navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » One Drunk Night After The Other
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic One Drunk Night After The Other Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ladycat
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-05
Posts 782
At the edge and a doorway,TX

0 posted 2001-02-16 01:29 AM

I drink myself into a drunken state
As the world floats off without me
I rub elbows with the Queen of Hearts
While tears start to stream down my face
Always wearing my heart on my sleeve
Just waiting to get hurt
Taking another drink
Ever pain seems better than the last
I'm living my life without you
Today I held back from picking up the phone and calling you
Just to tell you how I felt
I'm sure that you are tired of hearing by now though
Taking another drink
I take a walk through my head to find out why I have to feel this way
When is it my turn to just be loved
Hold me and tell me that my crying is not going to last forever
Oh, you aren't here
You won't be here for a long time
Days on days of waiting
Taking another drink
My heart hurts
It bleeds for you
Tonight the drinking must stop
I go to take another drink
Put the glass down and walk away
I think that this time I'm going to just pick up the phone and call you

Love,
Lady

Live in my world just once and you'll find yourself enraptured.

© Copyright 2001 Vynette M. Charles-Brooks - All Rights Reserved
VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
1 posted 2001-02-16 02:21 AM

You're probably not in the mood for this considering the sense of your poem...but when I saw the title, I instantly thought of writing one called:

One Drunk Knight After Another

I just may get mischievous enough to do it, too. ;o}

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
2 posted 2001-02-16 03:54 AM

Lady, this is so sad. I hope it's your imagination, if not love to you and hope things work out soon.
Dee

I wish you every happiness and pray you'll always have the best of the good things in life. a brand

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
3 posted 2001-02-16 05:40 AM

walk away from the drink..call and at least get an answer of some sorts..then move ahead.....but don't go back to the drink..thoughts can make one drunk enough...huggzzzzzz

~Wynter

"The worst prison would be a closed heart".
...Pope John Paul II

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
4 posted 2001-02-16 05:44 AM

Abstain is the only answer but it's not that hard to achieve...the acetaldehyde toxins affect your genetic structure and you have to realize what is happening physically in order to combat the difference in thinking that is experienced by the habitual drinker compared with the ordinary non addicted drinker...I have a few thousand more things I could say about this......take care

The poet is like a cocoon; in him the caterpillar of the past finds rest, and from him the butterfly of the future emerges.

Ladycat
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-05
Posts 782
At the edge and a doorway,TX
5 posted 2001-02-16 06:10 AM

I wrote this piece after one drunk night. It was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. I had to step back and take a look at myself and the loneliness that I was feeling. Noone has hurt me, so I'm not heartbroken, but I'm heartsick, because I'm in a situation that I was before as far as long distance relationship thing. I hate it and I hope to see him again soon.

VAS- Actually, I am in the mood for something uplifting in spirit. I think that read One Drunk Knight would be wonderful and that is my challenge to you. Please let me know when you write it.

Dee- It is not my imagination. It is my life. I was just really lonely and really hurting and the only thing that I did was drink to forget it and later I was sober and understanding it. It didn't take the pain away, it was just a time reliever.

nakdthoughts-I understand I will do that. As a matter of fact I will do that right now. Or if I don't get an answer then I will email.

ethome- Please don't hesistate to email and exaggerate about what you started to say. I think that all the emotional support that I get the better. That is why I love my Netpoets so much.

Distance makes the heart grow stronger they say.

Thank you all for reading.

Live in my world just once and you'll find yourself enraptured.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
6 posted 2001-02-16 11:15 AM

I just want to say I am in awe of your courage to state what you have in the open..and I know Ethome is a good source of help...I, myself rarely drink...I am high on life when it allows me to be, but I have been and am still entangled with a husband who does, and once you get enough into your system, Ladycat, it will take over your every waking thought..so please...do it for yourself because no one else can, and the fact that you wrote about it proves you care about yourself..many many huggssss to you.

~Wynter/Maureen

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2001-02-16 02:14 PM

My heart is with you. And? may we both find strength through courage. Sometimes? I think that my image of hell? is an infinite raucous party and you go there? HUNGOVER. One for my library. Thank you.
JLR
since 2001-02-04
Posts 1785

8 posted 2001-02-16 06:26 PM

Feel free to email me. I, like ethome, could go on for days (about the long distance thing too). This was quite intense.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
9 posted 2001-02-16 06:58 PM

love this line...

"I take a walk through my head"

yeah, call him. why not? life is short... but do it before you start drinking... trust me on this one... lol

oh, and the poem is the type of poetry which i like to read because it seems so honest and sincere and about real life.....nice job.

[This message has been edited by doreen peri (edited 02-16-2001).]

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

10 posted 2001-02-16 08:51 PM

very honest and real, I don't drink anymore, but I sure could use something right about now,.....enjoyed this!

"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass,
and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » One Drunk Night After The Other

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary