navwin » Archives » Corner Pub #2 » Patriots for Peace
Corner Pub #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Patriots for Peace Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road

0 posted 2003-02-10 07:22 PM

What if they're right
And Saddam's a threat
What do we do
To nullify and yet
Not create more enemies
That hate us still more
Not start new wars
And more bloody gore
What is the answer
To hate and fear?
What can we do
To make things clear?
We want every person
To live in peace
To trust in our leaders
And for hatred to cease
But if we fight war
With yet more hate
Will we find a solution
Or just seal our fate?
When you are angry
What do you want?
A fist in your face
A hate-filled taunt?
Or some understanding
That makes you see
That though things are bad
You may START to agree
I'm not saying it's easy
But with tough love
You can take the sleazy
And with help from above
Bring souls together
Who are filled with sorrow
Where the heart goes
Then the mind will follow
Don't deal in hate
And sneering threat
If we kill one another
We'll be filled with regret
We have one chance
And one chance alone
To make the world work
When it's gone, it's gone
Don't let it all slide
Down to a war
Don't risk the future
That will make us all sore
Let's heal the sorrow
That lies between us all
Build bridges to the others
And hear their call
We were born as brothers
And sisters too
Don't hurt the many
To protect the few
If we have tolerance
One to another
Then our children's children
Will one day discover
The world is together
And Heaven's in our soul
When true PEACE is made
And LOVE is our goal

Please support PEACE DAY on February 15th 2003.
Let us come together and build bridges to a better world.
The old warlike solutions of yesterday must go.
All they create are NEW problems and hatreds for tomorrow.
There is never an easy time to start understanding one
another but we have to start somewhere. Why not NOW?
if we choose to slaughter in the name of peace and harmony
what message are we REALLY sending to the future?
If you ever march just one time for any cause please
make it for this one and on this day. The future of our
children and their children's children may depend upon
it... Go in Peace on February 15th, for a new world...

[This message has been edited by allan (02-10-2003 07:28 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Allan Tierney - All Rights Reserved
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
1 posted 2003-02-10 07:54 PM

allan - this is a very profound write. I don't know what the answer is to world peace. It seems almost unreachable. Yet, I pray each night for it and thank the Lord each morning that we are all still here. Heaven help us.  Chris

"Hope" is the thing with feathers-
that perches in the soul....

-Emily Dickinson

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
2 posted 2003-02-10 10:33 PM

Allan this is a great piece and so much truth in it.  Why do we keep making the same mistakes over and over again?  Joyce
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
3 posted 2003-02-10 10:37 PM

I can appreciate this post. Imagine! If we could make friends with our enemies we would have no enemies - wonderful thought that, wish I had said that first, don't know who did but great thought.  Thank you.
allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
4 posted 2003-02-11 12:30 PM

Thank you very much everybody. I truly wish this could come to pass. If we don't do something about this soon the whole world is going to overdose on cynicism and there will be no chance left. We mustn't be left in the situation where violence is the only solution left. We are already so late on this. There has been a new world aching to be born since the end of WWII - my parents missed it due to the cold war. We are going to miss it if we build  a replacement for that for the sake of the military, military industrial complex and CIA - this time against Islam. There must be a meeting of minds, attempts at communication and understanding. We can't shout threats from opposite sides of the globe because we are coming closer each day - the capacity to inflict damage on each other has taken an exponential leap. We must now communicate, understand each other or many millions are going to die. I feel it. We are on that path. We must get off it. The rhetoric of Bush and Co is headed straight down this path to misery it seems to me...

Feb 15 - One chance to say "No..., wait, there is another way."

[This message has been edited by allan (02-11-2003 03:55 PM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2003-02-21 04:39 AM

what other way?

I see none.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
6 posted 2003-02-21 01:34 PM

do you have an answer, allan?
allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
7 posted 2003-02-21 02:42 PM

Certainly there is another way. It is the other way that Iraqi exiles are saying here in the UK that should be taken.

1) Stop the sanctions and let the Iraqi people get strong once more. Given time they will overthrow Saddam. Look at the overthrow of communism - the people of those countries did it themselves and those countries had far more weapons and soldiers and police infrastructure than Saddam.

2) Pour UN troops and many many more inspectors in there to cover Iraq.

3) Provide development aid and staff to bring the country to realise that we want to help there and in so doing undermine the sick regime that Saddam keeps in place.

The Iraqi exiles here are saying that the Iraqi people do want Saddam to fall and that they CAN do it. They DO NOT want the Iraqi people and its infrastructure bombed into a new stone age.

DO listen because there are voices calling for another peaceful way. Don't take the pompous and seemingly "easy" path of this "apparently" simple, traumatic and violent solution.

[This message has been edited by allan (02-21-2003 03:42 PM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
8 posted 2003-02-21 06:48 PM

what makes you think that people want to overthrow Saddam? It seems to me that if it was willed, it would be done.

You ever heard the saying "nice guys finish last"? Usually help if offered when people show the desire, at the least, to help themselves.  

allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
9 posted 2003-02-21 08:11 PM

passing shadows, thanks for a post I can finally respond to without feeling I'm ranting!

There was a time when America and Iraq were "friends". There were cordial visits by Rumsfeld and others with wide smiles and handshakes. At that time Saddam was America's man. The US had decided to help Saddam defeat Iran. That didn't happen however, they slaughtered so many of each other that in the end twelve years olds were on the front line - especially in Iran. The US was selling Saddam weapons and giving him support. Then it all went wrong. Since then the US has decided that he must go and that they can't be friends.

This is a gross simplification but it mirrors a certain banality in the way American foreign relations seem to be carried out. Especially in these times when Bush states that you are either for or ag'in us.

I truly believe in Jaw-Jaw rather than War-War. An enemy really DOES find it hard to fight a helping hand. And the people of Iraq DO want to remove Saddam - we have many Iraqi exiles in Britain and they tell us this.

The Idi Amins, Ceucescu's and Saddam Husseins of this world do eventually topple
THEMSELVES - they alienate enough people with their isolation and subsequent paranoia that they can trust no one, they reduce to a core and then they are gone. I do believe that the last twelve or so years of isolation and fear in Iraq have helped MAINTAIN him in power.

We should go in now in great numbers and there could be a sort of de facto peaceful invasion. Where is he going to turn to. He is surrounded by weaponry - Israel, Turkey, etc. Exactly who is he threatening? If the UN was to send in major numbers of troops and we got aid in there and started saving some of the hundreds of thousands of infant deaths that have taken place due to the sanctions we could really change this thing around peacefully.

I sincerely believe that the motivations of the US government are in doubt. They want to prove something. I am not comfortable at all that they prove this something at the inevitable expence of innocent lives. I find this behaviour despicable as does the vast majority of my compatriots.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
10 posted 2003-02-22 04:07 AM

allan, how did it go wrong, the break-up of friends, we and Iraq? Did we help Saddam obtain more power than he could deal with properly? And if so, are we now to blame for his people being in the situation they are in now? What happened?

That proves my point, nice guys finish last...we helped, and what did it get us? So should we do it again? Should we just tell him he doesn't have to disarm and hope for the best? Let him go on making weapons of mass destruction and he'll own the world soon enough. Do you want to live under Saddam?

If someone in power doesn't listen, what is the use of Jaw-Jaw? I'm not saying I am for war, no one in their right mind is...but the cards are held by more than one country...and I feel like we are being forced into playing the hand....folding is not an option.

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
11 posted 2003-02-22 11:26 AM

Seems to me when the hand doing the feeding keeps getting bitten somethings got to be done to prevent its continuing, before the hand is lost.  Nice guys more often than not do finish last. No one wants war. I'm on the upside of the downside of my life and as long as I have been alive I would take a bet that there has been a war somewhere going on - that is 7/24/365 for ever and ever.  I am not willing to forget those who gave up their lives that I might have the the right to live in a country that honors freedom above all else. Freedom unfortunately costs and the price is immeasurable.
allan
since 2000-04-09
Posts 620
On the road
12 posted 2003-02-22 08:24 PM

passing shadows, what I am pointing out is that your country does not have clean hands. We in Europe are NOT unaware of the dirty arms-selling that America has done around the world. Nor are we unaware of the dirty dictators it suited US purposes to support. But we still hear Americans talking in such naive terms about their governments and that they only want to help the world. Do you actually believe this? It seems an incredible feat of denial to us. Surely you have read the same information as us and read the CIA testimony on these things. And Watergate and how many other dirty areas? And yet we hear the same tired myth again and again: America is a wonderful freedom loving country who is only trying to bring democracy and freedom to the world. The evidence says otherwise - not only the evidence of your own CIA but the evidence of the history books - look at the Contras and the dirty stuff that went down in South America for years. Please read about the US support for the Shah and then Saddam. The US gets involved on the world stage for its own national interests and for no other reason.

I wonder who you feel you are convincing when you simply ignore evidence and simply reassert the good-hearted purely humanitarian impulses of your noble leaders. Please, as you say over there: "Get real."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Corner Pub #2 » Patriots for Peace

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary