navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » Seeing Past the Skin on my Face
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic Seeing Past the Skin on my Face Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2001-01-20 11:09 AM

Seeing Past the Skin on my Face

Sometimes I can’t see past the skin on my face
My thoughts are drawn inward to a deep haunted place
My eyes are refusing to engrave what they see
Beyond any space past the aura of me

Uninvited events hit my haven of home
Invading my mind, to the marrow of bone
And now I am forced to consume and digest
Unprincipled notions that bring me unrest

Deceit is an enemy equal to none
To tarnish the faith you entrusted someone  
I’m held prisoner of thought in a deep murky pond
By a sorrowful face, which I can’t see beyond

Please leave me alone in the harbor of thought
In solitude’s vacuum where answers are sought
Perhaps in my heart I will learn to forgive
Past the skin on my face I’ll again learn to live

Elizabeth Santos

© Copyright 2001 Elizabeth Santos - All Rights Reserved
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2001-01-20 11:43 AM

I hope you don't mind if I interrupt your thoughts to say this is exquisite my friend ... incredibly well expressed. Forgiveness can indeed be a struggle some days, but what a release when it finally surfaces ... beautiful writing Liz.  

Best wishes and take care,
/Kit

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
2 posted 2001-01-20 12:05 PM

quote:
Deceit is an enemy equal to none
To tarnish the faith you entrusted someone  
I’m held prisoner of thought in a deep murky pond
By a sorrowful face, which I can’t see beyond
Please leave me alone in the harbor of thought
In solitude’s vacuum where answers are sought
Perhaps in my heart I will learn to forgive
Past the skin on my face I’ll again learn to live

this entire piece is wonderful... these last two stanzas hit me especially  hard... you are a fine writer, liz... your meter, rhythm, cadence, structure, theme... all of it... superior work!

and the deceit thing? *sigh*.... how does one go about trusting again? it is something i believe we all have to deal with because human beings aren't perfect and we need to accept that sometimes we will experience being lied to... and you are right... forgiveness is the key.... it ain't easy... (((hugs)))... *sigh*

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
3 posted 2001-01-20 12:12 PM

This is so profoundly superb, Elizabeth.  What a foundation for a sermon.  What a foundation for a self-help book.  Are you will to share this?  Like a copy for me and one for my pastor?

The poem, IMHO, is crafted exquisitely...meter, everything that doreen said, truly!

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2001-01-20 01:40 PM

Kit, I didn't think anyone would like this poem, but for some reason you did. Thanks for your comments

Doreen, Again, I am so surprised you liked this. Decept is very hurtful. And sometimes I get so mad about the way someone offended , that I can't think straight or see straight, so I put the Clorox in the fridge and the milk on the shelf, and find objects in my hand that I don't remember picking up, I'm so deep into the thought and the pain of being violated, a can't remember what I just did or what I'm supposed to do next. Of course this is normal for me, but I'm sure everyone has at one time put the Clorox in the fridge. Anyway , thank you for your generous comments

Vas , thank you and of course you and your pastor may use it. I appreciate your comments
Liz

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2001-01-20 01:46 PM

You've described it to a tee, Elizabeth. It surely can be a struggle. Relax and give yourself the time to heal. It won't happen in a day, maybe not even in a year, completely, but it will come. HUGS

Denise

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

6 posted 2001-01-21 07:36 AM

Sometimes I can’t see past the skin on my face
My thoughts are drawn inward to a deep haunted place
My eyes are refusing to engrave what they see
Beyond any space past the aura of me

Uninvited events hit my haven of home
Invading my mind, to the marrow of bone
And now I am forced to consume and digest
Unprincipled notions that bring me unrest
=====================

why didnt you think anyone would like this?
cuz its on the dark and angry side?
we cant always write rainbows and butterflies..
and I for one like a "dark" write ...
we all have these emotions at one time and they need to be expressed and purged as well.
your cadence and meter are an added bonus.

oh and btw ... the other day ... my daughter found the butter tub in the spice cabinet...
and the sugar bowl in the fridge..
OF COURSE .. I didnt do it  

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought,
I summon up remembrance of things past ...
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought.
~Shakespeare~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2001-01-21 07:44 AM

I'm so very glad my Clorox is down in the basement, because if it ended up in the 'frig...I'd've poured it into a glass...simply from lack of thinking because of my many other thoughts...

ahem...

Lady Santos...very telling write...and why I admire you so! You are in my prayers to look beyond that next hill that is before you...and somehow, somehow, I know you will be graced with the wings to crest and overcome it...

well done!

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited 01-21-2001).]

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2001-01-21 07:47 AM

Denise, I'm back to normal, I just have a day like that once in a while, not often
Thanks for caring

JM, Take the sugar out of the fridge and make me some coffe, and butter me some toast!
Your making me hungry. better get some breakfast to start out this beautiful snowy day.
I'm glad you like the poem
Thanks for your comments
Liz
Liz

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
9 posted 2001-01-21 07:50 AM

Karilea,
Sometimes forgiveness is the hardest thing in the world. With time, I will come to that, I'm sure. Thank you
Liz

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
10 posted 2001-01-21 09:21 AM

Sometimes it's not easy to forgive and to put bygones aside...but there is no greater gift that you could give someone than the gift of your forgiveness  

~ Ruth
www.angelfire.com/pa/OriginalMinds/index.html

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
11 posted 2001-01-25 01:40 PM

How could anyone not like this? The rhymes, the format, the flow... they're perfect. And no matter how much we wish you weren't having to deal with this, the anger and pain are something we can all identify with. Superb poem... and LOL at misplaced items... I'm glad I'm not alone! *G*
Wilfred Yeats
Member Elite
since 2000-08-04
Posts 2704
Wilmington, Delaware
12 posted 2001-01-25 01:51 PM

Remember only you can allow yourself to be violated - the sin belongs to the deceiver
That said - this poem is beautifully crafted - and forgive preacher Bill if you can

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

13 posted 2001-01-25 04:54 PM

I had to read this and print it out.  The flow of course, is excellent but the message gives a new perspective.  Something in us humans I believe clings to hope.  Maybe that is so we continue to live.  

Kathleen

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
14 posted 2001-01-25 05:13 PM

I am still trying to get past the mastery of this poem and then I read one of your replies that you didn't think anyone would like this one.  I am stunned.  This was done so superbly and in the fashion of which all of your poems are.  The technical sides of it are of course perfect but the emotions are very deafening.  You pen your heart out in this one and it shows with the same power as do all of your other works.  I bow to your excellence once again.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » Seeing Past the Skin on my Face

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary