navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » The Manufacturing Process (my first in months , please read)
Open Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Manufacturing Process (my first in months , please read) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Enola
since 2000-02-11
Posts 138
England

0 posted 2000-06-28 07:01 AM

“…the male spends his life attempting to be female.  He attempts to do this by…claiming as his own all female characteristics – and projecting onto women all male traits…”        Valerie Solanos

Upon a crucifix she hangs,
Waiting to be one.
Re-united with a strength once lost,
Knowing what she leaves behind.
Her broken heart, too weak and shamed,
A mind distorted and unkind.
For the greater good she lies,
For the greater good she dies.

PS: I'm not trying to offend anyone (or even express my opinion), just attempting to dicuss a subect.

The tragedy of it is that nobody sees the look of desperation on my face. Thousands and thousands of us, and we're passing one another without a look of recognition.

© Copyright 2000 Enola - All Rights Reserved
Mike
Member Elite
since 1999-06-19
Posts 2462

1 posted 2000-06-28 08:00 AM

Finely written poem.  As far as the discussion, my poor and feeble mind is incapable of such deep thought...  will leave that one up to the philosophers in the group.
angelswing
since 2000-02-10
Posts 705
United Kingdom
2 posted 2000-06-29 10:36 AM

You saw the reply I put at the other site, I feel the same the second time I read it, it's still great, nice one Debs .
L.of.L. Tom .
ps Why don't you come back here and write as it's much better and I can read your poems much easier . Also the people here are more friendly and the searches easier, please, I don't want to have to beg .

Insanity is a perfectly normal responce to an abnormal world -R.D.Laing.-

Corazon
since 2000-02-02
Posts 1209

3 posted 2000-06-29 11:51 AM

I am not sure I understand this, I like the poem but combined with your quote, I am confused?
redheart angrybraids
since 2000-04-16
Posts 410
honolulu, hawaii
4 posted 2000-06-29 12:46 PM

okay, the poem, i really like, the idea,
is the this a transvestational look at religions over all effect? i don't know just a guess,
kindly,
redheart angrybraids

Kindly,
Redheart Angrybraids

Enola
since 2000-02-11
Posts 138
England
5 posted 2000-06-30 08:35 AM

Corazon - The quote is intended to contradict the poem, show opposing sides of one subject, which is women in this society and how they are percieved by others and themselves.  The religious aspect is there to aid the view the poem is (trying) to show.  
I once said to one of my friends 'thanks to the person who started the opression of women, for making my life so unbearable', my friend said 'well, that's God for you'.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them.

The tragedy of it is that nobody sees the look of desperation on my face. Thousands and thousands of us, and we're passing one another without a look of recognition.

redheart angrybraids
since 2000-04-16
Posts 410
honolulu, hawaii
6 posted 2000-07-03 01:11 PM

i just wanted to say again, that i really liked this poem, and the provokeing energy it carrys.

Kindly,
Redheart Angrybraids

Corazon
since 2000-02-02
Posts 1209

7 posted 2000-07-03 04:32 PM

thanks, sometimes I don't like a poem explained, as each reader sees something different, but your explanation really helps, and yes it is effective, i can see the reasoning, thanks for taking the time to explain  
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
8 posted 2000-07-03 05:02 PM

wow a great poem, really enjoyed it. I must admit that the quote caught my eye as I have read the scum manifesto myself and also wrote a poem on Valerie Solanas. If you are interested /pip/Forum4/HTML/002750.html

excellent poem.

A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Enola
since 2000-02-11
Posts 138
England
9 posted 2000-07-04 04:17 AM

Thank you yet again for replying.  Every time I read the poem, I can see different meanings, it sums up so many of my thoughts and views - mostly unintentionally! It's interesting to see how other people have intepreted it.  I'm really glad you all liked it, I was worried that it wouldn't go down too well.
Brian - I'll read your poem as soon as I've finished here.  I've always wondered what made Valerie the way she was, do you know of any sites or books about her and/or SCUM?

The tragedy of it is that nobody sees the look of desperation on my face. Thousands and thousands of us, and we're passing one another without a look

JulieAnn
since 2000-06-12
Posts 754
Earth 3rd Rock from the sun!!
10 posted 2000-07-04 04:24 AM

I am not sure what I think of this...we live in a new age....and it's been a long time since the "oppression" of women.....Mens toys are expensive...they need two incomes just to satisfy their needs.....anyway, I too do not mean to offend anyone.....but....like I said I don't know what to think of it...just a little bewildered I guess....it is a very good poem though!!  

Julie :)

Enola
since 2000-02-11
Posts 138
England
11 posted 2000-07-04 05:23 AM

Brain - I've just read your poem, I love it!  You're a Manics fan, aren't you - I knew there had to be another one somewhere on this site.
JulieAnn - Personally, I still believe that there is some opression going on, and quite frankly it disgusts me.  We live in a New Age, like you say,and it's still happeneing.  
I can't say I blame you for being bewildered, it's pretty extreme, but I guess it had to be.  Thanks for replying, any reactions are appreciated greatly..

The tragedy of it is that nobody sees the look of desperation on my face. Thousands and thousands of us, and we're passing one another without a look

OLIAS
since 2000-06-20
Posts 1090
Pearl city Iowa
12 posted 2000-07-04 10:19 AM

I loved the poem, not to sure I can relate to the content, I prefer an asexual approach to religion and life (if thats possible), I just think whatever our gender we all have the power and opportunity to do great good and evil, and oppresion of all kinds deserves positive descrimination. (climbing down from my pulpit).Thanks for posting, this made me think.

Olias.

Enola
since 2000-02-11
Posts 138
England
13 posted 2000-07-05 06:16 AM

OLIAS - "whatever our gender we all have the power and opportunity to do great good and evil"
I definately agree with that, I don't mean to put women on a higher plane than men (the only reason I wrote it from a female point of view is that -being female- I can identify with it).  It just saddens me that some people (male & female) can't see what they are capable of - in a positive sense.  

darkmagikwoman
since 2000-07-03
Posts 2

14 posted 2000-07-05 08:07 AM

Enola, it is a moving poem, using beautiful laced together words. Can not wait until you write your next. Hope it will be as beautiful as that one and strongly written.
Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
15 posted 2000-07-05 10:16 AM

very thought provoking, the quote juxtaposed with the poem.

Corinne

Enola
since 2000-02-11
Posts 138
England
16 posted 2000-07-07 09:57 AM

Glad you all liked it.

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
17 posted 2000-07-07 10:02 AM

Contradiction to poem and quote accepted.  You have stirred many a thought with this one and one that deserves the process into which it now undertakes.  Great read.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » The Manufacturing Process (my first in months , please read)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary