navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » The Joy's of Life
Open Poetry #11
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Joy's of Life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wishmaster
since 2000-12-03
Posts 24
Luton, Bedfordshire, England

0 posted 2000-12-03 08:20 AM

~ The Joys of Life ~
by Wishmaster. 2000
(revised 18th Nov.)

What joy of life do I bring thee,
When you and I cannot see,
And in the dark we wrest our sake,
And wonder at the loss we make.

And come the cold light of dawn,
When fortunes that are lost are born,
We wander through the wilderness,
And marvel at the sacred bless.

But still we turn and chance our fate,
And love those that we wish to hate,
For they have done what we wish more,
That hardened hearts have not the chore.

And so begins the unfaithless task,
To ask of those that cannot ask,
To delve once more into the chest,
And bring forth bounty they don't possess.

Lose not, fear not, ye young soul,
I do not fear this deep a hole,
That smothers me when I need sleep,
And counters me among the meek.

I have salvation, at my right hand,
The sacrifice, that was planned,
I reap rewards that I now see,
Were honestly, goodly, meant for me.

Take heart young friend and worldly wise,
You will begin to use those eyes,
That were never meant to ask of thee,
That which you now ask of me.

Into the breach we go again,
We take the hurt and we feel the pain,
Until we know that we feel the thrill,
That is life's most, sweetest pill.

In explanation...
I have a portfolio of shares and stocks and I used to track them through a website that had forums where other investors could ask questions regarding their own stocks and shares.... the point being, that when shares slide many investors get jittery and start jumping to all kinds of conclusions - all wrong! - I might add - and their nervousness causes the share price to drop further, like a catalyst.
After just such a day, I felt the urgency to write this poem to try and calm things down a bit, (the board was quiet for a while afterwards, so maybe it worked!).

There is an element of personal experience in there as my own stocks had suffered along with everyone else's but this was an attempt to calm things down and so stabilise the price of my own shares.

The poem itself took 20 minutes to write and review, but the experience in financial markets that was needed to write it has taken me years to gather. This was my very first poem some 7 months ago.

The poem looks at the business of the buying and selling of stock from an educational perspective, encouragement of counter vigilance of one's emotions to novice investors is attempted in the poem to produce the stabilising effect that all stock prices need to make it's investors profitable. The last stanza reflects that, over time, all shares will eventually produce a good return, so long as the company doesn't fail completely.

Wishmaster.

< !signature-->

~ You cannot be what you want to be if you do not know who you are ~

© Copyright 2000 Christopher L Blanchett - All Rights Reserved
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
1 posted 2000-12-03 08:36 AM

Poetry can come from anything.. I wouldn't have percieved that from reading it but the explanation sure helps...and poetry sure can be a calming blanket to throw over a dismal time.....welcome again to Passions..ethome
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2000-12-03 08:41 AM

Amazing the walks of life that poetry captures...for whatever reason you wrote this, know that it will please many...and I hope that you will come to write many more...for I think I see a poet's quill lurking in your portfolio...

Welcome to Passions...check your e-mail for a special Welcome.

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

raleighbttrfly
since 2000-11-21
Posts 160
Raleigh NC
3 posted 2000-12-03 08:57 AM

stocks and poetry are not usaly found together, but it worked vary well here.
i truly enjoyed this pome, and the explenation.

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
4 posted 2000-12-03 09:36 AM

what ever the reason might be, this  one is penned from the heart and I loved reading it.

Welcome to passions, hope to see more from your hand.
Charisma

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2000-12-03 09:47 AM

Welcome to the family. A truly amazing poem and in reading it I never thought once of stocks! It relates well to life in general. Excellent! I look forward to reading more from you.  
Wishmaster
since 2000-12-03
Posts 24
Luton, Bedfordshire, England
6 posted 2000-12-03 02:12 PM

WOW - this forum moves fast, I had to look to the bottom of page 2 to find this.

Thank you for all the kind responses to my poem, this is a very loving place, and I have been made ot feel very welcome here.
As a poetry forum owner myself, I know how important it is to make people feel welcome especially since they have taken time out to come and visit you.

Wishmaster.

~ You cannot be what you want to be if you do not know who you are ~

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2000-12-03 02:53 PM

Actually, this is my second visit... I got sidetracked.. not an uncommon thing around here... I enjoyed this immensely... and envisioned the rhythmical humming of Wall Street... in retrospect, of course... Welcome to Passions.. This is indeed a wonderful place... and its velocity is superceded only by Wall Street, I'm sure... Check your email for a special greeting....
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
8 posted 2000-12-03 03:14 PM

I didn't know this was about stocks until I read your explanation...maybe I should print this out because many of my stocks have gone down in the past few months...however I am buying while the prices are low and I lean towards Buffet's feelings on the stock market...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » The Joy's of Life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary