navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » My Many Sides
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Many Sides Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnight Dew
since 2001-01-07
Posts 50
Forest Lake, MN

0 posted 2001-01-15 09:41 PM

I move through life, unfettered.
People trust me.
People want me.
People search for me.
Sometimes in vain.
Sometimes with success.
I enjoy teasing them.
I glory in testing them.
I love proving myself unjust.
And, every once in a while,
Rewarding random people.
No reason.
No cause.
Just roll the dice and
BOOM!
That person gets it!
Sometimes it’s the people
Who work hard all their lives
Who sacrifice all they have
For me.
Other times it’s those
Who ignore me
Refuse me
Deny my existence.
Either way,
It’s all the same to me.
It amuses me to watch people
Describe me,
Tell of me.
Some do it with tenderness
Others with bitter resentment.
I deserve both.
I do make life beautiful
For some.
Others, I stampede over their lives,
Snatching away
Their family,
Their friends,
Their passions,
Until all they have
Is focused on me.
Then I screw them over.
And they have nothing.
To some I give rewards,
To others casualties.
Rewards beyond your wildest dreams,
Wealth
Happiness
Sex.
Devastating casualties
Friendship
The good old days.
I move in different ways
I can sneak in subtly,
So you don’t know I’m here.
I can hit like lightning,
Striking suddenly.
I can flit through
Touching this person here,
That person there.
I can dangle just out of reach,
Torturing those who reach for me.
Either way,
It’s all the same to me.
One way
Is to consume the mind of one.
Turn him from everything else.
Make him forget
His family
His friends
His passions.
These things are destroyed
In my wake.
And he needs stay with me
Or suffer through life,
Alone.
And the opposite of that.
I start as a stranger,
Proceed through the stages,
Until I am a part of him.
Not everything,
But not nothing.
This is the ideal.
But you cannot choose.
I do what I wish.
I am unpredictable.
Unorderable.
Still
With all these risks,
I am present
I am wanted.
People long for me
And I do come to them,
As they wait.
What about you?
Will you call?
Will you wait?
Will I come?

This is kind of unpolished.  I'm interested to hear any suggestions anyone might have to fix it up.  Thanks for reading!!

~Caitlin Hull~

"The Holy Spirit makes up all our souls, and when it 'flexes' it makes us do great things."
Like write!

© Copyright 2001 Caitlin Hull - All Rights Reserved
Meiglan
since 2001-01-15
Posts 3

1 posted 2001-01-15 10:03 PM

MD~  An interesting poem.  People do have many sides.  I simply have one question for you.  Are you truly proud of toying with others lives, hearts, and minds?  I can say from the standpoint of someone being used like that, that it tears them apart for a really long time.  I wouldn't be proud of it at all.. in fact, I'd be appauled.  But it's your life.  Take into consideration the others that you choose to toy with.. it may catch up with you someday.  
Midnight Dew
since 2001-01-07
Posts 50
Forest Lake, MN
2 posted 2001-01-16 07:50 AM

Meiglan-
I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.  I was actually writing from the viewpoint of something else.  It was probably just because I wrote it. but I thought it was fairly easy to figure out.  Now I'm wondering, can anyone else figure out what I was writing about?  Sorry again Meiglan, and I understand, because I am used to being used as well.  I understand why you could be offended by this.  Thanks for reading anyway!

~Caitlin Hull~

"The Holy Spirit makes up all our souls, and when it 'flexes' it makes us do great things."
Like write!

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
3 posted 2001-01-16 10:16 PM

Ohh..I LOVE this. I don't take it so literally though. I guess what I'm saying is that I realize it isn't about yourself, and realized it before reading your response to that outburst above.  This poem could be about love or a lot of other things or goals in people's lives. Once again..I LOVE it!   It just has to be on top where people can see it.
BUMPING YOU UP!  

Maverick Wolf
since 1999-11-13
Posts 94
Scandia, MN
4 posted 2001-01-16 11:48 PM

I'm bettin' on love.  It makes enough sense.  You may think it's unpolished, but I think it works in the way that it is.  I think the style fits the tone.  That's my ideas on it.  Great job.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why they call it the present.

&dispose
since 2000-01-30
Posts 18

5 posted 2001-01-17 05:46 PM

First off, anyone who is offended by this are totally incapable of self evaluation and arrogant enough to believe otherwise.
Anyways, very interesting poem, drags out properties from all corners (including "forgotten" ones) of human nature.  Everyone plays this game with their own life, it just depends on how, why and where.  Excellent job.

"Ask the sheep, for their beliefs.
Do you kill on God's command?"
          - Megadeth, Holy Wars...

[This message has been edited by dsnyder (edited 01-18-2001).]

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2001-01-18 09:09 PM

I think it could be about drugs and how they can mess with you.......there are so many ways to read this........I thought it was very creative   -SEA
Midnight Dew
since 2001-01-07
Posts 50
Forest Lake, MN
7 posted 2001-01-18 10:23 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for posting.  I just thought I'd say that I originally wrote this poem about love.  When I finished I realized it could be applied to a lot of things.  So thanks for your ideas, and I really appreciate your positive comments!!!

~Caitlin Hull~

Like write!

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
8 posted 2001-01-19 03:44 AM

My first interpretation was it being about either love or just plain wealth and then by the time I got to the end of it I was leaning towards the fact that it could be any number of things and would just have a special meaning to all that read it as we all have a secret yearning for something in our life that escapes us and we all have a weakness that we sometimes find hard to control and feel that it sometimes controls us.  Either way, I truely enjoyed it and it is one of the best reads I have found in here tonight and there have been some wonderful ones as there always is.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
9 posted 2001-01-19 09:45 AM

sounds evil, insane, like it could be the actual thoughts of a multiple personality paranoid schizophrenic, badly in need of medication to regulate grandoise ideas & hallucinations of mind control over people....it reminded me of Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" for some reason, and the scene where Jack Nicholson is standing outside of the room with the REAL crazies, ready to get his first shock treatment and realizes how he's trapped and can't get out and stuck in an institute with people who have totally lost their sense of reality... this borders on terror....

well, you asked, right? LOL! whatever you meant it mean, i don't know, but true Love doesn't do all those things, does it? at any rate, it certainly took my mind on a trip

thanks for the read.

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
10 posted 2001-01-20 09:25 AM

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
11 posted 2001-01-20 02:34 PM

I don't know...this reminds me of a woman I hung out with not so long ago...it was so much fun for a while yet sad when I lost her smile...James
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

12 posted 2001-01-20 02:42 PM

well, I didn't try to analyze it really, I just read along with it and felt whatever it was it was certainly out of control!

Kathleen

Mr.Magoo
since 2001-01-20
Posts 104

13 posted 2001-01-20 05:53 PM

I think you have givin many including myself alot to think about.
I first thought this was about love?Then gambeling?Then drugs?
I feel your writing could describe many things that we deal with during our good and bad times.
Nice job.

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
14 posted 2001-01-20 06:12 PM

Upon first reading this, I agreed wholeheartedly with Meiglen.  It seemed cold hearted and callous, and being party to such knowledge as I am(which I am not at liberty to disclose), I can deffinitely see why they reacted in such a way as they did, and having that knowledge, Im not going to dissagree with them.  However, upon reading what the others wrote and thinking about it, I see what they are saying.  Creatively, I like it.  Content wise, well....
Midnight Dew
since 2001-01-07
Posts 50
Forest Lake, MN
15 posted 2001-01-20 11:32 PM

Again, I'm sorry if I offended, I was feeling a little melancholy thinking about the many facets of love, and then I read something in a book that made me really think about this.  I was just trying to explore all the possibilities.  Then I read over what I wrote and realized that it could apply to any number of addictive things (yes, I do believe love is addictive).  I didn't realize that it would offend or cause quite this much of a stir.  I was just trying to get different viewpoints.  Thank everyone for your great comments and sorry to anyone who was affected negatively by this.

~Caitlin Hull~

Like write!

Secret Whisper
since 2001-01-25
Posts 298
Through the Looking Glass
16 posted 2001-01-26 10:51 AM

I don't mean to sound offensive but... you come across a little conceited. Just a thought. I don't mean to be critical. It is wonderful.

[This message has been edited by Secret Whisper (edited 01-26-2001).]

Secret Whisper
since 2001-01-25
Posts 298
Through the Looking Glass
17 posted 2001-01-26 10:51 AM

Don't listen to anyone who is "offended" by this beautiful writing. I think I can understand what you are trying to convey through this poem and I know that you are not meaning to be satan's tool.

~Alison~

"Close your eyes, and you'll see."

Meiglan
since 2001-01-15
Posts 3

18 posted 2001-01-26 11:41 PM

Judge me not by how I interpret a piece.  we're all entitled to our interpretation.  I can see how you all do, so why not let me to mine?  Circumstances made me thing what I did... so judge me not for what has happened or what I think.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » My Many Sides

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary