navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » Welcome Footsteps
Open Poetry #9
Post A Reply Post New Topic Welcome Footsteps Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

0 posted 2000-08-29 11:04 PM

This piece was written after a work by the Dutch painter, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, titled, "Welcome Footsteps."

If you would like to see an image of the painting, it can be found HERE

Welcome Footsteps

'Twas hours before the pattern fell
from near without this marbled cell
And though entombed, the voices pried
and questioned cold, my ruse inside

For I had climbed in morning's kiss
stone steps to statues' leering hiss
Undaunted by their fright'ning stare
I slipped within our lover's lair

And minutes moved, and morning fell
away as though in serpent's spell
But doubt your words of urgent plea?
The Earth would sooner swallow me  

© Copyright 2000 Meadowmuse - All Rights Reserved
EagleOne
Member Elite
since 2000-03-07
Posts 2829
Between a laugh and a tear...
1 posted 2000-08-30 02:26 AM

Your words here paint an amazing picture for me. I'm off now to check out the link and view the painting.< !signature-->

"The heart and soul have no illusion of boundries when friendship is the quest"
~ My Angel.

[This message has been edited by EagleOne (edited 08-30-2000).]

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2000-08-30 03:06 AM

Claire~
Intriguing inspiration.
You certainly captured the canvas.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

3 posted 2000-08-30 08:21 AM

Eagle One, I was told by a very well intentioned friend last night after I posted this piece, that it was quite "overdone" with pretty words that didn't make sense,  and so I was actually a bit worried that it wouldn't be understood at all. I saw your response this morning, and must admit I am relieved. Isn't it curious how, within our own perception, a poem or other piece of writing can seem quite clear, but looking through the eyes and mind of another can bring an entirely different assessment. I know my friend has a keen eye for good poetry, and I respect his opinion very much, but perhaps in this case it is simply a matter of preference and taste. Sorry for rambling on so, I should just thank you and shut up!  THANK YOU!!  

Marge, thank you for these words that I really needed to hear today!  *and for the WONDERFUL e'mail last night!!

~ Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

Wilfred Yeats
Member Elite
since 2000-08-04
Posts 2704
Wilmington, Delaware
4 posted 2000-08-30 09:54 AM

I'll confess I looked at the painting first yet I'll insist  were anyone to ask That I'd have no trouble understanding your poem with or without picture - I created a Georgia OKeefe painting poem (below) for one I doubt really exists - that was fun too~S~ - (I loved this Claire - it spoke to me so sweetly)

Pink Iris (Georgia O'Keefe Inspiration)

Petals unfolded tender
     Inviting taking nectar
     Thinking of you

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
5 posted 2000-08-30 09:56 AM

Ah! lovely work...

essentiality captured so well...

Exceptional work, Claire...

You were always meant to be a poet...

regards,
sudhir

English Rose
since 2000-08-20
Posts 211
Berkshire, England
6 posted 2000-08-30 10:45 AM

Your written imigary compliments the painting very well......another winner!
Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

7 posted 2000-08-30 03:27 PM

Wilfred, thank you very much...I'm glad my poem spoke to someone! and I'm glad that you were able to hear it.    I love your O'keefe piece...it's lovely...and she's one of my favorite painters...thanks for sharing that with me.

Sudhir, that's one of the nicest things anyone has EVER said to me. Thank you very much.

English Rose, I appreciate you taking time to read and share with me your impressions.

~ Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
8 posted 2000-08-30 05:12 PM

Claire,

That "friend" of yours obviously doesn't understand good poetry.  This one is very pretty, my friend.

Michael

by Michael Auguste

"But I am so like everyone. And everyone is so like me
We cork our contents, lest they flee
Until our lives are spent
and d

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
9 posted 2000-08-30 07:54 PM

Not overdone at all and it makes perfect sense.  Lovely write and it does the painting justice in all it says and the imagery if radiates. Great one.
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
10 posted 2000-08-30 10:20 PM

"And minutes moved, and morning fell
away as though in serpent's spell
But doubt your words of urgent plea?
The Earth would sooner swallow me" This verse really stuck in my head, Claire.  And as for that friend who think's your pretty words don't mean anything, I definitely disagree. Your poem spoke to me without the painting's help (although the painting made the vision all the more lovely).  You have a command on vocabulary and a talent for uniqueness like I've never seen.  You continue to be one of my most favored poets.    

*Krista Knutson*

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucious

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
11 posted 2000-08-30 10:33 PM

Claire--This is lovely and paints a picture in my mind that surpasses canvas bloom.
Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

12 posted 2000-08-31 08:17 AM

Michael, my friend does understand good poetry, actually. Matter of fact, he writes some of the best around. It's more a matter of individual taste and preferences, and which way our vines swing.    

Mark, I thank you for taking time to read and examine this piece and the painting, and I appreciate your thoughts.

Krista, again, as always, your words leave me with very few of my own... all I can say is thank you.

Martie, "canvas bloom" ... how wonderfully put. Thank you for your softly sweetened words today, my friend.

~ Claire

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » Welcome Footsteps

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary