navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » What You Pray For
Open Poetry #7
Post A Reply Post New Topic What You Pray For Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2000-05-09 09:35 PM

WHAT YOU PRAY FOR

"Be careful what you pray for,"
Someone once said to me.
I guess I should have listened,
Or let well enough be.

But I asked God to let me
See myself through your eyes.
Hoping I could fix my faults,
Not find out all these lies.

But here they lay before me,
There's no denying now.
By Divine intervention,
I'm still not quite sure how...

But it's tearing me inside,
And ripping me in two.
How could I have been so blind
Not to see the real you?

Now, once again, I'm kneeling,
Though more careful in prayer.
"God, please just let me forget
That she was ever there."

"Close my eyes forever,
If that's what it will take.
Please just tell me when will I
Atone for this mistake?"

"Make me so unforgiving
That my heart turns to stone,
That none would care if I lived,
Or chose to die alone."

It still throws me how I wished
My every dream upon
Someone who ne'er let me know
‘Twas me the joke was on.

But even in this silence,
I can "see" your laughter.
And the rolling of your eyes,
Shall haunt me ever after.

Can't live with this but I know
I never will forget.
Yeah, careful what you pray for,
That's just what you might get...

Michael Anderson

< !signature-->

For all behind was dark and drear,
And all before was night and fear.
How many hours of night or day
In those suspended pangs I lay,
I could not tell; I scarcely knew
If this were human breath I drew.

Lord Byron

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 05-09-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Kellsue
since 2000-05-06
Posts 210
Waukesha, WI USA
1 posted 2000-05-09 09:45 PM

You've displayed so much feeling in this poem..showing what it's like seeing yourself through someone elses eyes, and realizing that what they see isn't genuine at all...does that make sense?  Regardless, a very very good poem.  I look forward to reading more of your work!

~Kellsue

Reflect upon your present blessings-of which every man has many-not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. ~Charles Dickens

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. ~Winston Churchill

Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
2 posted 2000-05-09 10:00 PM

Another well done piece ... can't help but feel your emotions flowing in this one
Who was it that said? ... 'nice guys finish last' ... and in whos' book is it written
... in ink ...?

Rex}>{{{{o>

Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
3 posted 2000-05-09 10:13 PM

Michael* I loved the way this was written, but the message is very pain filled.  I've prayed many of those same prayers and agree....be very careful...there's alot to be said for the unanswered prayer. Written from your heart the only way.  Thank you for sharing this piece.

Hold me for yesterday
Kiss me for tomorrow
But love me for today.

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
4 posted 2000-05-09 10:20 PM

It's true it happened to me too!
*hugs*
Great poem
~H

Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC
5 posted 2000-05-09 10:35 PM

Michael--

m'friend...what raw and deep emotion you've portrayed in this one. my heart truly goes out to you {{{hug}}}... i think we've all been in this situation at one time or another...though you express it more beautifully then some.

take care,
amy  

~Live today as though it were your last but prepare for tomorrow as though it were here~

WhiteNite
since 2000-04-09
Posts 241
Montgomery, AL
6 posted 2000-05-09 10:38 PM

Very Cool poem Michael.  I enjoyed this one.

"Don't let your character get camoflaged with your environment.
Find who you are and let it stay in its true colors." --Rachel Joy Scott

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

7 posted 2000-05-09 10:46 PM

Micheal, this is a great poem, and so true. Sometimes we get what we prayed for, but it isn't what we thought it would be.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
8 posted 2000-05-09 11:21 PM

Micheal,
I don't think I want to know the pain that inspired this. Very vivid description of being stabbed in the back by someone whom is supposed to love you.
Hope you feel better m'friend.

All my love,
Jeffrey

I lie awake in a world filled with dreams,
but dreams can be so real when you don't know you're asleep

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
9 posted 2000-05-09 11:32 PM

Michael~ Oh yes, this hurts..... you are so talented.....you find a way to make the pain you feel be felt by those that read your words. Your poems never fail to touch my heart.-SEA
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
10 posted 2000-05-09 11:35 PM

Michael *sniffles* ya tore my heart out!
This is heartwrenching.
It may not always be a bad thing to look inside, you're not so bad ya know. I know you're not! You stay in my prayers *hugs*

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

11 posted 2000-05-09 11:54 PM

But I asked God to let me
See myself through your eyes.
Hoping I could fix my faults,
Not find out all these lies.
-------------
But it's tearing me inside,
And ripping me in two.
How could I have been so blind
Not to see the real you?
-------------
Close my eyes forever,
If that's what it will take.
Please just tell me when will I
Atone for this mistake?"

"Make me so unforgiving
That my heart turns to stone,
That none would care if I lived,
Or chose to die alone."
-------------

well,you know Im having a real hard time with that verse up above...
and though I was real tempted to try to reply poetically to the emotions this one evokes in me... Im gonna spare ya...
I know nothings gonna help this hurt but time and you venting it out in your poetry...
this one stings with your anguish ...
I feel ya in every line.
feel better M, please.
jm

It's amazing
How you make your face just like a wall
How you take your heart and turn it off
How I turn my head and you lose it all ...
And it's unnerving
How one move just puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell ...
I'm not sayin
That there was nothing wrong
I just didn't think you'd ever get tired of me
And I'm not sayin
We ever had the right to hold on
I just didn't wanna let you get away from me.
~MB20~Leave

Rosebud1229
since 2000-04-05
Posts 1813
North Carolina
12 posted 2000-05-10 12:32 PM

Michael very nice poem, its very true how sometimes we are blinded by love , but true love is also know someone from the inside out. Not just from the outside in. When you can do this you know beyond a doubt. Sometimes we are thrown for a loop I think we have all been through this.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
13 posted 2000-05-10 12:04 PM

Kellsue, Well I'm not syre if you read this as was intended but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Rex it's not written in, just in hearts...

BDC, Indeed, much can be said for the unanswered prayer.  Even still, I do believe all things happen for a reason.

X-Angel, 'tis only too true.

Amy, ((Hugs)) to you to dear, TY

WhiteNite, I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

LoveBug, nothing at all what we were hoping for.

Jeffrey, You nailed it on the head, (betrayal of the worst kind) and I doubt anyone wants to know how this feels.

SEA, quite a compliment, every poets lives to touch the heart of the reader.   TY

Rebecca, hugs to you too...thanx for the prayers.

Janet, I somehow don't think time will even touch this one...

Rosebud1229, Alas, you make some very good points...  I don't know that I agree with them all but I shall ponder them.

Thank you all for the kind replies,

Michael

RSEvans
since 1999-10-23
Posts 1147
Tulsa, OK, USA
14 posted 2000-05-10 12:23 PM

You've caught me in the middle here mainly because I'm not sure what this one is about, so I will not comment in reference to that which I know and just rely on the poem to tell it.  This has a lot of raw anger and unresolved feelings in it and I can only pray that your relationship with God will help to calm those feelings.  An old preacher once told me that anger and disillusion come from pride.  Perhaps there is a lesson there, perhaps not...E-mail me if you feel the need.
Rob

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
15 posted 2000-05-10 12:34 PM

Becareful what you wish for
For you might receive your due
Living with a heart of stone
Is really not for you

You have a warm and tender side
That must begin to grow
You have such sweet emotions
That you've not begun to know

You have so much that's wonderful
You have so much to give
Pray now for the insight
For where that love can live

Another wonderfully written piece Michael. I too have been knocked down more times then I can count and darkness does surround me. There has to be something better, something brighter, somthing wonderful out there waiting for us. What we need to do is learn how to see it clearly when it is there. We need to be able to see through the guise of ones untrue. We need to pray for the insight to find where true love lives. (maybe I am trying to convince myself with these words??)

[This message has been edited by Marilyn (edited 05-10-2000).]

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
16 posted 2000-05-11 09:45 AM

Robert, there's nothing disillusional when the words of she, (the love of your life), sit right before you, mocking you for your love for her, professing to have wanted someone else the "entire" time she was with you, worse than that, wanting your best friend.  I am not sure you'd really care to see an email from me at this point, Robert, but i appreciate the offer.

Marilyn, I don't know if you convinced yourself but you halfway convinced me...LOL  Thanks for the pep.

Thank you for the kind replies.

Michael

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
17 posted 2000-05-11 10:39 AM

Michael...I'm sorry you had to endure the pain this poem speaks so clearly of...but sometimes instead of what we pray for we are given what God feels is best for us, not always an easy thing to understand sometimes. I've come to believe that He never presents us with a challange or a crisis that He does not feel that we are able to handle and also that everything that happens to us happens for a reason. I know you have been through some very rough times in your life Michael, but keep the faith that there are better days in your future and that one day you will be able to look back on all of this and leave it exactly where it belongs..in the past.
Hugs  
Ruth

REBECCA ALLYN
since 2000-05-09
Posts 91
Lima,Ohio
18 posted 2000-05-11 10:44 AM

There never was a more true statement!!!
I really like your work!!!

LOTS of LUV,
Becky

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

19 posted 2000-05-11 11:12 AM

My heart goes out to you in your pain, Michael. I guess the best prayer any of us can ever pray is to see ourselves and others as He sees them. And hand in hand with that I believe, is seeing the dark and the light of any situation. We see ourselves as sinners, of course, but also as His children when we accept His forgiveness, so freely given. Without that, which one of us could stand to see the 'truth'. But you know all that already. Sometimes it's just really hard to 'see' it, especially when we are in such pain. Most of my pain comes from an unforgiving heart, which I am desperately praying to be rid of. So many big and little hurts pile up and I get lost in the maze of seeing how I was done wrong by some people in my life. I guess I am slowly coming to realize the futility of it all. There is no life in it at all, and by His grace I will be free from it.......and soon....I feel I am coming close, at last. I will keep you in my prayers for your healing from this pain and ask that you also keep me in your prayers. I think praying is the best gift any of us can give each other!

Love ya,
Denise

[This message has been edited by dsnyder (edited 05-11-2000).]

aurora
since 2000-05-10
Posts 9

20 posted 2000-05-11 11:42 AM

Michael,
You have a beautiful way with words. This poem touched my heart in so many ways! I could feel your pain as if it was my own, Excellent work!
Sincerely,
Aurora

Rose Red
since 2000-02-29
Posts 10
scotland
21 posted 2000-05-11 11:50 AM

*unsheathing claws*

Might I offer up one small morsel of truth Michael my dear?
He obviously was not your best friend, and SHE is not worthy of your affections to treat you so harshly. Ending a relationship needn't be absolutely devastating, you can tell someone it's over without throwing things in their face. It is usually someone who is insecure and has a low self-esteem that degrades or hurts others for their own gain.
Time will fix this I am sure, it will prolly be a long slow process, but in the meantime be brave and strong, and never ever forget there are people in this world who will not stab you in the back. (myself included)
I am so sorry you are feeling so much pain, words can't fix your heart....
Much love and hugs and a tiny little *kiss*
{wink}
Your ever faithful admirer
Rose Red

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » What You Pray For

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary