navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » Promise
Open Poetry #7
Post A Reply Post New Topic Promise Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana

0 posted 2000-05-03 05:41 PM

In my daydreams, we're walking side by side
Strolling along the shore
Gossiping about the tide
Basking in pleasant, treasured company
No rules or regulations
Unworried and carefree.
But life is not that simple nor that kind.
You are not my playmate;
Just the best friend I could find.
When I need you, I always hear your voice
Nudging away my fears,
Helping me make the right choice.
You know the things of which I'm most ashamed,
But you love me anyway
Without assigning blame.
You inspire with your courage and bright smile,
But sometimes make me useful
And lean on me a while.
You've made me better than I would have been.
"Goodbye" is not an option -
You're my forever friend.

© Copyright 2000 suthern - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-05-03 07:32 PM

Ah! You have written the best 'friend' poem ever...I believe once someone becomes my friend, they are stuck with me for life!! LOL This is a wonderful tribute to your best friend...I hope he appreciates you!  
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2000-05-03 07:39 PM

Suthern~
Lady, this is an absolutely awesome poem with so much depth and feeling.
That's just exactly what friendship is all about ...

It's just so simple ...
what we give a friend
we give ourselves.

Love and great big bear hugs
for this beauty!
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2000-05-03 09:23 PM

I, too, know the thing of which you're most ashamed...that of picking on poor, sweet Balladeer. that's ok, suthern girl. I love ya and I'm sure you'll never suffer from a toe amputation, either. Love the poem......
pen of passion
since 1999-08-11
Posts 234

4 posted 2000-05-03 10:23 PM

I enjoyed your poem.  I like your choice of words:  strolling, gossiping, basking, etc.
Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
5 posted 2000-05-04 12:37 PM

what a lovely tribute to your friend, suthern.

Corinne

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
6 posted 2000-05-04 09:32 AM

PDV: Thank you so much!!! Such praise from you means so much to me! *S*

Marge: And like PDV said... once I give myself, the poor soul is stuck with me! LOL. Thank you!

Now Deer: Why would I be ashamed of harassing you? LOL I realize I could do it better, but my lack gives me incentive, not shame! LOL. Thanks...

Pen: Thank you! (I also lollygag a lot! LOL)

Corinne: Thank you very much!

Yanno, I posted this yesterday afternoon... and couldn't have imagined what events the evening would bring. A train derailed a few blocks from my home and is spilling hazardous chemicals... so I was part of a mandatory evacuation. Fortunately, I had a place to go other than a shelter... but as I was driving to my sister's, I realized I didn't even have a toothbrush... I'd used my few minutes the police gave me to get out playing cat rodeo. All utilities are off in that area and I don't know when I'll get to go home... so if I don't respond for a while, it's lack of computer, not rudeness. *S*

Especially lately, I've been guilty of despairing over what I don't have... but when you have just a moment to decide what's important to you, it's inevitably lives that matter and friendships that sustain. I am so very grateful for friendships that make me a wealthy woman in the only way that really counts.

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
7 posted 2000-05-04 10:32 AM

Suthern this is deeply touching! You have described a most wonderful friendship  

You both have a heart of gold, and I know it will be a frienship that holds like glue.

My dear, sometimes it takes us something like that train to make us realize what we do have and what's important. Thanks for pointing that out, as for me I can say I was doing the same, and I don't want a tragedy to make me realize I should be counting what I have, and not what I don't!

Bless ya Hon! BIG HUGS

Corazon
since 2000-02-02
Posts 1209

8 posted 2000-05-04 11:52 AM

this is incredible girl...2 hearts of gold melded into one friendship...and you got it perfect with this one  
Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
9 posted 2000-05-04 02:05 PM

Anyone that knows your friendship, would ALWAYS want to walk by your side for a lifetime of caring and sharing ....
This is  beautiful , Suthern

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
10 posted 2000-05-04 02:47 PM

This is so touching and sweet Suthern...You will be in my thoughts but it sounds like your attitude will get you through this inconvenience. Hugs!
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
11 posted 2000-05-04 03:42 PM

"it's inevitably lives that matter and friendships that sustain. I am so very grateful for friendships that make me a wealthy woman in the only way that really counts."

So true my friend, so true..

HUSG

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
12 posted 2000-05-04 03:52 PM

You have described friendship so well...reminds me of the James Taylor song...Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you gotta do is call...and I'll be there...you got a friend.    James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » Promise

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary