navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » What Is Love?
Open Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Is Love? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
John Yaws
since 1999-10-09
Posts 860
Texas

0 posted 2000-04-04 01:21 AM

Can a person love? sight unseen?
And what, indeed, is love?
A feeling, ephemeral state?
And what is it made of?
A longing in a person’s heart-
For something felt, unseen…
A drawing? powerful indeed.
Oh, say, what does it mean?
Can love exist when there’s no touch?
And voice is never heard?
Or, in such a setting-
Is it just another word?
Abstract thought? Or, touch Divine?
A gift come from above-
Oh, won’t you tell this heart of mine-
Exactly what is love?

© Copyright 2000 John R. Yaws - All Rights Reserved
Xeonox
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-04-01
Posts 1764
CA, USA
1 posted 2000-04-04 01:28 AM

I have tried asking myself this question and I have also posted a poem labled What is love? Let me know what u think of me..Good poem you ahve there...

Ronil

Ronil (What I say I live by and what I live by is what I create).

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2000-04-04 07:34 AM

You ask some pretty good questions here, GS.. My personal opinion is that you certainly can "love" sight unseen - at least on some level.. Personal contact will wrap up those feelings in a complete package of some sort, though...
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2000-04-04 08:07 AM

A thought provoking poem..and I say yes in some cases but in most cases falling in love thru the internet does not guarantee anymore success than falling in love with a fantasy..it is a fantasy and it will remain a fantasy until a face to face meeting...this is the true measure to determine if a relationship will live or die.  Now its true the only ones who may pursue a further relationship would be the one's that first fall in love on the net....so it has been narrowed down somewhat..but still get real...you do not only fall in love with a personality..you fall in love with a person standing in front of you with personality.   James
Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
4 posted 2000-04-04 10:23 AM

Hi Gunslinger,

May be everyone has to fill thier heart with that which helps them to understand love the best, even if this means over the net for example, but for what ever reason they are looking they are in need and they will find it.

Cerenity

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
5 posted 2000-04-04 10:30 AM

When you find the answer to that GS...please fill me in too  
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 2000-04-04 10:26 PM

Wonderful ponderings, Gunslinger!

Denise

Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
7 posted 2000-04-04 11:28 PM

Wow....so many questions so few answers!! I've often wondered this myself...feelings so strong and sweeping you up completely and then you wonder if it's real....sure feels real and when it ends....there is no mistaking the pain that is way to real.  Well written with style and exquisite feeling.

Hold me for yesterday
Kiss me for tomorrow
But love me for today.

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
8 posted 2000-04-05 12:44 PM

When the romance has left, when the candle is left barely flickering in a puddle of wax and you still long to share hearts with this person-then that is love.  When you've run out of words to say but still want to sit quietly with that person and enjoy the stillness-that is love.  Good luck!  Nice work!

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
9 posted 2000-04-05 12:52 PM

Good questions. I can tell ya it's not a feeling of infactuation, looking for that big "feeling."  It's one accepting you for who you are, and vise versa. Sharing, caring, and COMMUNICATION!

Can there be love without touch? That I don't know. But I guess there can be, seeing as how I love God and I can't touch him.
Another thought for ya.

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2000-04-05 03:14 AM

You ask these questions so beautifully and I still don't have the answers
Like your poem
Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » What Is Love?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary