't think so! Thanks again!

UNC STAR
since 2000-06-19
Posts 67
Hinesville,Ga,USA
7 posted 2001-03-24 11:32 PM

That poem was nice, I like it

What ever happens so let it happen unlees you don't want it to happen.

AngelShell
since 2000-03-01
Posts 446
not heaven nor hell so...
8 posted 2001-03-25 12:31 PM

I think that any one person in this entire organization could only grasp a wisp of the real meaning behind this poem. I myself found myself (repitition I know I know, my English teacher would be furious) sitting here in awe of the language and structure, dazed by the liquid beauty and amazed by the depth of meaning.

On a word, fantastic. In two, fantastic perfection. Not a piece of crap, although I know what you mean, often the poems others find the most enthrawling are ones you can't stand to read more than once, the phrases "what was I thinking" and "how late was it" and "what was I on" come flooding through the mind at a thousand miles per minute. But it was unmistakeably good.

"You know he just lost his father, yeah he jsut lost his wife, and if it wasn't for the music, he couldn't get on with him life, he knows what I know, it's not all that hard to survive, you take the good and the bad, time in between, lets us know, we're alive."
Edwin McCain, a god of music in my eyes.

Any how, please continue with the brilliant poetry, I will be waiting with bated breath for your next masterpiece.

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
9 posted 2001-03-25 01:40 PM

This is a great piece. Kind of hard to understand, but that's what makes it so intriguing. Very nice job here, Evenblood!

--Marie

I never thought that you would ever be the one to let me down. I guess that just goes to show how wrong I always am.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
10 posted 2001-03-25 03:03 PM

It's an interesting piece, with or without the drug references, and even shows some insight. Read from an ironic viewpoint (where yes really means no), it even makes a lot of sense. There is nothing wrong with discussing drugs in poetry when done responsibly. The Guidelines at Passions, rather, don't allow glorification of drugs (or any other activity illegal or harmful to human life). Realistic exploration takes a high level of skill and maturity and is always welcome. On just about every possible topic.

The poem is borderline and there is already some discussion in the Moderator's forum about its merits. But, while the poem is borderline, the attitude expressed in this thread is not. Calling people hypocrites because they don't believe as you do crosses the line. Flaunting the spirit of our philosophies jumps a few feet over the line. And indicating an intention of continuing the practice makes a mockery of the line.

Judging by the author's comments, this poem has little to do with drugs and even less to do with rock bands. Every statement subsequently made talks not about the poem or the subject matter, either of which could be important, but rather about the author himself. The poem, it would seem, is simply a vehicle for showcasing the author's self-proclaimed liberal, self-proclaimed anti-authoritative attitudes.

I have nothing but respect for people who stand up for their convictions, even when I choose to disagree with their conclusions. I have far less respect for people who rebel simply for the sake of rebelling, simply because they think it's a cool thing to do. Those who want to discuss issues will find me willing to listen, and those with compelling arguments will find me receptive to change. But those who oppose authority out of immature impulses will find I have little tolerance and even less patience. There are thousands of sites on the Internet where they can rant all they like, but Passions will never be one of them. We have more important things to do than provide a soapbox for someone's attitude.

The author's posting privileges at Passions are suspended for the next 7 days, not because of the poem but because of the attitude. Those who are vehemently opposed to our Guidelines are always free to leave. No one, however, will be allowed to continuously subvert them. If Elvenblood would like to write me at the end of that period to discuss reinstatement, I will be happy to listen.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Musician's Repugnance

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary