navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » dear diary(a journal for today)
Open Poetry #11
Post A Reply Post New Topic dear diary(a journal for today) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2000-12-13 11:35 AM

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

like him,
i am weak and powerless
to prevent my fall

And try as they might,
all the king's horses and men
couldnt put Humpty Dumpty
back together again

i wonder though
if humpty dumpty wanted
to be whole again

i know i dont

funny how a click of the mouse
hurls you into such bottomless dispair
funny how your mediocre grades
remind you of what you are worth
funny how people criticise the line
"i feel like dying" as drivel
when its truly how you feel
funny how i manage to smile,
sparkling eyes and not-so-white teeth and all,
when im having a diarrhoea of tears inside

i say life is like scooping icecream
no matter how earnestly you try
to make your scoops round,
your superior will just nag
and your scoops just stay crooked

im dying
please dont dismiss my words
for saying so

© Copyright 2000 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2000-12-13 11:52 AM

Honey, I am so sorry you are feeling like this......I don't know what to say........I used to think my grades reflected who I was.....that would have made me a complete failure (no kidding) the grade does NOT reflect who you are......that is just not right........there is so much more to who you are.......don't let this keep you down.....all you can do is your very best and that is all anyone should ask of you.....our school system is a mess, that's why I home school my kids.......don't let them put you into their pre-set catagories....know you are better than that!!!   -SEA
Dennis L. White
since 2000-02-17
Posts 1463
Michigan, U.S.A.
2 posted 2000-12-13 12:12 PM

Kaile,
  Your friends are hurting with you, when you hurt, you are not alone. We will not dismiss your feelings as unimportant or trivial. We have all been dissappointed at various times in our lives and some times we choose to suffer alone. We also reach out to others for help and consolation. My hope for you is that you are able to talk to a trusted friend near or far, and work through the issues that trouble you that you may find peace and resolution. My mailbox is always open!
Dennis

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
3 posted 2000-12-13 01:03 PM

kaile, my friend. . . you are indeed special, you are who you are. . . grades don't describe you. . . your words, and your heart. . . that is who you are. . . and we know it. . . and we're here for you. . .

writing helps, and this is no exception. . .

-----------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
4 posted 2000-12-13 06:25 PM

Kaile - I am so sorry that you are unhappy with your grades!  I know how much self-esteem can be bound up in things like that.  I think sometimes people dismiss real feelings because they don't know how to make things better, so they just try to believe that it's not so bad.  Nevertheless, I find when I am down about something like this, it helps to examine the negative thoughts for truth.  There is almost always some falsehood in those thoughts that pull you down.  As already pointed out here, for instance, mediocre grades do not make you a worthless person.  When you can see the lies you are feeding yourself, then you can re-frame the thoughts.  Not "I'm worthless because my grades weren't good enough", but "I did not do as well as I wanted to.  What can I do to make it better next time?"  There can be all sorts of answers to that question, and only you can choose the best one.  Hope it's better for you soon.  hugs

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
5 posted 2000-12-14 01:13 AM

firstly, thanx for your concern and yup, im feeling better today..nothing like a good night's sleep to make me feel better

i agree and i know that grades do not make a person but i still fall to this fallacy..how can i not think this way when I AM a student, and my progress during the past year is summed up within those grades...

i too realise the importance of re-framing, kcsgrandma...and in all fairness, i didnt do THAT bad, i just didnt do well enough...but again, all my peers are scoring As and my B average pale so much in comparsion..i guess we shouldnt compare ourselves to others but how not to?...sigh

i realise though that its no use dwelling on the past and that in order to make amends, i will just do better the next semester...

thanx for listening and for your warm words...thanx for letting me vent my anger...in fact, this poem came while i was working yesterday and this web of darkness just closed in upon me..and i felt so lost and yet i had to deal with customers, smiles and all...

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
6 posted 2000-12-14 01:31 AM

Extremely well woven of those times.  Just remember, ice cream though mishapen, is just as ever so sweet to the taste.  And a rose by any other names would smell just as sweet.  If any other part of your life goes as well as your poetry, someone's going to notice that, too!
Panne
since 2001-01-31
Posts 15
South TX, USA
7 posted 2001-01-31 02:48 PM

Hi Kai Le,
Surprise!  Told you I'd stop by soon.   Just want to say I liked this and the ending was courageous and heartfelt. I would uncap all the caps to emphasis the despair of this piece and add punctuation and a few more line breaks to do the same. Look forward to seeing your rewrites. Smiles, Panne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » dear diary(a journal for today)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary