navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » The Weather In Oklahoma City
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Weather In Oklahoma City Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown

0 posted 2007-01-14 05:28 PM

Hi Everyone!
  My job is 21 miles away. I went to work Friday morning with no problem. But, by the time I got off work at 3 p.m., it was a whole different story. First off, I broke the other handle on my car trying to open the door. I broke the first handle at the end of November when we had that freeze. Then, I spent an hour trying to get the ice off of my car Friday so I could come home. Aven after an hour, I still didn't have all of the ice off of the car. But, I went ahead and headed home anyway. I was so cold. I got home alright.My driveway slopes. Lucky for me, I was able to get up in my driveway. Even the grass is frozen and slippery. I have even attempted to go out to my mailbox. Because It is out on the road, and I'm not sure I can make it out to the mailbox without falling. Anyway, it sleeted more yesterday, and then again today. It is so bad outside, that I am dreading trying to go to work in the morning. I will have to leave at 6 a.m. in order to get to work on time. So many people have lost power. But I have been one of the lucky ones, so far. I still have power.
  Well, I just thought I would let those of you who may be wondering about me, that I am okay. And, thank goodness I have a house with some heat, this year.

© Copyright 2007 Sue Graves - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2007-01-14 05:59 PM

Hi Sue!  I feel so badly for everyone down in the states that were badly hit with the freezing rain.

Right now we are gathering up our firewood as the same system is going to start here anytime now.

You take care..and everyone else down there too!

Thanks for popping in and letting us know you're okay Sue.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2007-01-14 07:46 PM

Good grief!  Is it just me or does everyone think that the weather is absolutely crazy?  Sue, I am sorry you are in this - as are we up in B.C., with this our 14th storm and sub-zero temperatures.

Stay warm, and take care.

Carpe' Diem    

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2007-01-14 08:50 PM

All of you in the path of this ice storm BE SAFE~
Do not attempt to travel ... heed the warnings and stay safe~

My prayers are with you all~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -             noles1@totcon.com

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2007-01-14 09:00 PM

Yep, amazing stuff all right. 71 deg high on Thursday, tee-shirt stuff for this time of year. The thermometer hasn't been above 21 since. We don't get much snow here usually. Instead, we get a nice slick layer of ice first. Then maybe some snow on top of that. Really makes driving a hazzard.

This time there is no snow at all, first the solid ice layer then some sleet on top of that. In fact, this morning we had "thunder sleet." A fairly mild sleet storm accompanied with thunder and lightning.

Oh well, that's just Oklahoma weather.

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
5 posted 2007-01-15 10:58 AM

Snow storms are frightening but ice is far worse.  I recall a sunny melting day on ice covered roads.  The water made the ice far more treacherous. It was like having no control at all.

Sue, I praying for your safety, and thanking you for letting us know the situation there.

Rae

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
6 posted 2007-01-15 06:41 PM

Gosh Sue, be careful lady, icy rain is a dangerous thing.
Here it's crazy too, but quite in the opposite way. Temps are way too high for the time of year and some trees started to blossom already. There are still some roses blooming in my garden...in JANUARI????!!!? and some show green sprouts already.
No sign of frost, snow or anything resembling, but winter will come, I'm sure and then a lot of plants will freeze to death. 2006 was the hottest year since 300 years in my land.

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2007-01-15 07:34 PM

Sue, congrats on making it home.  A lot of cars around here took home a few new bumps and bruises for their efforts in going to work today.  

Like Pete's area, KS had high temps last week, in the mid to warmer 60's.  Our area is in desperate need of moisture.  The falling temps began Friday night, and the pitting sound of icy pellets were heard around 6:00 a.m. Saturday morning.  I was supposed to work a couple of hours on Saturday, but the pelting sleet continued until the ground was white.  Not "snow" white.  Ice White.  

So we pretty much just cocooned ourselves.  A lot of people were pretty sure that this storm was coming, so a lot of folk stocked up for the long[er] weekend.  Between sleet, it snowed.  Then sleeted, and repeat.

Keep repeating.  

It's not really much thicker than 1 - 1.5 inches.  But it's packed.  The vehicles that were getting around on Sunday were pretty much 4WD or AWD.  The city "got ahead of the game" and sprayed some new slick stuff on the roads [some liquified salt product] and I'm not really sure if it helps or makes things worse.  At least with a layer of salt, people got a little traction!

And, the "old lady and old man walk" is prevalent in the area.  There IS not one assured footstep, believe me.  Slow and steady...

Today was clear and sunny, but with temps in the teens, there wasn't much melting at all, unless the roads had been gone over by cars numerous times.  So, main streets are fairly slushy, until this evening, when everyone goes home and the freeze sets up the tracks.  Tomorrow?  Rut city.

And so goes another winter in the midwest.  I have to smile, remembering back to California winters.  We got excited if the dog's water pool iced over by 1/16th of an inch.  

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
8 posted 2007-01-15 07:37 PM

I was going to complain about the -just at freezing- weather we've been having here in central California lately, but think I will forego as I don't believe there would be a whole lot of sympathy coming from this group!  

Best of luck all you who have more ice than road - stay safe & warm!

ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
9 posted 2007-01-15 10:05 PM

Sending you a Michigan Angel Sue...we are accustomed to these little quirks here...
Be safe.  Our prayers are always around you.

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
10 posted 2007-01-17 04:22 AM

Safe driving sweet Sue... be extra careful on the road and keep warm !!  I will have good thoughts for you ... RDB
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
11 posted 2007-01-17 02:36 PM

Wow, and I've complained about the 6 or so inches where I live that have caused me to miss at least 10 days of work and to the point that legislature is trying to waive makeup days for public school students because they've missed so many days that instead of getting out mid-june they will be in school through july!

I spun out on the ice so now i am terrified of driving my car, its a stick and it is having major problems right now anyways, broken heater core and the speedometer is picking and choosing when to work. I need to have it looked at.

But I am thankful that we dont have too much ice!

Sorry to hear things are so bad on the other side of the country.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » The Weather In Oklahoma City

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary