navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #2 » The Nod
Dark Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Nod Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
demoninlove
since 2000-02-11
Posts 211
Dehradun

0 posted 2000-07-03 10:48 AM

THE NOD

We met again

An age had passed,
Nay, a thousand ages,
Since your love did wane.

Time had not dulled or stilled
The inflections of your voice,
Echoing in my brain

You stepped out of the coach
As serene as on the day you left,
Looked at me casually, without shame.

Your stranger's face overlapped
Your image, which since you left,
Had in my heart lain.

Waking me from my sleep of ages
As your face, nodding politely,
My sorrow did forever drain.

The thousand ages, there ended
With that indifferent nod.
I boarded my train.

Yet, remained a subdued longing
For the age, now forever past,
A bittersweet pain.

We never met again .....

© Copyright 2000 Deepak Menon - All Rights Reserved
lotharingia
since 2000-06-04
Posts 897
saarbruecken, Germany
1 posted 2000-07-03 11:25 AM

As all you poems are, this one too, is lyrical and serene. Funny how people with whom we once shared everything can become strangers. Better that way though, really.

Lotharingia
"For God's sake, he's a poet. Poets are meant to feel miserable. Otherwise, what the hell are they here for? What are they going to write about?"
Tom Holland

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

2 posted 2000-07-03 12:47 PM

~This one kills me.  Gosh, you know,...I can relate and it's so strange how you spend a good chunk of your time/life with someone and share yourself and can be THAT close and then how you can become perfect strangers, and pass eachother with a nod like that as if you didn't really live that with that person.  Ok,...I am rambling but it's so strange how that whole situation and experience is almost erased,...but it was once there and so rich and alive,...and then all that you shared of yourselves is put away somewhere.????? Sorry,...this one's taking me for a ride this morning.  I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THIS NOD LOOKS LIKE,...and what it makes you feel like inside.  Do excuse me for this outpour of my thoughts,...your poem has totally struck a chord in me. Great writing...definately affected me. Take care. *Peace.

[This message has been edited by SpitFire (edited 07-03-2000).]

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
3 posted 2000-07-03 03:08 PM

Oh yes, this affected me too. What a cold and hurtful thing, that nod is. And the way it trashes all the memories in one little gesture. Hurts. I too have seen it, and its not a nice experience.
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
4 posted 2000-07-03 03:10 PM

Oh yes, this affected me too. What a cold and hurtful thing, that nod is. And the way it trashes all the memories in one little gesture. Hurts. I too have seen it, and its not a nice experience.
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
5 posted 2000-07-03 03:11 PM

Rex
since 2000-06-29
Posts 482
Houston, Texas
6 posted 2000-07-03 03:18 PM

Nice one Deepak, brings back some painful memories.

Life be not God's greatest gift. Of what worth be life without the capability to love?

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
7 posted 2000-07-03 03:31 PM

Sorry, another webtv fritz, did not mean to post the same thing 3 times.  
Hardrock
since 2000-02-14
Posts 948
New Hampshire, USA
8 posted 2000-07-03 03:46 PM

Deepak...can't wait to read your book (psst,everybody...Deepak has a book waiting for distribution..but don't let him know I blabbed).  The line, "We never met again" really struck me...because I have seen this person so many times, and will see her again...but "we never met again".  Much meaning there in those words.  And what Spitfire said:  DITTO!!!  Hardrock
Joel the wolf
since 2000-04-06
Posts 1333
Angels Camp
9 posted 2000-07-03 09:59 PM

Yes Ditto for me also,
this is great my friend.

Joel.

I'll look for the book.

I howl a mournful song, that echos within my chambered heart, for all to read? nay for all to feel.

Jeremiah Johnson
since 2000-06-08
Posts 1223
Brooksville, Fl, U.S
10 posted 2000-07-04 12:15 PM

the same for me as well this is a great piece. that i enjoyed very much so do keep it up.

I'm a dying romantic and when i can no longer write i can no longer live -Jeremiah Johnson-

demoninlove
since 2000-02-11
Posts 211
Dehradun
11 posted 2000-07-04 10:45 PM

Dear Dear lotharingia,Rex,Catalina Moon,Hardrock,Joel,Jeremiah,
Spitfire said in prose what I wrote as a poem. I feel that each of my lifes experiences has been experienced by most of us. The "Nod" may be of many kinds - in this poem it was in passing at the railway station. But as one of you said - it is in many way a relief. The face that has become a stranger - overlaps the memories - unbelievable but yet happens. But using an immortal phrase from one of Rex's poems " A quiet, deathless ember" remains.... and always shall bringing a faint bittersweet pain.
Thank you all for your wonderful comments - they help me to expand the canvass of my mind immeasurably - and also let me know that I am mad or crazy...Smiles with pleasure.
Deepak

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #2 » The Nod

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary