navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » O vs. OU.....when is one right over the other?
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic O vs. OU.....when is one right over the other? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rachaelfuchsberger
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2007-02-21
Posts 609
Las Vegas, NV

0 posted 2007-02-22 03:41 PM

I've seen words like color, favorite and other such words spelled with an ou instead of the simple o. What's the difference? Does spelling it colour make it more meaningful or make it have a different meaning than using color? Just a bit of confusion here.

Rachael

© Copyright 2007 Rachael Fuchsberger - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2007-02-22 04:19 PM

colour, along with several other similar words, is the British spelling. We do some thing differently on this side of the pond.

MoonShadow
since 2001-08-02
Posts 943
Dark side of the Moon.
2 posted 2007-02-22 04:29 PM

Rachael... There is no difference in the meanings of the spellings other than 'Colour' is used more in European english speaking countries. It is also used more in Canada than in North America. However, there is no discernable difference in meaning. There is no inference of a more poetic nature of one over the other. There may have been some evolution in the entimology of the english language that caused a change from Colour to color, but they are one in the same in usage and pronunciation. I am not aware of any formal differences other than personal preference or habitual usage based upon cultural environment. My conclusion... they are one and the same, just spelled differently.
     Welcome to P.I.P. I do hope you enjoy sharing here. People here will gladly render all the help and encouragement they can.... including me.
     Once again, Welcome, Rachael.

MoonShadow

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
3 posted 2007-02-28 11:07 AM

Oh, but Not a Poet....one from hailing from Oklahoma always knows that OU is the better choice.

Go Sooners

CS

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2007-02-28 08:09 PM

Both color and colour come from the Latin word color
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » O vs. OU.....when is one right over the other?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary