navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » The Other Side Of Life
Open Poetry #11
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Other Side Of Life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA

0 posted 2000-11-25 09:52 PM

When you spend time with friends
Do you ever stop and think
That out there, somewhere
Someone’s life is lost in a blink?

For every cheer, there is a tear
Shed for one who’s died
Life took its toll on one more soul
Who lived on the Other Side

One without a name felt the shame
And chose to take his life
And when he dies, none shall cry
It was he who grabbed that knife

And all of those who have been chose
To live their happy lives
Cannot any more, just ignore
The Other’s piteous cries

For what is light, without the night
That exists on the Other Side
So if you dare, to look Over There
Catch a glance of the ones denied

Those are the ones, the beaten sons
Who didn’t even put up a fight
He just guards, now he’s scarred
Who cares what’s wrong or right

Or that one there, with blankest stare
He’s lost all will to live
Life’s gone wrong, he doesn’t belong
He has no more to give

There are many others, which life just smothers
And in the shadows they do hide
Wanting life, getting strife
Existing only on the Other Side

© Copyright 2000 Travis Welton - All Rights Reserved
Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
1 posted 2000-11-25 09:59 PM

Oh my gosh, this is a poem that had to be written. Its message needs to be heeded by us all. Are we willing to look at ourselves in the mirrow and look on the other side with our eyes open to the realities so many suffer? Bravo!!! You wrote this with power and a message that touches the heart of your reader. Thank you so much for sharing.

Love I leave with you my friend whether it be in your life or of yet the essense of your dreams. [URL=http://path2riches.com]http://path2riches.com

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
2 posted 2000-11-25 10:19 PM

Thank you, that is very kind, but all I did was write what I feel. I see too many people in the world so busy with their happy little lives that they fail to see that life doesnt always work out that way for everyone, or worse yet, those who ignore the suffering of others, not wanting anything to disrupt their happy little routine.

I dunno, maybe I'm just bitter  

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2000-11-26 03:47 AM

Travis, it's good to read you again..you've been missed....

This is very harsh and as you said, bitter. I know life can be like this, but would like to hope it's not always this way.  

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
4 posted 2000-11-26 01:13 PM

It's good to be missed I guess, but I don't think I will be sticking around much, I have some major studying I need to do for College, and a few other things to deal with.

I would also hope life is not always this way, but out there, somewhere, it is. There have always been and will always be people out there who just cant bother to care about what others have to go through, and at times I just can't stand it. Sometimes you gotta ask yourself what's worse, a person commiting a horrible act, or many others standing idly by and letting it happen?

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2000-11-26 01:39 PM

Hi Travis, nice to see you again! Yes, life is both good and bad all the time. There are some who never give a thought to the sufferings of others. All we can do is make sure that we aren't among the ones who don't care. We can't change the world, unfortunately, but we can change ourselves. Don't let the lack of care on the part of some get you down. That can only lead to depression and despair. Nurture your tender and loving heart and do what you can to make this world a better place! But don't take on the whole world, we usually help others best one person at a time! Good luck with your studies, too!  

Denise

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » The Other Side Of Life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary