navwin » Archives » Corner Pub #2 » 'Twas the day 'fore Thanksgiving
Corner Pub #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic 'Twas the day 'fore Thanksgiving Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Street Heart
since 2002-09-05
Posts 349
Pennsylvania,USA

0 posted 2002-11-25 04:50 PM

'Twas the day 'fore Thanksgiving
   and I'm minus a house
And the dream's still recurring
   'bout not having a spouse
Soon the stuffing is stuffed
   in the turkey with care
in hopes indigestion
   I won't have to bear
The pilgrims all wrestled
   with bugs in their beds
with visions of indians
   scalping their heads
With them in my mem'ry
   right under my cap,
I just settled down
   knowing I'll never nap
Rememb'ring how through last Winter
   arose such disaster
Seems Spring never grows
   what I've always been after
'Twas the day 'fore Thanksgiving
   and I'm minus a home
Forever occuring
   forever I roam

Geoffrey Sonnen

11/22/94

Please pardon the obvious plagiarization of "Twas the Night Before Christmas".Holidays are never easy for me.This time in '94,I was particularly bitter and cynical.Although,this was the 2nd most difficult time in my life,it pales dramatically in comparison to the 1st most agonizing,which was within '99-01.No millenium celebration for me,I'll tell you.Honestly,when I look at this particular work,though,I have to laugh. Those lines about indigestion and the Pilgrims crack me up!
   Yes,it is Thanksgiving time again,a holiday set aside to emphasize the importance of being grateful for the blessings you have.Lest we forget those without those blessings.Please keep these ones in mind,whether by donation...or by prayer.I truly believe that the grace said at your warm gathering before your table of plenty should mention these souls who need our Love and rememberance.
www.readio.com

If a man has not discovered something he is willing to die for,his life is not worth living.

Martin Luther King,Jr. Detroit,1963

[This message has been edited by Street Heart (11-25-2002 04:57 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Geoffrey Sonnen - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2002-11-25 05:05 PM

Dear Geoffry,  I so enjoyed your poem.  I am sure you are not the first to steal the style but you have done it well.  I hope you are in happier circumstance and indeed we must remember those in need in our prayers and from our purses.  Joyce
Street Heart
since 2002-09-05
Posts 349
Pennsylvania,USA
2 posted 2002-11-25 05:33 PM

Thank you,Joyce.Yes,things are better for me,although,any holiday stirs up hunger and memories of loss.At this point,Groundhog day can even sadden me,although,no where near to the effect that Christmas does.I live in a huge house with 3 other guys.Two of them have many friends and are from this area in PA.Judging by the amount of food that is currently being prepared,you'd think the King Family was coming! I am definitely a food fan,so...I try to deal with it the best I can.

Love,Geoff

P.S.I hope you have a beautiful T-Day!

If a man has not discovered something he is willing to die for,his life is not worth living.

Martin Luther King,Jr. Detroit,1963

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
3 posted 2002-11-25 11:58 PM

Dear Geoff:  I just read your charming, though somewhat sad poem and the reply to Joyce.  I am so glad that your circumstances have improved and hope this time next year, finds this to be even more true!
We went to the food bank today with our annual pre-Thanksgiving donations.  We have a handicapped son, who is 37 and it is a great pleasure for him to do what he can every year, before any major holiday.  I know people need help all year round and not just at holidays, but that is about all we can manage.  Just want you to know we are aware of the great need for compassion and concrete help, when possible.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your friends.

Betty Lou Hebert

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Corner Pub #2 » 'Twas the day 'fore Thanksgiving

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary