navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » Racing "Babies"
Open Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic Racing "Babies" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA

0 posted 2000-02-27 07:52 PM

As I see him putting on the helmet, strapping himself in, ready to fly down the track....
This son of mine, the eldest, trying to beat the wind, watching the lights, he's ready....
As he leaves the line, my heart beating wildly
with anticipation, a silent prayer-be careful boy...
Ten seconds later, he's won, it's over...for now---
His younger brother runs to meet him, rips open the hood, checks everything over....
Tires, guages, battery...we sit and wait till it's time for round 2...
While waiting, my mind wanders back, these 2 young men - yesterday they were my babies....
Not too long ago I held them, rocked them, and played so carefully with them...
I could keep them safe, I could keep them away from any harm...
What happened?? Here they are, these young men, and their Dad anticipating the next run....
It's the three of them, together, loving what they are doing and enjoying this precious time...
Bonding in a special way that will stay with them always, memories to keep forever...
And I sit, I worry, I pray and I will each Saturday until the snow flies again...
"Lord, thank you for this time they have, that they are healthy enough to be able to do this racing thing, and please, bring them all home safely."
These "babies" of mine, who ask "Where'd you get the grey hair?" ------ I wonder???

[This message has been edited by BSC (edited 02-27-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Bonnie Church - All Rights Reserved
childomine
since 2000-01-25
Posts 818
st. petersburg, FL
1 posted 2000-02-27 08:34 PM

It's so hard to let go and not worry when our "babies" have grown.  I really enjoyed this.  Makes me think of my own "babies" and how when they were little I believed I'd always be able to keep them safe.  Wonderful poem!
BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
2 posted 2000-02-27 09:25 PM

Childomine, thanks for reading this, just getting ready for them to start again for the year.....it's scary, but, what's a mother to do?
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2000-02-27 10:22 PM

Great poem! I understand the stress. All moms have it for one reason or another! All we can do is pray.  

Denise

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » Racing "Babies"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary